• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early of Next Year's Roster

dayday

DONOR
My guess at Starters:
F- Mack Anderson (So.)
F- Donaven Dorsey (R-SR)
G-Sayeed Pridgett (SR)
G- Kendal Manuel (SR)
PG- Timmy Falls (JR)

Bench:
6th: F- Tony Miller (JR)
7th: F- Selcuck (SO. and can't play until Jan.)
8th: G- Josh Vasquez (FR.)
9th: G- Eddy Egun (R-FS)
10th: C- Kelby Krammer (R-So)
11th: G- Freddy Brown III (So.)
12th: G/F- DJ Carter-Hollinger (FR.)
13th: G/F- Kyle Owens (FR.)
14th: C/F Ben Carter (So.)
15th: F- Peter Jones (RS-So)

I am kind of presuming Timmy Falls steps up to be our PG but that Vasquez kid is really talented so he could push for the spot as well. I could also see Tony Miller starting instead of Mack Anderson with them doing that small ball lineup they did down the stretch but I liked this lineup better for when they need some size. I am not really sure about the true freshman coming in and how that impacts things. TDC has stated this is one of his better classes so it would not surprise me if they are in the mix. I think our big questions are finding a point man to replace Rorie and if any of our bigs develop more.

I'll add THIS to the conversation... We're talking All-Los Angeles area 1st team.

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/03/27/daily-news-2019-all-area-boys-basketball-selections-awards/

... and among the top 50 ranked California H.S. basketball recruits (upgraded to 3 star) for 2019.
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=ca

... and All-CIF Southern team:
[media]https://twitter.com/LACourtReport/status/1108002174800261121[/media]

Derrick Carter-Hollinger (3 Star) is #25 on the top California players list. I expect him to play major minutes next year! He is incredibly athletic and skilled!

GrizWhiz said:
Derrick Carter-Hollinger (3 Star) is #25 on the top California players list. I expect him to play major minutes next year! He is incredibly athletic and skilled!
He will also only be 17 years old as a freshman :shock:
I bet he redshirts.

My starting 5
PG: Josh Vasquez
SG: Timmy Falls
SF: Sayeed Pridgett
PF: Donavan Dorsey
C: Mack Anderson

6- Kendal Manuel

Daydays starting 5 is the most likely but I could see Vasquez starting early. Would be nice to have Kendal’s shooting off the bech too.

go96griz said:
Tony Miller is very talented and I can’t imagine he won’t start.

Taller version of Pridgett. I'll be surprised, if he doesn't start. Competition will be fierce for playing time. I see, no less than a 9 man rotation for many games. I'm just not sure if DeCuire could comfortably stick with that deep of a rotation. Every season, we see him trim to 7, sometimes 8, come the conference tournament. To me, the quality of talent, very well could give him reason to go that deep. IF so, look out BSC.

I'll throw in my starting 5 for 2019-20:

PG: Timmy Falls
G: Sayeed Pritchett
G/F: Kendal Manuel
F: Donaven Dorsey
C: Mack Anderson

6th man: Tony Miller or Kelby Kramer

Another potential factor in this discussion is who might be leaving. The Griz appear to be recruiting for next season. I believe the departure of a current Griz would be necessary to open up a scholarship.

GrizWhiz said:
Another potential factor in this discussion is who might be leaving. The Griz appear to be recruiting for next season. I believe the departure of a current Griz would be necessary to open up a scholarship.

Yep that does happen just about every year. However, until we actually know I will just assume everyone stays for now when doing this early look.

dayday said:
GrizWhiz said:

Yep that does happen just about every year. However, until we actually know I will just assume everyone stays for now when doing this early look.
I'm guessing, Kramer or Carter are likely candidates to go elsewhere. It may come down to, who does the most through mid June, to stay. If it were me, I'd go with Kramer. Then again, many grad transfers happen around May to June.

I'm relieved, DeCuire had the all so difficult man to man talk with Falls. I like Falls as a player and person. Before that talk, we were wondering about him being back. Since that talk, he played better and consistently. I honestly feel, Falls is capable of 6+ assists per game and 12+ points per game. He also needs to cut down the turnovers, if he wants to be the #1 point guard. Travis likes his pg to value every possession. Got to admit, Rorie did that well.

There is a huge log jam Fr big. Something has got to give for depth and to balance out scholarships. If Yagi is getting a scholarship (all signs point to this) then I agree Carter and/or Kramer will move on. Also, our team being even deeper this year makes me think we might be a prime candidate for another sit one play one/two. Especially someone in Timmy's class.

Before we decide the roster for next year, I think we need to take a step back and ask:

Who are we? And what do we want to be?

If "Big Sky Power," congratulations! We're there! Just ask Weber, Norther Arizona or Idaho. Let's all go down to Stocks and toast ourselves with mulitiple rounds. And let's offer a toast, too, to Robin Selvig, for all the years the Lady Griz were a "Big Sky Power."

