• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Geno Crandall to the Zags

'68griz said:

A 2× all big sky conference bb player from. U.n.d., big part of a team who went to the NCAA tournament 2 years ago. I believe u.n.d. played and lost to Gonzaga in overtime This last year. So that's how mark few probably is aware of him. Good for him, going to a very good, loaded team that many pr
edict a top ten team .maybe even final four team .

braves84 said:
'68griz said:

A 2× all big sky conference bb player from. U.n.d., big part of a team who went to the NCAA tournament 2 years ago. I believe u.n.d. played and lost to Gonzaga in overtime This last year. So that's how mark few probably is aware of him. Good for him, going to a very good, loaded team that many pr

Thanks.

Crandell was a lot better 2 years ago, at least in the games I saw. He couldn't do it on his own last year with everyone focusing their defense on him. He's a cry-baby when things don't go his way, which I am sure is why is is transferring. "I only wanna play on a winner". He'll be a good contributor on a great team, when the focus is off him, but he doesn't impress me overall. He is a good player on good teams, but not a leader at all.

Coincidentally, Crandell went to the same HS (Mpls De La Salle) as former Griz Cameron Rundles, who also transferred out of the Big Sky (from Montana to Furman) and went to the NCAA tourney with both teams (like Crandell presumably will). Unbelievably, Crandell had only 2 D1 offers out of high school, despite winning 3 state titles.
fyi,Crandell scored 28 vs Gonzaga last Dec in an OT loss.

Zirg said:
Crandell was a lot better 2 years ago, at least in the games I saw. He couldn't do it on his own last year with everyone focusing their defense on him. He's a cry-baby when things don't go his way, which I am sure is why is is transferring. "I only wanna play on a winner". He'll be a good contributor on a great team, when the focus is off him, but he doesn't impress me overall. He is a good player on good teams, but not a leader at all.
Almost none of that was accurate. Well done

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Zirg said:
Coincidentally, Crandell went to the same HS (Mpls De La Salle) as former Griz Cameron Rundles, who also transferred out of the Big Sky (from Montana to Furman) and went to the NCAA tourney with both teams (like Crandell presumably will). Unbelievably, Crandell had only 2 D1 offers out of high school, despite winning 3 state titles.

Cam transferred to Wofford.

'68griz said:
braves84 said:
'68griz said:

Thanks.
No problem.

casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:

agree with you, he's pretty much the very opposite of what the other guy posted. I would guess he won't start, but will get his share of valuable minuets.

Former UND star Crandall grad transferring to Gonzaga
https://skylinesportsmt.com/former-und-star-crandall-grad-transferring-to-gonzaga/

Agreed, depending on the lineup they roll out he'll likely be 1st or 2nd guy off the bench. He'll help them a lot, they needed another lead guard.
braves84 said:
casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:

agree with you, he's pretty much the very opposite of what the other guy posted. I would guess he won't start, but will get his share of valuable minuets.

PeauxRouge said:
Zirg said:

Cam transferred to Wofford.

oh crap. Obviously you are correct. Got those 2 confused. I remember watching the Wofford NCAA game.

braves84 said:
casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:

Why is a NDSU fan giving a UND player props anyways? That's a first. You aren't even in the same conference and why you are trolling this topic (or this forum at all) eludes me. Crandell was on winning teams the previous 5 seasons, including 3 state hs titles and an NCAA app. He had his first losing season (12-20) when everyone was heavily counting on him, and now he abandons ship for greener pastures after failing? That's not a leader to me. He was 0-3 vs Montana last year including a 30-pt loss in Msla when UND was still revered and considered " a team to beat". Crandell scored 9 (in the 30 pt loss),13 and 17 in the 3 games and 9 turnovers and was a huge flop when everyone was counting on him. Oguine, in particular shut his ass down. Maybe you only watched his "good" games, but his team was not good last year, the first time he was ever the #1 option on his team. Again, I think he will be affective as a piece to a good team, but he can not lead a team on his own. That was proven last year.

