• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Final Thoughts?

citygriz

Travis sure is impressive in his interviews, whether with the media or Jim Rome. His stock rises every time he speaks...The year after we beat Nevada and came within a half of the Sweet 16, we started to get some national press, which carried over to the next year when our first game was against...West Virginia. That's right, where John Beilein then coached. They absolutely suffocated us, end of national press...Beilein said yesterday that he was worried about the two new Griz, Manuel and Dorsey. But in my opinion there are two other Griz he hasn't seen, Mack Anderson and Sayeed Pridgett. I know Pridgett was there last year, but not THIS Sayeed Pridgett. When I watched the Creighton game with my friend from North Carolina, he immediately pointed out Pridgett. "We'll take him!"...Speaking of Creighton, remember how they bombed us with threes? I'd never seen anything like it. That's what it will take for us against Michigan...A notable sports radio host here is picking Tennessee and Michigan in the championship game. No Duke? "Nah. They're the worst three-point shooting team in the tournament." It's definitely the era of the three-ball...Another thing Travis said in the media interview: He was shocked during the Michigan game last year at how ineffective our bigs, Akoh and Krslovic, were against Michigan. Said we liked to play inside-out but that Michigan completely took that away from us. It's clear the game-plan for this year will be w-a-y different from last year...Michigan professes not to be overlooking us. But still, not one of their three players at media day knew anything about Montana, and Beilein himself had to look at his notes several times to remember the names of Montana players. You can't tell me they aren't overlooking us, at least to some degree...

amen brother.
citay said:
.Beilein said yesterday that he was worried about the two new Griz, Manuel and Dorsey. But in my opinion there are two other Griz he hasn't seen, Mack Anderson and Sayeed Pridgett. I know Pridgett was there last year, but not THIS Sayeed Pridgett. When I watched the Creighton game with my friend from North Carolina, he immediately pointed out Pridgett. "We'll take him!"...Speaking of Creighton, remember how they bombed us with threes? I'd never seen anything like it. That's what it will take for us against Michigan... ...

Go Griz !

Hoping for 3 things in this game that I think are imperative for us to be successful.

1) Pridgett gets his first few buckets in the paint, probably using those jump hooks he's perfected that nobody can block.

2) Rorie hits his first three pointer that he takes. Manuel and Dorsey will make theirs when the opportunities arise but if we establish a 3rd or even 4th threat that demonstrates that they are able to knock it down in crunch time, I think that will be key to opening things up.

3) Timmy has a big moment early which keeps him focused and engaged in the game in a positive way. We need all hands on deck and as the last quarter of the season showed, when Timmy is flying around the court and having fun, we seem to do well.

Go Griz!!!

I want the guys to play as a team. Not try too hard. Play the way you know and don't do something you're not used to doing. Above all , Be confident and have fun!

citay said:
Michigan professes not to be overlooking us. But still, not one of their three players at media day knew anything about Montana, and Beilein himself had to look at his notes several times to remember the names of Montana players. You can't tell me they aren't overlooking us, at least to some degree...

Well if the team isn't overlooking Montana, their fans sure are. I guess that's to be expected to some extent, but in this particular tournament that mentality has proven disastrous time and time again...

https://forum.umhoops.com/t/ncaa-2019-michigan-vs-montana-preview/4954

Good summary, citay. I agree. I would also add that the Griz starters have been there, which is a big positive. It just seems that experienced and veteran teams, in college and pros, who have played previously in the tourney (or in the NBA finals), are more prepared and more confident, and do better. The others have also been there with their prior teams, I believe.

The UM starters know the returning Michigan players and how Michigan plays and is coached. So does Travis. They all know the mistakes they made last year, what went wrong last year, what they need to do better, and what needs to happen to make this a game for two halves.

Moorehead is an even better defender this year. Rorie has become a better defender too. Oguine and Falls can defend. Falls is now playing without needing to try the too difficult pass. Anderson has improved during the season, and never seemed to be intimidated when I saw him this year. As citay pointed out, Pridgett has become a tremendous player.

