• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Steve Kerr: Best NBA Coach of All-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerRep

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think that as the years go on, people will be saying Kerr is the best coach of all time (NBA).

PlayerRep said:
I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think that as the years go on, people will be saying Kerr is the best coach of all time (NBA).

I would not be surprised if he steps down after this run. He is a great coach no doubt. But I think you have to look at Pop..22 straight years in the playoffs. 5 NBA championships and I would say without the star power the Warriors (or Phil Jackson had with Bulls and Lakers) have had. It all depends on how long Kerr wants to coach. If he decides to stay and the roster doesn't get blown up then perhaps.

Not even close. Pop is the best for now. Kerr might get there. We'll see in another 15 years, though.

UncleRico said:
PlayerRep said:

I would not be surprised if he steps down after this run. He is a great coach no doubt. But I think you have to look at Pop..22 straight years in the playoffs. 5 NBA championships and I would say without the star power the Warriors (or Phil Jackson had with Bulls and Lakers) have had. It all depends on how long Kerr wants to coach. If he decides to stay and the roster doesn't get blown up then perhaps.

Mark Jackson could have coached this team to NBA championships too! Kerr is great, but was in the right place at the right time! Look what Luke Walton did when Kerr was out! Phil Jackson should be on the list too! I agree, Kerr has work to do! Coach Pop, definitely #1 IMHO!

UncleRico said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes, Pop is a great coach, but to say he did it without the "star power" of the Warriors or the Bulls is to dismiss the talents of David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Genobili and Kawhi Leonard, among others. Duncan for an entire generation was one of the best post players in the game, something like 19 years. As a small-market team, the Spurs suffered from under-exposure in the media, but they did not suffer from lack of talent.

The only possible detraction from Kerr's legacy is longevity, and I fully agree, he may not stay around to establish that. He's got some serious health issues, and few things in life are as painful as a bad back.

But the system he's developed is a joy to behold. It blends the best of his mentors--Lute Olson,
Phil Jackson and Pop himself. New players are always surprised by how much fun practises are--loud music, side-contests, constant banter. His mantra of "strength in numbers" is more than a phrase--he practises it. This year's much-maligned bench was spectacular against the Blazers.

But I believe Kerr's legacy will be the "death lineup." Remember, back in 2015, their first championship, they were down 2-1 to the Cavs, and playing the fourth game in Cleveland. The big front-line of the Cavs had been killing the Warriors. Charles Barkley had proclaimed, "No jump-shooting team will ever win an NBA title."

This is when Kerr put Iguodala in the starting lineup--nobody taller than 6'7". The game started off terribly, the Warriors down by about eight. Kerr at that moment could have stopped the experiment. But then that lineup started clicking, and the Cavs could not adjust. The Warriors won that game handily, and took the next two games too.

The new era of "position-less" basketball had begun.

Yet Kerr's biggest coaching challenge may be just ahead--the Milwaukee Bucks. They play defense, have great guard play but also three seven-footers with athleticism and three-point range. Can the small-ball concept prevail? This will definitely test Kerr's coaching mettle.

AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:

Are you saying that the trend towards smaller quicker players began in the 1960's?

Wait, wrong thread. Sorry.

Jeez, AWN, the trend began in 1891 with James Naismith. I guess I didn't make myself clear.

maroonandsilver said:
fanofzoo said:
maroonandsilver said:
Red Auerbach.

Hey I said that but how many titles did he win and you got to love the cigar.

9 in 10 seasons as Coach with the Celtics and 16 overall counting his years as GM.

Yeah but look at what that cigar represented: In effect, the old plantation system. No free agency back then. You glommed onto a Russell or a Sam Jones or a Bob Cousy, and you had him for his entire career. Put a Bill Russell on my team, and I too will be in the Hall of Fame.

Plus, the playoffs were a breeze in those days compared to today. Back then Boston always got a first-round bye. Then they played the winner of a best of five series in a best of seven, before playing a best of seven for the title. So you had to win eight games to win a championship, versus 16 today. To make it to their fifth consecutive finals, the Warriors have already won four more games than the Celtics had to to win a title back in 1965. That's a helluva run, and hella great coaching in my opinion.

Sorry, Red. No cigar.

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:

Are you saying that the trend towards smaller quicker players began in the 1960's?

Wait, wrong thread. Sorry.

Jeez, AWN, the trend began in 1891 with James Naismith. I guess I didn't make myself clear.

There is absolutely no way that a Hakeem Olajuwon could get any playing time in today's NBA. Dude should have worked on his footwork and fadeaway jump shot if he wanted to make a name for himself. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't pretend to know the real answer to this question, but:

Steve Kerr is the best person to find himself (player AND coach) on perhaps the 2 best BB teams of all-time, but I don't think he's been indispensable to either team. C'mon, Anyone can coach an all-star team. He's never coached anything but the "best team in the league". If that impresses some people, so be it, but not me. If he was the Charlotte Hornets coach, that team would still suck. He's nothing special.

Zirg said:
I don't pretend to know the real answer to this question, but:

Steve Kerr is the best person to find himself (player AND coach) on perhaps the 2 best BB teams of all-time, but I don't think he's been indispensable to either team. C'mon, Anyone can coach an all-star team. He's never coached anything but the "best team in the league". If that impresses some people, so be it, but not me. If he was the Charlotte Hornets coach, that team would still suck. He's nothing special.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That, and he's a grade a douche bag (like Popovich). They're two peas in a pod...we saw Pop's genius this year without a star-studded lineup.

Red Auerbach.

And there is no argument until someone wins 16+ Championships. Not even Phil Jackson can be mentioned in the same breath.

PlayerRep said:
Jackson and Kerr would have won 20 championships with the players RA had.

Pure conjecture. Like saying Tiger Woods would have 40 majors by now if his wife hadn't beaten the crap out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back