• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shantay Legans

Sport

Watching Portland play North Carolina in a tournament. Remember Shantay from Eastern Washington? He was our nemesis for several seasons. He then moved on to Portland. Just watching his brand of bb, aggressive, always moving to the basket, MINIMAL DRIBBLING and pass, pass, pass. Everyone is always moving. Makes one wonder if Travis’s brand of basketball has passed him by? Or maybe it’s the personnel he recruits?
The Pilots are within 3 with 2 minutes to play against the number 1 team in the country. They’ve led several times.

Sport said:
Watching Portland play North Carolina in a tournament. Remember Shantay from Eastern Washington? He was our nemesis for several seasons. He then moved on to Portland. Just watching his brand of bb, aggressive, always moving to the basket, MINIMAL DRIBBLING and pass, pass, pass. Everyone is always moving. Makes one wonder if Travis’s brand of basketball has passed him by? Or maybe it’s the personnel he recruits?
The Pilots are within 3 with 2 minutes to play against the number 1 team in the country. They’ve led several times.

Shantay was our nemesis primarily because of the Groves brothers. Yes, he recruited them, but they were both under-the-radar talents that blossomed into big-time players. Every mid-major coach should be so lucky. They won him a nice contract at Portland in a league with other college heavies, St. Mary's and Gonzaga. We'll see how far he can take that program.

DeCuire's offense has been the subject of much criticism on this board over several years, and I'm a chief culprit. We haven't had a pure shooter since I can't remember when. Every game every season you can expect scoring droughts at the worst time that take us completely out of games. (During one game down here against Stanford a few years ago we were tied at 30 right after the start of the second half, only to suffer a murderous scoring drought that put Stanford up by 24.) You seldom see backdoor cuts or baseline cuts or passing out of the post leading to wide-open layups, and almost never a fast break or movement off the ball or....well, Mike Montgomery said it best when he was doing color for the Oregon game last year: "I could not diagram the Montana offense."

I keep expecting things to change. For DeCuire to change things up himself, or hire an offensive coordinator, or watch the Warriors on TV, but then nothing ever changes. Against Northern, we started the second half with 33 points, and by the first official TV timeout at 15:43, we'd scored...one point. That's over three minutes against a Division 2 team without a field goal. And that will happen again and again this year, and it will remain as frustrating as it's been the past several years.

I confess to being a spoiled brat: I've watched almost every game during the Warrior dynasty, which means I've seen two of the best shooters in the history of the game in Curry and Thompson, but also dynamic fast breaks with precision open-court passing thanks to Draymond Green. I can't expect our Griz to live up to that but at the same time I would hope to see an offense that isn't lacerating to watch.

Portland ultimately lost to North Carolina by 7 I think it was. But Portlands brand of basketball is fun to watch with their aggressive style of play. I wish Travis would take a few lesions from Shantay and concentrate on the offensive aspects of the game. I really like Travis but the Grizzlies lack a true point guard. Whitney is a decent ball player he’s no point guard and I feel that will be our down fall this year. I think some pollsters picked the the Griz second or third in the conference I’d be surprised if we finished in the top half of the league. From the games I’ve watched so far the Griz have a long way to go. I hope I’m wrong but they are struggling so far.

Actually, the D1 men's hoops metrics analysis (APBRmetrics) for almost the entire Big Sky Conf. 15-days into the season are.... awful. There's Montana State at 161 (Kenpom) and not a single team within 50 points of the Cats (Montana's second at 214) from there. The Big Sky started the season ranked 23rd and has since slid to 25th. I know, it's early, but I haven't seen it this bad in quite some time. Shantay's Pilots are at 121.

citay said:
Sport said:

Shantay was our nemesis primarily because of the Groves brothers. Yes, he recruited them, but they were both under-the-radar talents that blossomed into big-time players. Every mid-major coach should be so lucky. They won him a nice contract at Portland in a league with other college heavies, St. Mary's and Gonzaga. We'll see how far he can take that program.

