• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cautionary Tale for Our Griz

citygriz

Anybody see the Laker-Blazer game last night?

Lakers: Long, athletic, fast, deep bench. Featuring the greatest player in the game, who had two slam dunks within 19 seconds in the opening quarter. You wondered how the Blazers could ever compete!

Oh....

...three-point shooting.

The Lakers were miserable, missing their first 15 shots from deep. The Blazers weren't a helluva lot better, but still--better. Once Stauskas got hot from three, the game turned dramatically, until Lillard took over late from deep.

The three: A game-changer.

I know we're excited about our Griz. Best roster top to bottom in the history of the program, in my opinion. A Power-Five roster right now. Athleticism and defensive prowess like we seldom see at Montana.

But ya gotta make that three-point shot.

Our season will turn on whether we can.

That's the new basketball.

citay said:

Lakers: Long, athletic, fast, deep bench. Featuring the greatest player in the game, who had two slam dunks within 19 seconds in the opening quarter. You wondered how the Blazers could ever compete!

Oh....

...three-point shooting.

The Lakers were miserable, missing their first 15 shots from deep. The Blazers weren't a helluva lot better, but still--better. Once Stauskas got hot from three, the game turned dramatically, until Lillard took over late from deep.

I know we're excited about our Griz. Best roster top to bottom in the history of the program, in my opinion. A Power-Five roster right now. Athleticism and defensive prowess like we seldom see at Montana.

I thought you would be mentioning "over confidence". There is a lot of that here...

Improvement in defending the three is also needed. I feel that was the teams biggest defensive liability last year.

I recall a Griz-Cat game a thousand or so years ago. The three-point shot had been in the Big Sky only a couple years, and the Griz had literally no one who could shoot a three. The Cats won in a walk, as they had a couple good long distance shooters. It was awful!

Citay I think our coach shares the same thoughts!

[media]https://twitter.com/CoachDeCuire/status/1052735364044066816[/media]

'68griz said:
I recall a Griz-Cat game a thousand or so years ago. The three-point shot had been in the Big Sky only a couple years, and the Griz had literally no one who could shoot a three. The Cats won in a walk, as they had a couple good long distance shooters. It was awful!

68, are you thinking about the year we were Ferched? :)

Ursa Major said:
'68griz said:

68, are you thinking about the year we were Ferched? :)

That's it, I believe. One of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. As I recall, the Griz outshot them, but the Griz were shooting twos and Ferch and company were hitting threes.

mweisner33 said:
Citay I think our coach shares the same thoughts!

[media]https://twitter.com/CoachDeCuire/status/1052735364044066816[/media]

That's funny. I saw that and thought just the opposite.

That he doesn't really believe in the three-ball.

Early on, Mike Montgomery didn't either. Don't know if that changed. But certainly Monty was a big influence on DeCuire.

citay said:

Oh....

...three-point shooting.

You are definitely right about the NBA becoming a 3-pt emphasis league. The 3-pt attempts has sky-rocketed in recent years (and I wish the NBA would push the line back) and I don't dis-agree that college is also skeweing towards 3 pt shot percentage increasing, and I don't see any reason that trend won't continue upwards.

Zirg said:
citay said:

Oh....

...three-point shooting.

You are definitely right about the NBA becoming a 3-pt emphasis league. The 3-pt attempts has sky-rocketed in recent years (and I wish the NBA would push the line back) and I don't dis-agree that college is also skeweing towards 3 pt shot percentage increasing, and I don't see any reason that trend won't continue upwards.

Based on where Steph Curry was hitting from the other night, they could push it to 28' and he'd still have 30 every night. Unreal.

Latest posts

Back