• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Moody

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:
Umm yes I do because they address all the obvious areas of need, and I know I’m probably gonna regret saying this when you jump down my throat, but unlike Parker and Beasley I don’t think any of these guys are selfish. Parker and Beasley had some of the worst body language I have ever seen from any Griz Basketball player in a long time. I’ll admit, I was sad to see Owen’s and DCH go, I really liked both of them and I hope they do great at their respective schools. However, as other posters have pointed out, they were both poorly misused and really didn’t have that big of roles last season.

Totally respect your thoughts. I hope I didn’t come off as jumping down your throat as that was not my intention. I enjoy the healthy debate.

People that are super competitive often have body language that can be viewed as bad. I would go to war with Beasley and Parker any day of the week.

If Owens and DCH were misused, why should I have confidence that Thomas and Oke will be used properly?

When people talk about getting better through the portal I don’t think they mean D-2 guys and players that were below average for non power conference teams.

One of my pet peeves is that all fan bases tend to emphasize the negatives of players that enter the portal and are overly confident about newcomers.

But as always time will tell.
I do agree that people often give Newcomers high praise, but I did say that I don’t expect Moody to be a star. I expect him to come off the bench and spur Martin and Whitney when need be, and when the games on the line be our go to shooter we’ve been missing for quite a while. I do not see a scenario where he starts over Martin or Whitney.

As far as your comments on Thomas and Oke, I think they’re both great additions and will be stars but in different ways. I think Thomas will be the focal point of the entire team. I believe he may be the most talented player on the team, and he is very good in so many ways. He’s the total package. He can shoot at a high level, rebound, defend well, and he’s got the right size and frame. He can play all over the floor. I think he may very well be the next Jamar Akoh.

As for Oke, he’s not here to put the ball in the basket. He’s here to do the dirty work. He’s similar to Cam Parker in a sense that like Parker who took great pride in his assist numbers, Oke takes great pride in his rebounding numbers, and that shows. I see your point about taking a chance on D2 kids, but Oke had a ton of offers from a plethora of D1 schools, including a bunch of Big Sky schools. With these rebounding numbers and the fact that he was the defensive player of the year in a good D2 conference, you gotta go get a guy like this. Especially when we are in desperate need of size, rebounders, and defenders.

The coaching staff has addressed every need this team had this off-season. They’ve checked all the boxes and brought in high quality players. Now if we can add Marco Foster to be that PG off the bench, then this team will be complete.

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:
I think we’ve done pretty well in the portal. I really like Thomas and Oke. I’m not sure we need a bunch more stars, at this point we need more depth/bench pieces. How many star players do we really need? It’s bad for the team chemistry IMO. Moody will come off the bench and provide a spark from behind the arc when we need him. Plus he’s got a strong familiarity with the Big Sky and he’s an older, veteran player. I don’t think this is a bad thing at all.

How many star players are currently on the roster?

Do you think the talent Montana has brought in through the portal is better than the talent Montana lost in the portal?
I guess that remains to be seen🤣🤣

I'm not entirely sure where this group ranks, but here is what I know looking backwards:

- The players who left, starters and subs, were merely .500 in conference over the past two years and owned a sub .500 record in February and March. Personally they might be good basketball players but clearly they didn't mesh in a way that led to wins on the floor. That is as much on coaches as it is anything, but the construct led to an astounding level of inconsistency and maddening levels of inability to shoot the basketball or even find shots offensively.

- If you think that construction of the roster as it stood at the end of the year with Beasley, Owens, Carter-Hollinger and Parker were going to be good enough with the existing talent that was coming in, I'd say that the cards pointed to similar results as the prior two seasons.

- clearly there might be some fear of missing out on future growth of Owens, Beasley and DCH, but if you looked what needed to happen this off season to improve the strength of the program, it is hard not look at what the staff did as mission accomplished. Moody can shoot, and is a vastly different type of perimeter player than what is currently in the program. He's in some way what we thought Brown III might be, and a clear upgrade. He's shot well at this two stops, and provides a perimeter threat off the bench (presumably) that will spread the floor.

This team could run out a line up next year that would include Whitney-Martin-Thomas-Bannan-Anderson as a starting 5 that is longer and more athletic than any group we've had in recent memory on the wing and in the post. Thomas can play the 3-5, he's more naturally a 4, but has the athletic ability to defend on the perimeter to play that flex 3/4 role that Travis loves so much. If you watch Oke, and I don't know how he fits in role wise, is a multi-tool defender and rebounder in the post that will provide much needed help for Anderson next year. He can hedge and defend in space a bit, and can defend that high pick and roll that we've had few others outside of Anderson being able to do effectively the past two or three years.

The added advantage of both of their additions, is that this helps Bannan in the worst way. He clearly wore down at the end of the year, and will have now the ability to be tactically deployed on offense to get the type matchups he wasn't getting late in year because he had so little help in the post offensively.

Moody's recruitment in part reflects an understanding that, with Bannan-Thomas-Oke-Anderson manning the post, they see teams wanting to pack the key and the need of a kid who can with some reasonable consistency knock down threes. While it isn't a 'splashy' move, it reflects an understanding of what the program needs to make it more resilient next year.

