• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Brookings Register take on loss to GRIZ

Thanks for posting this, 62GRIZ. It's a good story and touches on two buckets by Kendal Manuel that essentially held off the last rally attempt by the Jacks. In many ways I thought Manuel was the key to Montana's win. In the first half, he subbed-in when Sayeed Pridgett got into early foul trouble, immediately knocked down two long treys, then played outstanding D for the remainder of the game. In 18 minutes, Manuel scored 11 points on 4-for-7 shooting, 3-5 from treyland. An outstanding breakout game from Kendall, and a sign that he'll be a huge part of Montana's lineup in conference play.

I'm not overlooking great games by Montana's starting lineup, but there's a reason box scores include the stat: bench points. Manuel and Timmy Falls combined for 18 of Montana's points, often at junctures that protected Montana's lead.

grizzlyjournal said:
Thanks for posting this, 62GRIZ. It's a good story and touches on two buckets by Kendal Manuel that essentially held off the last rally attempt by the Jacks. In many ways I thought Manuel was the key to Montana's win. In the first half, he subbed-in when Sayeed Pridgett got into early foul trouble, immediately knocked down two long treys, then played outstanding D for the remainder of the game. In 18 minutes, Manuel scored 11 points on 4-for-7 shooting, 3-5 from treyland. An outstanding breakout game from Kendall, and a sign that he'll be a huge part of Montana's lineup in conference play.

I'm not overlooking great games by Montana's starting lineup, but there's a reason box scores include the stat: bench points. Manuel and Timmy Falls combined for 18 of Montana's points, often at junctures that protected Montana's lead.

Manuel-great game. I wanna see more of him. Falls was 0-4 from 3-point-land and is now 28% from 3-point land this year. Manuel is 45%. If Timmy is wide-open, Yes I want him to shoot. If he makes 1 3-pointer, Yes I want him to shoot another, but when he is cold, he keeps chucking anyway. He shows flashes of brilliance, but he is so erratic and unpredictable and seems to have regressed. I would love to be proven wrong, but I am not impressed with him this year at all. He has 21 assists, 25 turnovers,25 fouls. He's 6th on the team in minutes, but first in TOs

I said just prior to the SDSU tip that Manuel had been something of a disappointment. He proved otherwise just a few hours later. We need more of that from him. He was terrific.

Also, I agree on Falls. He can do so many things to help his team and so many things to hurt it, often both in the span of a few minutes. To begin with, he needs to realize not every play needs to be a “show”. A great pass is pretty weather it’s no-look or not. Make all the good plays and the great ones will come naturally.

Big road win for the Griz . SDSU has the best home winning percentage of any team in the country since 2011 according to the article. Griz gotta keep playing and get better every week. They are playing for March.

Zirg said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Manuel-great game. I wanna see more of him. Falls was 0-4 from 3-point-land and is now 28% from 3-point land this year. Manuel is 45%. If Timmy is wide-open, Yes I want him to shoot. If he makes 1 3-pointer, Yes I want him to shoot another, but when he is cold, he keeps chucking anyway. He shows flashes of brilliance, but he is so erratic and unpredictable and seems to have regressed. I would love to be proven wrong, but I am not impressed with him this year at all. He has 21 assists, 25 turnovers,25 fouls. He's 6th on the team in minutes, but first in TOs

DeCuire has said Falls is the best defender on the perimeter. Defense is more than half of the game, in my view.

Zirg said:
grizzlyjournal said:

He's also been our best on ball defender this season. There are two ends to a basketball court.

casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:
grizzlyjournal said:

He's also been our best on ball defender this season. There are two ends to a basketball court.

Well, he leads the team in fouls/minute and I see him out-of-position and forced to foul to prevent a drive more than anyone on the Griz this year, but maybe I am ignorant about what makes a great "ball defender". To me, his offensive/passing abilities far exceed his defensive abilities, but I'll keep an open mind about that, if you do.

Back