The Griz need to defend from the get-go, and play their game. Hopefully, they will be knocking down the 3's. Even is Michigan defends the 3 well, Dorsey and Manuel are capable of shooing over defenders and shooting from NBA range. Rorie has one of the nicest mid-range jumpers I've ever seen in person. Oguine is capable of going off offensively.

I can't imagine that the new Michigan players are taking the Griz seriously enough, or aren't looking behind. Michigan is apparently prone to inconsistency.

teejay406 said:
Hoping for 3 things in this game that I think are imperative for us to be successful.

1) Pridgett gets his first few buckets in the paint, probably using those jump hooks he's perfected that nobody can block.

2) Rorie hits his first three pointer that he takes. Manuel and Dorsey will make theirs when the opportunities arise but if we establish a 3rd or even 4th threat that demonstrates that they are able to knock it down in crunch time, I think that will be key to opening things up.

3) Timmy has a big moment early which keeps him focused and engaged in the game in a positive way. We need all hands on deck and as the last quarter of the season showed, when Timmy is flying around the court and having fun, we seem to do well.

Go Griz!!!

Agree on all these points. Gotta get Rorie going early. Also, it would be huge if BSB knocks a couple down early. Need him confident. Score early; weather any storm. Those are the keys.

My key to the game is if you get up 10-0 early, don't go through the Griz lull in scoring. Keep getting some buckets, even during Michigan runs.

EverettGriz said:
teejay406 said:

Go Griz!!!

Agree on all these points. Gotta get Rorie going early. Also, it would be huge if BSB knocks a couple down early. Need him confident. Score early; weather any storm. Those are the keys.

Excellent pre-game goals. I would add: If Bobby could just (no hesitation) stroke his first or second open look...

GO GRIZ!

I really think Bobby's shooting is going to be key. He took 7 three-point attempts per game during the BSC tourney and they were pretty much all open, it seems obvious that the scouting report from our opponents was to leave him open and it also seems clear that he had the green light from TDC to take those shots. I'd imagine that Bobby will see a lot of open looks in this game as well so the opportunity will be there to make an impact.

Didn't catch this yesterday, since Rome is no longer on terrestrial radio in the Missoula area, but found this after Citay mentioned it. Pretty cool to be getting those props from Rome. Thought he still had his place here too...

https://www.jimrome.com/articles/travis-decuire

Says "article" in the link, but it's audio.

PlayerRep said:
Good summary, citay. I agree. I would also add that the Griz starters have been there, which is a big positive. It just seems that experienced and veteran teams, in college and pros, who have played previously in the tourney (or in the NBA finals), are more prepared and more confident, and do better. The others have also been there with their prior teams, I believe.

The UM starters know the returning Michigan players and how Michigan plays and is coached. So does Travis. They all know the mistakes they made last year, what went wrong last year, what they need to do better, and what needs to happen to make this a game for two halves.

Moorehead is an even better defender this year. Rorie has become a better defender too. Oguine and Falls can defend. Falls is now playing without needing to try the too difficult pass. Anderson has improved during the season, and never seemed to be intimidated when I saw him this year. As citay pointed out, Pridgett has become a tremendous player.

The Griz need to defend from the get-go, and play their game. Hopefully, they will be knocking down the 3's. Even is Michigan defends the 3 well, Dorsey and Manuel are capable of shooing over defenders and shooting from NBA range. Rorie has one of the nicest mid-range jumpers I've ever seen in person. Oguine is capable of going off offensively.

I can't imagine that the new Michigan players are taking the Griz seriously enough, or aren't looking behind. Michigan is apparently prone to inconsistency.

Agreed 100% PR. ha. :cool: :cool:

My PAKE has always been good. In fact, I regularly kick Kenpom's ass.

However, I'm trying to up my SIBMIHHAT game. In my SIBMIHHAT view, Timmy Falls rates higher than a "Meh."

Thoughts?

One other worry: Some of our key kids get in foul trouble early, trying aggressively to guard their bigger players. Sitting Bobby or Sayeed would be catastrophic.

What? Me worry?

Agree with everything that has been said. But a big key for the Griz will be hitting their free throws! If this game is at all close in the last 7 minutes I would not be surprised to see Michigan foul and foul alot. One of the things that will be evident in the scouting report is that the Griz have not been good as a team from the stripe!

Back