• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Play in Game

putter

DONOR
After watching tonight’s Michigan game I am wondering about the play-in-game. Would it be that bad to be a 16 and play in Dayton? You get to play a team that is more on your level and if you win you have a game under your belt before taking on a team like Michigan.

putter said:
After watching tonight’s Michigan game I am wondering about the play-in-game. Would it be that bad to be a 16 and play in Dayton? You get to play a team that is more on your level and if you win you have a game under your belt before taking on a team like Michigan.

Starting to agree putter. That’s the exact position NDSU is in now. Got the jitters out of the way in the playin game, and now can take on their 1 seed with a little less nerves.

I think winning a play in game might be the ceiling. At least you won a game in the "tournament." I watched all the play in games and I think Montana would have a shot.

DPGriz said:
I agree. Also, should we consider going NAIA?

You're joking about NAIA right? Montana Western, Carroll College, MSU Northern, Rocky Mountain, these are the Montana schools currently in the NAIA.

I think the best "play in game"(s) would be the basketball program joining the MWC. Utah State, Fresno State, Nevada, Boise State etc, now there's some play in games throughout the year.

With NDSU’s win they now get 2 NCAA games. Does this not also increase the $$ from the NCAA for the conference? Win/Win if you ask me

putter said:
With NDSU’s win they now get 2 NCAA games. Does this not also increase the $$ from the NCAA for the conference? Win/Win if you ask me

Yes it does - gives an extra tourney credit for the Conference, extra 1.7 million spread over 6 years.

AllWeatherFan said:
Show of hands - who thinks UNDSU will play Duke close because they got a play-in game?

Well, since we'll never know how close they would have played them WITHOUT a playin game it's a moot point.

Point is, they just made another $275k/yr for 6 six years for the conference.

cclarkblues said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Show of hands - who'd rather play a 16/16 play-in game rather than play the 2 seed?

Rather go to the NIT

Reason I don't agree with this is exposure. Being in the first 4 the entire nation is watching these games and your school is front and center. You don't really get that with the NIT

putter said:
cclarkblues said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Show of hands - who'd rather play a 16/16 play-in game rather than play the 2 seed?

Rather go to the NIT

Reason I don't agree with this is exposure. Being in the first 4 the entire nation is watching these games and your school is front and center. You don't really get that with the NIT

No, but you get to play. However I somewhat agree with you on the exposure level but (always a but) how much shit do you get for signing a letter to a school that just got beat badly.

driftwood said:
What does the NCAA pay out for a play-in win?

I believe the play-in games still receive the same payout. If you win you get 2 games worth of payments for the conference.

Just by making this year's tournament, a school earns its conference a projected $1.67 million over the next six years, broken into annual payments from the NCAA that will start with $260,500 in 2016.

Screen_Shot_2018_03_16_at_6.26.08_PM.png

Back