• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz losing 3 players...

Story on this also notes that, due to NCAA rules, she couldn't have played til conference season. So would have had to miss a lot of their games. Kinda weird...

Story also notes the Lady Griz are losing Mekayla Isaak, who exhausted her eligibility, and Alycia Harris, who has been hobbled by nagging injuries and decided to call it quits. So the Lady Griz have a lot of tennis shoes to fill.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/lady-griz-standout-kayleigh-valley-decides-to-forego--/article_9530ccc1-a4c4-56df-aef1-ca3491bb0263.html

It is sad news for the Ladies as it appeared the team was developing a good chemistry. I do wish all these young women all the best in their future endeavors!

Ya, three of the five mentioned were Sr’s so no shock there and the other two were not major contributors. This team will be fine with all guards save Issac and the top two forwards returning, not to mention the outstanding Fr class we have coming in.

Womens B Ball roster

G
RJr McKenzie Johnston 1113m
31/31g 35.9m 12.5p 5.0a 5.5r
1.3s 0.1b 43fg/31tp/79ft
Jr Madi Schoening 820m
31/31g 26.5m 8.7p 1.3a 4.5r
0.7s 0.3b 36fg/32tp/86ft
So Sophia Stiles 498m
3/22g 22.6m 7.5p 1.7a 3.5r
1.3s 0.5b 45fg/29tp/69ft
RJr Taylor Goligoski 757m
22/29g 26.1m 7.4p 0.8a 2.6r
0.6s 0.2b 33fg/29tp/71ft
RSr Sierra Anderson 422m
9/31g 14.1m 3.1p 1.0a 0.5r
1.0a 0.0b 32fg/26tp/57ft
Jr Gabi Harrington 0m
Fr Jordyn Schweyen
Fr Katie Mayhue

F
RSr Jace Henderson 860m
26/29g 29.7m 8.8p 1.7a 7.2r
0.9s 0.8b 47fg/00tp/62ft
Jr Caitlin Lonergan 334m
0/19g 17.6m 10.5p 0.6a 5.5r
0.4s 0.1b 51fg/00tp/65ft
Jr Hailey Nicholson 469m
5/31g 15.1m 5.4p 0.7a 3.8r
0.5s 0.3b 42fg/00tp/75ft
Jr Emma Stockholm 260m
0/30g 8.7m 3.4p 0.4a 2.6r
0.2s 0.3b 32fg/22tp/41ft
RSo Nora Klick 248
0/26g 9.5m 2.1p 0.7a 1.4r
0.1s 0.1b 29fg/25tp/100ft
RFr Abby Anderson 0m
Fr Kylie Frohlich
Fr Carmen Gfeller

Points Per 40 Minuets
Lonergan 23.8
Stockholm 15.8
Nicholson 14.2
Johnston 13.9
Schoening 13.2

Assists Per 40 Minuets
Johnston 5.57
Stiles 2.97
Anderson 2.75
Henderson 2.33
Schoening 1.90

Rebounds Per 40 Minuets
Lonergan 12.5
Stockholm 11.8
Nicholson 10.1
Henderson 9.7
Schoening 6.8

Steals Per 40 Minuets
Stiles 2.25
Johnston 1.47
Nicholson 1.28
Henderson 1.26
Schoening 1.02

Nicholson will be missed. She had some big games for the Lady Griz. Her best was this year's beat-down of the Cats. 10 points and 9 rebounds.

maroonandsilver said:
Nicholson will be missed. She had some big games for the Lady Griz. Her best was this year's beat-down of the Cats. 10 points and 9 rebounds.

Definitely not saying she won’t be missed but her minutes will be reduced with the emergence of Lonergan. She averaged nearly double Nicholson’s points and rebounds despite playing 3/4ths the minutes Nicholson played.

alabamagrizzly said:
maroonandsilver said:

Definitely not saying she won’t be missed but her minutes will be reduced with the emergence of Lonergan. She averaged nearly double Nicholson’s points and rebounds despite playing 3/4ths the minutes Nicholson played.

They don't/didn't play the same position.

maroonandsilver said:
alabamagrizzly said:
maroonandsilver said:

They don't/didn't play the same position. Nicholson at 4. Lonergan is a true 5.

maroonandsilver said:
maroonandsilver said:
alabamagrizzly said:
maroonandsilver said:

They don't/didn't play the same position. Nicholson at 4. Lonergan is a true 5.

Was not aware of that, thank you. I was just basing of minutes played and games started from last year and production that Henderson and Lonergan would be the starting bigs. Nicholson’s experience of the bench will certainly be missed though. We’re left with Stockholm as the only experienced big off the bench with a RSFr and two true Fr.

The injury bug has hit the program hard. Multiple ACL injuries, a myriad of other health issues have crushed the development and progression of the program over the past two years. What gap the women might have been able to close this year was undermined by Stiles knee injury. Without her, it was a roster that seemed unable to compete with UNC and other conference leaders at the end of the year.

Maybe that suggests a massive reset where the program is at, I don't know. Just all hypotheticals, but with the assumed departures of players, one might assume a busy spring singing period.
Here is the current breakdown:
2 Srs (Henderson and Anderson)
5 jrs (Stockholm, Schoening, Johnston, Goligoski, and Lonergan),
3 sophs (Anderson, Stiles (inj), and Harrington)
F: None
4 signees (Schweyen, Gfeller, Frolich, Mayhue)

If there is a scholarship to player equivalency, there would be one additional scholarship provided one was given to Lonergan). If two more scholarships depart from the above list, then I am not sure you can survive being 3 players down through a whole basketball season. Especially when one isn't likely going to be healthy until mid year (Stiles).As such the need to bring in some instant help (JC's, graduate transfers). I don't know if anyone in that incoming class is instant play other than maybe Mayhue. Someone else could attest to that.

Something is afoot, and it is a bit rare for that type of turbulence of any type to hit the womens program. Had been the model of consistency and continuity over the years.

I think I heard Tootel and Nuanez say on ESPN 102.9 radio that Jamie Pickens (Gatorade player of the year from Helena) will wait to join the Lady Griz until one full year after she graduates in 2019. Anyone know the details on that? I replayed the show and I think I heard that right. Shout if I have that wrong.

Grizfan-24 said:
The injury bug has hit the program hard. Multiple ACL injuries, a myriad of other health issues have crushed the development and progression of the program over the past two years. What gap the women might have been able to close this year was undermined by Stiles knee injury. Without her, it was a roster that seemed unable to compete with UNC and other conference leaders at the end of the year.

Maybe that suggests a massive reset where the program is at, I don't know. Just all hypotheticals, but with the assumed departures of players, one might assume a busy spring singing period.

If there is a scholarship to player equivalency, there would be one additional scholarship provided one was given to Lonergan). If two more scholarships depart from the above list, then I am not sure you can survive being 3 players down through a whole basketball season. Especially when one isn't likely going to be healthy until mid year (Stiles).As such the need to bring in some instant help (JC's, graduate transfers). I don't know if anyone in that incoming class is instant play other than maybe Mayhue. Someone else could attest to that.

Something is afoot, and it is a bit rare for that type of turbulence of any type to hit the womens program. Had been the model of consistency and continuity over the years.

I hope they pan out but not convinced on the Schweyens and Frohlich. Three D1 players on one Montana AA team that doesn't win state title in two years?

Grizfan-24 said:

Abby Anderson will be a redshirt freshman.

Back