Zirg said:
braves84 said:
casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:

Why is a NDSU fan giving a UND player props anyways? That's a first. You aren't even in the same conference and why you are trolling this topic (or this forum at all) eludes me. Crandell was on winning teams the previous 5 seasons, including 3 state hs titles and an NCAA app. He had his first losing season (12-20) when everyone was heavily counting on him, and now he abandons ship for greener pastures after failing? That's not a leader to me. He was 0-3 vs Montana last year including a 30-pt loss in Msla when UND was still revered and considered " a team to beat". Crandell scored 9 (in the 30 pt loss),13 and 17 in the 3 games and 9 turnovers and was a huge flop when everyone was counting on him. Oguine, in particular shut his ass down. Maybe you only watched his "good" games, but his team was not good last year, the first time he was ever the #1 option on his team. Again, I think he will be affective as a piece to a good team, but he can not lead a team on his own. That was proven last year.
That was an impressive piece of cherry picking. He was 0-3 against us because he played on a vastly inferior team. He struggled finding rhythm earlier in the season because he was asked to play a completely different role on this year's team. More of a true pg facilitator, which is not what he is. He's a scorer than can facilitate when needed. He has 1 year of college basketball remaining for the rest of his life and you call him a sellout because he wants to challenge himself and prove he can play against the big boys night in and night out... In a sane world that might be considered gutsy and competitive.

casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:
braves84 said:
casewinter13 said:

That was an impressive piece of cherry picking. He was 0-3 against us because he played on a vastly inferior team. He struggled finding rhythm earlier in the season because he was asked to play a completely different role on this year's team. More of a true pg facilitator, which is not what he is. He's a scorer than can facilitate when needed. He has 1 year of college basketball remaining for the rest of his life and you call him a sellout because he wants to challenge himself and prove he can play against the big boys night in and night out... In a sane world that might be considered gutsy and competitive.

well I said "in games that I saw" in my first post. You can call it cherry-picking but what else can I go on? I was impressed with him 2 years ago on the UND winning team, but he laid an egg at Montana in a much-hyped game last year and acted like a petulant jerk to boot. I don't like this grad-transfer rule at all (another general studies major that needs to transfer to another college for educational purposes?). You may deem his decision as "gutsy and competitive", but he's also abandoning his homies that were counting on him for personal glory. I'm willing to admit that both perspectives are valid.

I like the rule, because why not? I think graduating earns you that right. Every other student can transfer as they wish. But agreed on that, I get both perspectives on the matter.
Zirg said:
casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:
braves84 said:

well I said "in games that I saw" in my first post. You can call it cherry-picking but what else can I go on? I was impressed with him 2 years ago on the UND winning team, but he laid an egg at Montana in a much-hyped game last year and acted like a petulant jerk to boot. I don't like this grad-transfer rule at all (another general studies major that needs to transfer to another college for educational purposes?). You may deem his decision as "gutsy and competitive", but he's also abandoning his homies that were counting on him for personal glory. I'm willing to admit that both perspectives are valid.

Could this be a sign of things to come for Oguine, if he doesn't get drafted or get good FA offers? Oguine and Rorie are each better overall players than Crandall. I am sure Crandall will be a nice spark off the bench and key contributor.

I saw Crandall play two seasons ago and thought he was a bit of a head case, but I thought last season he demonstrated a lot more maturity. So credit where credit is due. I hope he does well and I think the Zags feel like they got some needed quickness and talent.

mtgrizrule said:
Could this be a sign of things to come for Oguine, if he doesn't get drafted or get good FA offers? Oguine and Rorie are each better overall players than Crandall. I am sure Crandall will be a nice spark off the bench and key contributor.

No entiendo, Rule. Both Oguine and Rorie will have used up their four years, so they would not be able to go the Crandall route. Unless you referred to something else.

I hope both have worked on their shooting. When you watch the NBA Summer League games, you very quickly notice the huge gap in shooting ability between the regular NBA and the rooks. Both Oguine and Rorie have NBA athleticism,but it'll take shooting ability for either of them to make it.

Back