Grizfan-24 said:
I'm not entirely sure where this group ranks, but here is what I know looking backwards:

- The players who left, starters and subs, were merely .500 in conference over the past two years and owned a sub .500 record in February and March. Personally they might be good basketball players but clearly they didn't mesh in a way that led to wins on the floor. That is as much on coaches as it is anything, but the construct led to an astounding level of inconsistency and maddening levels of inability to shoot the basketball or even find shots offensively.

- If you think that construction of the roster as it stood at the end of the year with Beasley, Owens, Carter-Hollinger and Parker were going to be good enough with the existing talent that was coming in, I'd say that the cards pointed to similar results as the prior two seasons.

- clearly there might be some fear of missing out on future growth of Owens, Beasley and DCH, but if you looked what needed to happen this off season to improve the strength of the program, it is hard not look at what the staff did as mission accomplished. Moody can shoot, and is a vastly different type of perimeter player than what is currently in the program. He's in some way what we thought Brown III might be, and a clear upgrade. He's shot well at this two stops, and provides a perimeter threat off the bench (presumably) that will spread the floor.

This team could run out a line up next year that would include Whitney-Martin-Thomas-Bannan-Anderson as a starting 5 that is longer and more athletic than any group we've had in recent memory on the wing and in the post. Thomas can play the 3-5, he's more naturally a 4, but has the athletic ability to defend on the perimeter to play that flex 3/4 role that Travis loves so much. If you watch Ake, and I don't know how he fits in role wise, is a multi-tool defender and rebounder in the post that will provide much needed help for Anderson next year. He can hedge and defend in space a bit, and can defend that high pick and roll that we've had few others outside of Anderson being able to do effectively the past two or three years.

The added advantage of both of their additions, is that this helps Bannan in the worst way. He clearly wore down at the end of the year, and will have now the ability to be tactically deployed on offense to get the type matchups he wasn't getting late in year because he had so little help in the post offensively.

Moody's recruitment in part reflects an understanding that, with Bannan-Thomas-Ake-Anderson manning the post, they see teams wanting to pack the key and the need of a kid who can with some reasonable consistency knock down threes. While it isn't a 'splashy' move, it reflects an understanding of what the program needs to make it more resilient next year.
Excellent. I agree. Just the ability to defend the post and rebound makes this team better. I like all the players that left but you are right. The chemistry was the last two years was off. I would say the constant foul trouble also played a part of that. Maybe with all this length we could see a little zone? Probably not ...

I like that he is a shooter. It would be nice to get an athletic wing to add to the mix. If they could hit a few 3s it would be even better.

I’m thinking we addressed a major need: Height and bulk. I think we’ll be sorry that Beasley got away.

Beyond the talent I worry about our offense. Even good players can ‘t overcome a slow stagnant offense with such little movement off the ball. My biggest hope for this program remains: An offensive coordinator. This offense has no identity.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I am not sure that they will be a better team, but I think they will be a more balanced team. I still think they need a point guard.

Hope they find one that dribbles down the court looking for Travis’ instructions 🤣🤣

Jackieb125 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I am not sure that they will be a better team, but I think they will be a more balanced team. I still think they need a point guard.

Hope they find one that dribbles down the court looking for Travis’ instructions 🤣🤣

Funny, I was about to post, Our PG is named DeCuire.

HelenaHandBasket said:
It’d be hard to be worse next year then we were this year.

GrizWhiz said:
His numbers in more recent seasons are not real impressive. I am a little mystified by this move. :?

Seems a little pessimistic considering the guy shot 40.2% from behind the arc and not just on a few shots, he made 53 three's. In Big Sky conference games, his numbers were: 7.9 points/gm, and he made 39 of 82 treys 47.5%. I think he could play a role for the Griz with that kind of shooting.

twentythreeOh4 said:
GrizWhiz said:
His numbers in more recent seasons are not real impressive. I am a little mystified by this move. :?

Seems a little pessimistic considering the guy shot 40.2% from behind the arc and not just on a few shots, he made 53 three's. In Big Sky conference games, his numbers were: 7.9 points/gm, and he made 39 of 82 treys 47.5%. I think he could play a role for the Griz with that kind of shooting.

Agreed! That is an outstanding three point percentage! :)

GrizWhiz said:
twentythreeOh4 said:

But can he do it when it’s the last option because the guys under the net aren’t able to get free and he has 2 secs on the shot clock, which seemed to me last year was the last shooting option.

Swallowsfly said:
GrizWhiz said:

But can he do it when it’s the last option because the guys under the net aren’t able to get free and he has 2 secs on the shot clock, which seemed to me last year was the last shooting option.

You need some new material once in a while if you want to be good at trolling.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/26ybwvTX4DTkwst6U" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/the-simpsons-bart-simpson-at-least-you-tried-26ybwvTX4DTkwst6U">via GIPHY</a></p>

I think the roster needed a overhaul. As many have said the size inside was a problem and caused the team to pretty much give up on offensive rebounding. The ability to create inside shots and rebound will make this offense look way better this season. I believe this team will be better than last year.

Mavman said:
I think the roster needed a overhaul. As many have said the size inside was a problem and caused the team to pretty much give up on offensive rebounding. The ability to create inside shots and rebound will make this offense look way better this season. I believe this team will be better than last year.

:clap:

Back