• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rorie and Oguine: Best Griz Guard Tandem Ever?

AllWeatherFan

DONOR
I don't even think it's debatable. Which guarantees a debate on eGriz. :lol:

We're damn lucky to have these two on a Griz roster - great players and great citizens!

:thumb:

AllWeatherFan said:

We're damn lucky to have these two on a Griz roster - great players and great citizens!

I guarantee, no debate from me!

AllWeatherFan said:

I still like Will Cherry and Kareem Jamar but its close if not dead even. Some may say Kareem was a 3 but he was one of our two primary ball handlers on that team. I consider him a power guard. If Rorie and Oguine can get a win in the big dance then that slams the door shut on this debate in my mind.

Mousegriz said:
Micheal Ray and ______________ were the best two ever at UM!

Jim Molloy, wasn't it? If so, I rest my case. (Jim, if you're out there reading eGriz, I apologize, you were a pretty good Montana ball player.)

Mousegriz said:

This...

Larry Bird is quoted in saying the one player he hated playing against was Sugar.
Magic said "He played just like me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCQ0EXj6AmY

Gotta remember, we're talking tandem here.

Micheal Ray was absolutely the best player ever at Montana, but his senior year he was pretty much a one-man show. If he'd had this year's team or last year's team around him, there's no telling how far we might have gone.

I like the Cherry-Jamar tandem too, but I don't think of Jamar as a guard, more a point forward.

How they played against Michigan lets me easily give them the nod over Jamar and Cherry. Even Wolverine fans were impressed. Not to say Rorie had an amazing FG % or anything, but he looked like he belonged out there.

Oguine/Rorie
Both could start in the PAC

Best player ever? The guy known to have a game style and high level of play much like Magic Johnson to which he agreed. He then commented though, that he was 4 inches shorter, and didn't make millions, but did make Kool aid.... :lol:

Agent G, Could we have a couple more Jordans?...Please?

I really like the Rorie & Oguine guards.

I thought that MRR was the greatest Griz player that I have ever watched.

Honorable mention is the - 1991 - 1992 team with Delvon Anderson, Darren Engellant, Roger Fasting, Keth Crawford, Travis Decuire, Gary Kane, Nate Atchison, Matt Kempfert . . . Fasting was really good.

citay said:

Micheal Ray was absolutely the best player ever at Montana, but his senior year he was pretty much a one-man show. If he'd had this year's team or last year's team around him, there's no telling how far we might have gone.

I like the Cherry-Jamar tandem too, but I don't think of Jamar as a guard, more a point forward.

Michael Ray and Ben DeMers played two years together. Match those 2 against Oguine and Rorie, and they win 7 out of 10 times simply because MR is far and away the better player. DeMers was a good player also

Paytonlives said:
Mousegriz said:

This...

Larry Bird is quoted in saying the one player he hated playing against was Sugar.
Magic said "He played just like me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCQ0EXj6AmY
Not sure who made this video, but it was never Michael Ray “Sugar” Richardson...it was always Michael “Sugar” Ray Richardson...

ordigger said:
Michael Ray and Ben DeMers played two years together. Match those 2 against Oguine and Rorie, and they win 7 out of 10 times simply because MR is far and away the better player. DeMers was a good player also

Agreed.

ordigger said:
Michael Ray and Ben DeMers played two years together. Match those 2 against Oguine and Rorie, and they win 7 out of 10 times simply because MR is far and away the better player.

Not a chance, digger.

citay said:

I agree MR was a 1 man show his Sr year and that seems crazy that they werent able to recruit better around him. They did bring in Lee Johnson but I think he had grade problems. As for Demers, not a superstar but excellent support player which also reminds me of his Sentinel HS Sr year with him, Kirk Rocheleau, Brian Flaig, Mitchell and Steve Demers. All good athletes making up an incredible HS team. Kirk was a fabulous ball handler; if I recall correctly Kirk set the then freshman single game scoring record at MSU before joining the Griz. Brian was a standout receiver for the Cats. Steve washed out early with Griz because IMO, was hanging out too much with MR.

Back