• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shannon???

70Griz

DONOR
I've been in AZ for a number of weeks and wondered if I missed any postings about SS being retained as head coach. It seems like no announcement either way would be hindering SS or a new coach with regard to recruiting duties this spring and summer. Any news?

Recruiting can't wait 'til the end of June. Recruits decisions are being made now. If she was going to be fired, it would have been done after the tournament.

tourist said:
Recruiting can't wait 'til the end of June. Recruits decisions are being made now. If she was going to be fired, it would have been done after the tournament.

She only still at UM because of her playing days...

Her coaching is average at best.

She's on the list to attend most of the GSA Spring Tour events throughout the state in May and June.

Paytonlives said:
astutegriz said:
The decision was made. She’s back.

Again,

I would like to see what she could do with a healthy team. She hasn't had her entire team healthy since she took over for Robin. She has always been without her "Star" player.

Paytonlives said:
astutegriz said:

Again,

One would think that sitting beside Robin for 250 years would leave you with a fair knowledge of basketball, if you were awake and paying attention.

I am rooting for Shannon--she's originally from Billings, after all.

I do hope she will focus more effort on recruiting Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, LA, San Diego, Phoenix and Denver, just like Travis. I don't think The Lady Griz can any longer field a dominant team composed almost entirely of Montana girls and girls from the rest of the Inland Pacific Northwest (Spokane, The Tri Cities, Coeur d' Alene, etc.)--I think we need some excellent inner city girls along with the local girls for us to be competitive.

And hopefully, Shannon will get her money's worth to the extreme from the weight room and training facilities within The Washington Champion's Center so that starting in 2019-2020, the team will have dramatically fewer season-ending injuries !!!

Doesn't she have 1 year left on her existing contract? If so I would expect that she will be back. Either way, this will be a make or break scenario for Shannon. If she wins the conference and gets to the Dance, she will be offered a new contract. If she finishes anywhere under 4th place, I believe she is gone. 2,3 or 4 is anyone's guess.

Doesn't she have 1 year left on her existing contract? If so I would expect that she will be back. Either way, this will be a make or break scenario for Shannon. If she wins the conference and gets to the Dance, she will be offered a new contract. If she finishes anywhere under 4th place, I believe she is gone. 2,3 or 4 is anyone's guess.

cclarkblues said:
Paytonlives said:
astutegriz said:

Again,

One would think that sitting beside Robin for 250 years would leave you with a fair knowledge of basketball, if you were awake and paying attention.

You would think so.

But Im not seeing it.

I predict a very strong year with the returners, newcomers, and finally a healthy team. I think Shannon has grown in the job and will do fine.

billingsgriz said:

I do hope she will focus more effort on recruiting Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, LA, San Diego, Phoenix and Denver, just like Travis. I don't think The Lady Griz can any longer field a dominant team composed almost entirely of Montana girls and girls from the rest of the Inland Pacific Northwest (Spokane, The Tri Cities, Coeur d' Alene, etc.)--I think we need some excellent inner city girls along with the local girls for us to be competitive.

And hopefully, Shannon will get her money's worth to the extreme from the weight room and training facilities within The Washington Champion's Center so that starting in 2019-2020, the team will have dramatically fewer season-ending injuries !!!
FYI, Travis has mostly recruited the Seattle-Tacoma area and California (mostly the Bay Area and Los Angeles). He's also signed his share of international players. I don't think he's signed anyone that came from the Denver, Phoenix, or San Diego areas.

But you do make a great point about the where the Lady Griz should expand their recruiting base. You mentioned the major metro areas in California, as well as Denver and Phoenix. I would have to throw in Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Dallas-Fort Worth as possible areas as well.

Assistant Coach Mike Petrino was an assistant at Colorado in 2015/16. Should have some recruiting connections there.
Kind of curious on why Shannon hired Petrino but after reading his bio, I know why. He is married to Eric Hays daughter.

Gaeilge1 said:

No. She started with A 3-Year contract. This is the end of those 3 years.

billingsgriz said:

I know that at one point the recruiting budget for the Lady Griz was obscenely low under Robin Selvig. In fact there was one year in the early 2000's (if I am remembering right) that I think the budget for recruiting was less than $10,000 and I think that Robin only spent $7,000 of the $10K that year. I would assume that Kent gives Shannon a budget number and she is the one that allocates it between coaches salaries, recruiting and other expenses.

If Shannon was going to be fired it would have happened last year when the blank hit the fan hard. Haslam has no back bone. Shannon is not only a bad coach she is an abusive one as well. She is exactly what you give as an example of what you would NOT want for your daughter as a mentor. The fact that 9 girls have quit under her and more may be following show that the Administration does not care about its players well being. They only care about money and budgets and who knows what else?? It would not matter if Shannon recruited all 5 star players. She would still not be able to win a Championship. I have said it before and I will say it again - Shannon cannot coach her way out of a paper bag!! The discord that she fosters in her program is sick. She has no clue how to bring a team together. She only knows how to manipulate and threaten. Karma is a bitch. Maybe why she can't seem to have a healthy team. She will have another losing season and we will be right back here next year debating the same ***t. I feel sorry for the girls and assistant coaches that have to endure what should be the best of times in a hostile environment.

Back