• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana WBB adds Idaho transfer Gina Marxen

OregonStateFan

Great addition as she’ll give the Lady Griz a veteran point guard.

https://twitter.com/gmarx22/status/1528112418051608577?s=21&t=l_bUbx15PzOzDqzwWdqeqg

Wow, what a massive pickup for Holsinger and co. Marxen was arguably the best player in the conference during her three years with the vandys. Idk the story behind why she chose to sit out last year and not play basketball so someone please feel free to enlighten me if you know. Regardless though, with the addition of Marxen, the Lady Griz may very well have the most lethal backcourt in the conference next season with her and Fatkin returning.

Marxen was heavily recruited and had some huge offers from Washington, Oregon State, and NC State who nearly knocked off UCONN in the elite 8 this year. Big time addition for the Lady Griz! Don’t sleep on this team next year.

ACCOLADES
Big Sky Freshman of the Year (2018-19)
All-Big Sky First Team (2019-20)
All-Big Sky Second Team (2020-21)
Player of the Week (2019-21)
Big Sky All-Academic (3x, 2020-21, 2019-20, 2018-19)
Preseason All-Conference (2020-21)

Yeah, I like Tsineke and Keller for their defensive hustle, anticipation/smarts, and ball-handling but both seemed to lack being a consistent scoring threat from the point especially in comparison to Stiles. This definitely addresses that need with Stiles deciding to move on overseas.

Anyone know how many years of eligibility she'll possibly have? She was listed as a Junior for 20-21 on govandals.com but hadn't burned her redshirt at that time and with Covid...maybe 2, hopefully?

citay said:
Did she play high school ball with Keeli Burton-Oliver?

Maybe one year, but probably not. Maxpreps says Gina graduated '17 while Keeli graduated '20 (Eastlake HS).

DoubleNicks said:
Anyone know how many years of eligibility she'll possibly have? She was listed as a Junior for 20-21 on govandals.com but hadn't burned her redshirt at that time and with Covid...maybe 2, hopefully?

Looks like but one year left to play, since Marxen has had three years at Idaho:

https://govandals.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/gina-marxen/5435

...started 31 games in 2018-2019
Started 31 games in 2019-2020
And started 20 games in 2020-2021.

WyomingGrizFan said:
DoubleNicks said:

Looks like but one year left to play, since Marxen has had three years at Idaho:

https://govandals.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/gina-marxen/5435

...started 31 games in 2018-2019
Started 31 games in 2019-2020
And started 20 games in 2020-2021.

Wouldnt “Covid year” give her an extra one. 2 left?

I'm counting 14 on the roster right now, so there probably won't be any more added. Did I miss anyone? The depth is unfathomable :) :

Fatkin, Sammy - SR
Tsineke, Katerina - SR
Huard, Haley - SO
Keller, Kyndall - JR
Gfeller, Carmen - SR
Albrecht, Willa - JR
Kiefer, Lisa - SO
Bartsch, Dani - SO
Burton-Oliver, Keeli - FR?
Marxen, Gina - JR
Stump, Libby - FR
Konig, Mack - FR
Pirog, Alex - FR
Wacker, Draya - FR

GrizBaba said:
I'm counting 14 on the roster right now, so there probably won't be any more added. Did I miss anyone? The depth is unfathomable :) :

Fatkin, Sammy - SR
Tsineke, Katerina - SR
Huard, Haley - SO
Keller, Kyndall - JR
Gfeller, Carmen - SR
Albrecht, Willa - JR
Kiefer, Lisa - SO
Bartsch, Dani - SO
Marxen, Gina - JR
Stump, Libby - FR
Konig, Mack - FR
Pirog, Alex - FR
Wacker, Draya - FR

So far, accurate as far as I know; but I think Willa Albrecht might be listed next year as a R-So and Lisa Kiefer as a R-Fr. If not mistaken.

WyomingGrizFan said:
GrizBaba said:

Fatkin, Sammy - SR
Tsineke, Katerina - SR
Huard, Haley - SO
Keller, Kyndall - JR
Gfeller, Carmen - SR
Albrecht, Willa - JR
Kiefer, Lisa - SO
Bartsch, Dani - SO
Marxen, Gina - JR
Stump, Libby - FR
Konig, Mack - FR
Pirog, Alex - FR
Wacker, Draya - FR

So far, accurate as far as I know; but I think Willa Albrecht might be listed next year as a R-So and Lisa Kiefer as a R-Fr. If not mistaken.

For sure Willa will be a R-So. She did not play last season due to injury. Not sure about Lisa Keifer, she did get to play in at least 2 games.

Kiefer would not qualify for a redshirt as she played games late in the season.

The extra year due to COVID-19 complexifies things, but technically Marxen, like Gfeller, will be a senior who has an additional year of eligibility via the additional year from COVID-19.

Back