DeCuire's offense has been the subject of much criticism on this board over several years, and I'm a chief culprit. We haven't had a pure shooter since I can't remember when. Every game every season you can expect scoring droughts at the worst time that take us completely out of games. (During one game down here against Stanford a few years ago we were tied at 30 right after the start of the second half, only to suffer a murderous scoring drought that put Stanford up by 24.) You seldom see backdoor cuts or baseline cuts or passing out of the post leading to wide-open layups, and almost never a fast break or movement off the ball or....well, Mike Montgomery said it best when he was doing color for the Oregon game last year: "I could not diagram the Montana offense."

I keep expecting things to change. For DeCuire to change things up himself, or hire an offensive coordinator, or watch the Warriors on TV, but then nothing ever changes. Against Northern, we started the second half with 33 points, and by the first official TV timeout at 15:43, we'd scored...one point. That's over three minutes against a Division 2 team without a field goal. And that will happen again and again this year, and it will remain as frustrating as it's been the past several years.

I confess to being a spoiled brat: I've watched almost every game during the Warrior dynasty, which means I've seen two of the best shooters in the history of the game in Curry and Thompson, but also dynamic fast breaks with precision open-court passing thanks to Draymond Green. I can't expect our Griz to live up to that but at the same time I would hope to see an offense that isn't lacerating to watch.
i agree with a lot of what you are saying about warriors .Suns and this year Kings are trying same formula. Mike Brown is with the Kings this year and added Kevin Heurter and some shooters with poitive results. Finding great shooters that can defend and play that style is a challenge. The best results with mid majors (Davidson..St. Mary's) playing that style has been to add a lot of international players.

Lots babble from citay as always.......the guy who predicted Vasquez would become UMs all-time assist leader before his freshman year. Such a talent spotter that guy! Travis should hire him as an offensive consultant.

Mousegriz said:
Lots babble from citay as always.......the guy who predicted Vasquez would become UMs all-time assist leader before his freshman year. Such a talent spotter that guy! Travis should hire him as an offensive consultant.

Didn't travis predict the same thing?

MtTarheel said:
Mousegriz said:

I was going to point that out, Tarheel, but I didn't want to embarrass Mouse yet again. I've come to learn, where there's Mouse, there's Mouse turds.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/travis-decuire-talks-about-josh-vazquez/html_f0aa3083-ac3b-56af-bb73-b19ca502c1ec.html

citay said:
MtTarheel said:

I was going to point that out, Tarheel, but I didn't want to embarrass Mouse yet again. I've come to learn, where there's Mouse, there's Mouse turds.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/travis-decuire-talks-about-josh-vazquez/html_f0aa3083-ac3b-56af-bb73-b19ca502c1ec.html
In your defense, you were spot on 100% about Will Cherry. It sucks to go out on the limb about a player or team. If you're right, not much is said. If you're wrong, just off, or a player takes more time than expected to get there, God forbid. Apparently that's a sin on egriz.

As long as we have DeCuire as coach, we can expect the same boring brand of BB in the future. He can't recruit kids into this system. Why do some of you keep lamenting our lack of 3-point shooters, or just shooters in general? It is because no shooter wants to play in games where the final score is in the 50s.

Face the facts that Weber and MSU have innovative coaches, who can recruit, and who can coach. Change is often a positive thing. I think it's time.

If you have a user name like “fire-selvig” or “sack-the-AD,” it must be hard to find other things to post about. It’s like other readers think you have an agenda or something. So unfair!

citay said:
MtTarheel said:

I was just trying to not diss the coach like citay always does!! A recruiting issue?

I think we won’t know how good of a coach Legans is until 2-3 years after this season. He benefitted greatly from 2 events that likely can’t be repeated.

1. Groves Bros. The Groves were from Spokane and criminally under recruited. No one knew they would turn out the way they. I am sure there was a lot of development at EWU that made them better, but this clearly falls in the “better to be lucky than good” category.

