• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dollars from NCAA Tourney?

HookedonGriz

DONOR
So when football teams make Bowl games and even FCS teams make playoffs, there is some dollar sharing that gets contributed to both the school and the league. With the Griz making the big dance, are there $$ that UM gets or do tjey have to win a game?

There is money for each game played paid out over 6 years. In 2107 the amount was $1.7 million per game.

grizindabox said:
There is money for each game played paid out over 6 years. In 2107 the amount was $1.7 million per game.

I don't know for sure but seem to remember that some of that goes to the conference, some is spread out to all the schools in the conference equally with a larger percentage of the total dollars going to the University for their participation in the tournament. Certainly not all of the money went to the University.

Again, a little financial trickery here, which really pisses me off.

They say $1.7 million goes to the school or its conference--but then they pay it off over FIVE years. Which means the present value of the $1.7 million is really closer to $1.02 million.

Another way the NCAA sticks it to the colleges.

Ditto the Mike Trout contract. $430 million over 12 years!!! But the present value of that contract is really $170.75 million. In other words, that's how much the Angels have to put aside today, assuming they can invest that money at only 8%, to lock up the best player in baseball for twelve years.

Same with credit card interest. Some of these companies charge 20% or more, especially if you miss a payment. That means you double your debt in something like three years.

The financial trickery in this country is treacherous. They used to call it usury. Now it's perfectly acceptable. It's called, "Squeeze the suckers dry." Or: Just plain capitalism.

citay said:

They say $1.7 million goes to the school or its conference--but then they pay it off over FIVE years. Which means the present value of the $1.7 million is really closer to $1.02 million.

Ditto the Mike Trout contract. $430 million over 12 years!!! But the present value of that contract is really $170.75 million. In other words, that's how much the Angels have to put aside today, assuming they can invest that money at only 8%, to lock up the best player in baseball for twelve years.

Same with credit card interest. Some of these companies charge 20% or more, especially if you miss a payment. That means you double your debt in something like three years.

The financial trickery in this country is treacherous. They used to call it usury. Now it's perfectly acceptable. It's called, "Squeeze the suckers dry." Or: Just plain capitalism.

A little basic present value math. If this country wasn't so full of those who think someone else needs do their thinking for them we'd be in a better spot.

Future value math also comes in handy......but most in the country just spend what the make (or maybe more than they make and incur those usurious credit card interest rates!!) and think one or two years worth of retirement savings will last them 25 years in retirement.

You call it "financial trickery"......others might call it "financial ignorance".

Mousegriz said:
citay said:

A little basic present value math. If this country wasn't so full of those who think someone else needs do their thinking for them we'd be in a better spot.

Future value math also comes in handy......but most in the country just spend what the make (or maybe more than they make and incur those usurious credit card interest rates!!) and think one or two years worth of retirement savings will last them 25 years in retirement.

You call it "financial trickery"......others might call it "financial ignorance".
[/quote

Throw as much as you can at retirement when youre young...and let compound interest due gods work. Ya the money you throw towards it when youre in your 40s & 50s is awesome, and high dollar numbers....but that money that goes in in your 20s & 30s is the golden parachute.

You can borrow money for basically anything you need in life, one thing you cant borrow money for is a lifestyle after retirement.

I know Gonzaga almost left the WCC because it was tired of sharing the money with all of the conference. They made a new deal to keep more of what they make to stay in the WCC

putter said:
I know Gonzaga almost left the WCC because it was tired of sharing the money with all of the conference. They made a new deal to keep more of what they make to stay in the WCC

Each conference gets to decide the split...and the WCC knows that Gonzaga is their cash cow.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
Just something else for Citay to complain about.

I mean he isnt wrong thooooo

Actually, he is dead wrong. As someone else said, financial ignorance.

I think the NCAA generally says they pay the conferences about $275,000, for each game appearance, for 6 years. It's the media that adds it all together. The conferences know exactly what they are getting. There is no trickery.

The baseball players and their agents know exactly how the contracts are structured and what will be paid, and what the incentives are. There is no trickery.

No one can get 8% guaranteed investment right now.

Credit card companies just exactly what they say they will charge, and what is clearly disclosed in the contract and brochures. Jeez, read the disclosure.

Sorry, but everyone doesn't get a financial ribbon. Pay attention. Read. Ask questions.

Some of the prior posts remind me of financial comments, i.e. ignorance, of AOC and Bernie.

PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

I think the NCAA generally says they pay the conferences about $275,000, for each game appearance, for 6 years. It's the media that adds it all together. The conferences know exactly what they are getting. There is no trickery.

The baseball players and their agents know exactly how the contracts are structured and what will be paid, and what the incentives are. There is no trickery.

Credit card companies just exactly what they say they will charge, and what is clearly disclosed in the contract and brochures. Jeez, read the disclosure.

Sorry, but everyone doesn't get a financial ribbon. Pay attention. Read. Ask questions.

Some of the prior posts remind me of financial comments, i.e. ignorance, of AOC and Bernie.

Its Wednesday...the 20th of March.....in 2019...and the people of Egriz still dont give a shit about how smart PlayRep thinks he is...and all is well.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Its Wednesday...the 20th of March.....in 2019...and the people of Egriz still dont give a shit about how smart PlayRep thinks he is...and all is well.

No matter what you think of him, he is right about the NCAA payout. It is not a lump sum broken into equal payments, it is an annual credit for a certain amount to be paid for 6 years.

Back