• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Conf Tourney Format

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Top 5 now get byes and no more day of rest:

“Also new, five teams will now earn a bye into the quarterfinals of the Big Sky Championships, which this year will be held in Boise, Idaho. The top five seeds would have to win three games in three days in order to win the title, while a lower seed (No. 6-11) would have to win four in four days. There is no off day like there has been in the past, which should be an advantage to higher seeds.”

Here's the link to the story & conf. schedule...

[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1021789121813995520[/media]

meh... I'm glad that they are getting rid of the rest days. i would like to see a rest day between the semi and the final. I also would like to see only the top 2-3 seeds get a bye. don't reward a team for being 5th. That's literally finishing middle of the pack.

mtgrizfankb said:
meh... I'm glad that they are getting rid of the rest days. i would like to see a rest day between the semi and the final. I also would like to see only the top 2-3 seeds get a bye. don't reward a team for being 5th. That's literally finishing middle of the pack.

So.....are you glad they getting rid of rest days......or not?

The participation ribbon crap needs to end...
Should be 4 or 8 team tourney

8 team tourney
-4 games on Thursday
-2 games on Friday
-Championship on Saturday

IE the bottom 3 or even 7 have proved they don't belong!

Paytonlives said:

8 team tourney
-4 games on Thursday
-2 games on Friday

And yes regular season champ SHOULD HOST!

Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

8 team tourney
-4 games on Thursday
-2 games on Friday

+1

'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

8 team tourney
-4 games on Thursday
-2 games on Friday

+1

+1000

Only the Big Sky would reward 2 cities (Reno and Boise) that bailed from the conference with the tourney. Maybe the next Commissioner will have a better clue to what the league wants. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Andrea!

Zirg said:
Only the Big Sky would reward 2 cities (Reno and Boise) that bailed from the conference with the tourney. Maybe the next Commissioner will have a better clue to what the league wants. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Andrea!

:lol:

EverettGriz said:
Zirg said:

So what you are saying is that Grand Forks is on the short list?

AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

8 team tourney
-4 games on Thursday
-2 games on Friday

+1

+1000

maybe the new com..ish will listen to reason, naw probably not. Fu*k

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
Zirg said:

So what you are saying is that Grand Forks is on the short list?

haha, I wouldn't rule it out. :)

Mousegriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

So.....are you glad they getting rid of rest days......or not?

yes I am glad they got rid of them as they way they had them was stupid. I would like to see one in between the semi and the final however.

Interesting twist to the tournament format, officially announced today: because they are not re-seeding after the first round, theoretically the top seeded team could wind up playing the No. 8 seed in the first-round, while the No. 3 seed could face the No. 11 team.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2018/7/30/mens-basketball-big-sky-reveals-2019-basketball-championship-schedule-and-bracket.aspx

AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

8 team tourney
-4 games on Thursday
-2 games on Friday

+1

+1000

Honest question here...How many conferences have the winning team host the tourney? None of Conferences in the west do, and most of the ones in the East don't either.

Second: The reason they did away with the Tourney being in the winning teams gym is in case a team like Portland state of Sac State won it...They have gyms the size of high School gyms (or did when they started this neutral site thing)

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:

+1

+1000

Honest question here...How many conferences have the winning team host the tourney? None of Conferences in the west do, and most of the ones in the East don't either.

Second: The reason they did away with the Tourney being in the winning teams gym is in case a team like Portland state of Sac State won it...They have gyms the size of high School gyms (or did when they started this neutral site thing)
And still do, it's just that PSU now has a "remodeled" high school gym (3,000 seats). Hey, the Big Sky coaches, ADs and presidents wanted everybody to participate in the tournament. And so they are. Until they change the format again....

Bengal visitor said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

+1000

And still do, it's just that PSU now has a "remodeled" high school gym (3,000 seats). Hey, the Big Sky coaches, ADs and presidents wanted everybody to participate in the tournament. And so they are. Until they change the format again....

I am fine with every team getting into the tourney.

Bengal visitor said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

+1000

According to wikipedia there was only ~1,400 at conference championship in Reno this year so filling 3,000 at a campus site would be a massive improvement.

Back