• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Reload v. Rebuild

citygriz

Elite teams reload.

All others are in a constant state of building. Can we be the next Gonzaga? Or, if they have some success, rebuilding.

During last season, I figured we fell into this second category.

Yes, we made it to the Big Dance. But that was with maybe the best backcourt in Montana history in Oguine and Rorie. A stellar big in Akoh. And an ever-improving rebounder and defensive ace in Moorehead, who could also deliver a clutch three.

Four guys who all came together on one team, and had a shot at taking down the team that made it to the championship game.

But--lightening in a bottle. Because these guys will all be seniors next year. Because the players coming up after them surely could not take us to that level. Bevens and Espe in the backcourt, Besovic and Jones up front. No way.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. But that's the fate of a mid-major. Fifteen minutes of fame. A flicker of excellence. Then back to mediocrity. To a rebuild.

Until...this recruiting season. Barring injuries, I see no reason our four seniors can't take us back to the Big Dance, especially if Dorsey can play. But beyond that, I believe these new recruits put us squarely in the "reload" category.

Look at this team year after next: Falls, Egun, Brown, Manuel and Vasquez in the backcourt, with Kramer, Anderson, Carter, Miller, Dorsey and Pridgett manning the frontline. We don't yet know who will emerge as the stars of that group, but we can say this: That's some talent.

If that's not re-loading, I don't know what is.

Oh, and three more scholarships to go.

We're potentially replacing 5 starters next year if Dorsey doesn't get a waiver, even the best programs can rarely "reload" from those kinds of losses. Beyond Falls and Pridgett (both of whom I love) everyone we're counting on in 19-20 is almost totally unproven at the d1 level, we'll have a better idea of what kind of reload/rebuild we're positioned for after we see some of these guys and find out who sicks but no matter what they have a tall task in front of them.

Anything other than a big step back in 19-20 means we either got a coaching miracle (both tactically and in talent evaluation) or we failed miserably in this upcoming season.

DPGriz said:
We're potentially replacing 5 starters next year if Dorsey doesn't get a waiver, even the best programs can rarely "reload" from those kinds of losses. Beyond Falls and Pridgett (both of whom I love) everyone we're counting on in 19-20 is almost totally unproven at the d1 level, we'll have a better idea of what kind of reload/rebuild we're positioned for after we see some of these guys and find out who sicks but no matter what they have a tall task in front of them.

Anything other than a big step back in 19-20 means we either got a coaching miracle (both tactically and in talent evaluation) or we failed miserably in this upcoming season.

wait,huh? What year are we talking about? I'll worry about 2019-20' at a much later time. I'll enjoy the 2018-19 team for now, which we should be prohibitive favorites to repeat. Are you really stressing about the drop-off in 2019-20'? One year at a time, man.

Zirg said:
DPGriz said:

wait,huh? What year are we talking about? I'll worry about 2019-20' at a much later time. I'll enjoy the 2018-19 team for now, which we should be prohibitive favorites to repeat. Are you really stressing about the drop-off in 2019-20'? One year at a time, man.

Well the OP was about 19-20 so I was just responding to that. I'll certainly enjoy this season and I'm not stressed about the season after.

DPGriz said:
Zirg said:
DPGriz said:

Well the OP was about 19-20 so I was just responding to that. I'll certainly enjoy this season and I'm not stressed about the season after.

point taken.

Back