Of course, it's also true of Robin that every year we advanced to the Big Dance, we got killed by bigger, faster teams. True too that for all his accomplishments, his retirement notice drew scant mention on the national scene.

Which is why I think we should be shooting higher. To not only be a "Big Sky Power," but to win a game or two at the dance. And maybe possibly hopefully put ourselves on a Gonzaga-like trajectory.

Which brings me back to the roster.

If your aspiration is to win another Big Sky title, fine. Go with the small lineup. The short rotation. Hell, it's worked the past two years. Why not again?

But if your goal is the Sweet 16, that just ain't gonna cut it. I mean, have you been watching these games? These kids are long, lean, athletic. They play above the rim. And they can shoot!

If we're gonna compete at THAT level, these are my suggestions.

--A 9 or 10-deep rotation. Why not? We have the best talent, top to bottom, in the Big Sky. Why not exploit that talent? Why not build in an insurance policy against late-season fatigue or injury?

--Three bigs in that rotation. Sure, I'm the biggest proponent on this board of the three-point era. But watching these tourney games has given me a fresh perspective on the kind of height and athleticism we simply do not see in the Big Sky conference. And must have if we're to compete at the Power-5 level.

--Shooters!! Are you kidding me? We must have three kids at least who can put the ball in the damn hole. So many of these games have been tight. And so many come down to the kid who hits the dagger three, as Texas Tech has, or as Purdue had in duplicate.

So those would be my criteria as I evaluate our roster for next year, but with too many ifs to speculate on a roster. Can Brown play the point? Will any of the fabulous new recruits be ready for the rotation? Will Kramer be back? Or Carter? Is the new big via Towson ready to contribute? Are Tony Miller and DJ Hollinger-Carter as good as I think they are?

So to me it's a question of evaluating our talent against the criteria I've mentioned. Anything less dooms us to "Big Sky Power."

Again.

I will be surprised if Kendal Manuel is a starter next season. He's a great shooter (when he's squared up), and a good rebounder, but I thought his ball handling deficiencies were exposed in the late season and in the NCAA tournament. We will see how Egun, Miller, and Vazquez come along, but I will be amazed if one of them doesn't earn a starting job.

citay said:
Before we decide the roster for next year, I think we need to take a step back and ask:

If "Big Sky Power," congratulations! We're there! Just ask Weber, Norther Arizona or Idaho. Let's all go down to Stocks and toast ourselves with mulitiple rounds. And let's offer a toast, too, to Robin Selvig, for all the years the Lady Griz were a "Big Sky Power."

Of course, it's also true of Robin that every year we advanced to the Big Dance, we got killed by bigger, faster teams. True too that for all his accomplishments, his retirement notice drew scant mention on the national scene.

Which is why I think we should be shooting higher. To not only be a "Big Sky Power," but to win a game or two at the dance. And maybe possibly hopefully put ourselves on a Gonzaga-like trajectory.

If your aspiration is to win another Big Sky title, fine. Go with the small lineup. The short rotation. Hell, it's worked the past two years. Why not again?

But if your goal is the Sweet 16, that just ain't gonna cut it. I mean, have you been watching these games? These kids are long, lean, athletic. They play above the rim. And they can shoot!

--A 9 or 10-deep rotation. Why not? We have the best talent, top to bottom, in the Big Sky. Why not exploit that talent? Why not build in an insurance policy against late-season fatigue or injury?

--Three bigs in that rotation. Sure, I'm the biggest proponent on this board of the three-point era. But watching these tourney games has given me a fresh perspective on the kind of height and athleticism we simply do not see in the Big Sky conference. And must have if we're to compete at the Power-5 level.

--Shooters!! Are you kidding me? We must have three kids at least who can put the ball in the damn hole. So many of these games have been tight. And so many come down to the kid who hits the dagger three, as Texas Tech has, or as Purdue had in duplicate.

So those would be my criteria as I evaluate our roster for next year, but with too many ifs to speculate on a roster. Can Brown play the point? Will any of the fabulous new recruits be ready for the rotation? Will Kramer be back? Or Carter? Is the new big via Towson ready to contribute? Are Tony Miller and DJ Hollinger-Carter as good as I think they are?

So to me it's a question of evaluating our talent against the criteria I've mentioned. Anything less dooms us to "Big Sky Power."

Again.

You don't think that DeCuire is trying to win NCAA games? You know that's what he's recruiting for. That's why we constantly see him aiming for big time recruits. (I'm sure you do know this, so it begs why we even need to discuss it.)

PeauxRouge said:
citay said:

Again.

You don't think that DeCuire is trying to win NCAA games? You know that's what he's recruiting for. That's why we constantly see him aiming for big time recruits. (I'm sure you do know this, so it begs why we even need to discuss it.)

Thank you. What a stupid post by citay. All we need are long athletic wing players, three good big guys, be able to go 10 deep on our bench (why not?), and have 3 (at least!) Carson Edwards type shooters. I wonder why Travis hasn’t thought about this? Too busy just being a Big Sky Power I guess.

Back