2. He was able to jump start his Portand career by bringing 3 of his EWU players. Last year Tyler Robertson lead UP in scoring, rebounds, assists and steals. This year he leads in points, assists and steals. 2nd in rebounds. UP without Tyler Robertson is a very average team.

AllWeatherFan said:
If you have a user name like “fire-selvig” or “sack-the-AD,” it must be hard to find other things to post about. It’s like other readers think you have an agenda or something. So unfair!

I do have an agenda, and don't try to hide it. I want to change direction in both our football and BB programs. Hauck's had 5 years to RTD, and has failed. Have you even bothered to look at the seniors leaving our football team? Our best players on offense, and on defense are all leaving. What are the prospects for next season? You think just plugging-in another transfer QB is going to be the answer? Meanwhile the Cats return 20 starters in football. DeCuire's program is going nowhere. Some of you who keep supporting this ridiculous display of basketball we are seeing amaze me. Until our fan base wakes-up to the fact that we have become the little brother in this state, complacency and "just wait till next year" hopes and prayers will prevail. We need change.

Dillon said:
FASTBREAK!

I am an advocate of what Jimmy V called the controlled fast break. After the first outlet pass following the rebound, the ball-handler either passes or dribbles to the center of the court as if to initiate the fast break. The other players spread the floor. If the ball-handler determines an open opportunity for a good shot before the defense is set, he continues to push the ball and hits the open player. But if the defense is able to get back, the ball-handler slows down the break and transitioned into the half-court offense. This is a more controlled fast break than a team whose offense relies on getting-off a shot within the first 12-15 seconds.

Our offense under Decuire has little movement, way too much dribbling, and not enough two-man- game and pick-n-roll. My opinion only.

GrizBall said:
I think we won’t know how good of a coach Legans is until 2-3 years after this season. He benefitted greatly from 2 events that likely can’t be repeated.

1. Groves Bros. The Groves were from Spokane and criminally under recruited. No one knew they would turn out the way they. I am sure there was a lot of development at EWU that made them better, but this clearly falls in the “better to be lucky than good” category.

2. He was able to jump start his Portand career by bringing 3 of his EWU players. Last year Tyler Robertson lead UP in scoring, rebounds, assists and steals. This year he leads in points, assists and steals. 2nd in rebounds. UP without Tyler Robertson is a very average team.

After finishing his first year at Portland in 6th (a huge improvement from the Terry Porter days but with a bunch of EWU transfers), UP finished 8th last year and is predicted to finish 6th and 7th this year by the two college basketball magazines I trust the most. And the best UP player by far is Tyler Robertson (the last remaining EWU transfer). Meanwhile, EWU hasn't skipped a beat after essentially their entire roster transferred out when Legans left.

Not saying that UP is an easy place to win, but still think he is overrated as a coach and was the beneficiary of some tremendous luck at EWU.

GrizBall said:
GrizBall said:

After finishing his first year at Portland in 6th (a huge improvement from the Terry Porter days but with a bunch of EWU transfers), UP finished 8th last year and is predicted to finish 6th and 7th this year by the two college basketball magazines I trust the most. And the best UP player by far is Tyler Robertson (the last remaining EWU transfer). Meanwhile, EWU hasn't skipped a beat after essentially their entire roster transferred out when Legans left.

Not saying that UP is an easy place to win, but still think he is overrated as a coach and was the beneficiary of some tremendous luck at EWU.
Changes in latitude almost always require/force changes in attitude. He probably needed a new blueprint for recruiting players to UP. UP has plenty of $ and is considered a better program than EWU.

oldrunner said:
GrizBall said:

Changes in latitude almost always require/force changes in attitude. He probably needed a new blueprint for recruiting players to UP. UP has plenty of $ and is considered a better program than EWU.

He is also being paid way better at UP. Tough place to win for sure. His connections to LA will be key to this rebuild as well as locking up PNW talent from PDX and SEATAC areas

Back