• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAU

EverettGriz said:
1. Great day to be a GRIZZLY!

2. Road wins are tough; road sweeps are gold.

3. Great job LG!

4. GRIZ clearly had tired legs from the travel/schedule/altitude. I’ve never seen so many misses just short off front iron. Excellent job to overcome it.

5. TDC has his team sacrifice offensive boards to play defense. They’re one of the top 30 teams in the nation in efficiency per possession. It makes complete sense then to focus on the D end.

6. Mitch is still great.

7. 736?? What the fuuuuuuuck are we doing in this conference??!

wyomingriz said:
EverettGriz said:
1. Great day to be a GRIZZLY!

2. Road wins are tough; road sweeps are gold.

3. Great job LG!

4. GRIZ clearly had tired legs from the travel/schedule/altitude. I’ve never seen so many misses just short off front iron. Excellent job to overcome it.

5. TDC has his team sacrifice offensive boards to play defense. They’re one of the top 30 teams in the nation in efficiency per possession. It makes complete sense then to focus on the D end.

6. Mitch is still great.

7. 736?? What the fuuuuuuuck are we doing in this conference??!

Well said.

I agree a win is a win and a road sweep is great! I did not see a tired team yesterday i saw status quo, we shot 40% against PSU and 40% against NAU from the field. We are a poor shooting team and good defensive team, that is who we are. Understand, we played two of the worst teams in the country, Kenpom 289 and 323.

I struggle seeing the light at end of tunnel, we shouldn’t have to take our lumps for 3 or 4 years before we contend for NCAA berth. We shouldn’t go years without producing seniors. We may break through the next year or two, but i don’t think that is good enough. We have the best facilities and support in a terrible conference, we should contend every year like we did with Krysko and Tinkle. This is not the same conference of the 80’s and 90’s, not even close.

TDC is a CONTROL FREAK! He discourages offensive board crashing because he fears giving up easy buckets on other end. This in turn, prevents us from getting easy buckets. This deliberate style is not only hard to watch, it thwarts offensive individual progression, hurts recruiting and filling stands. Individually, Banaan is only player to make noticeable jump in last couple years offensively, one could argue some have regressed (Vasquez, Owens and Hollinger).

Maybe i am spoiled fan, but i expect more!

Uh, why are we “waiting to contend” again? Or taking lumps??

Travis has more NCAA appearances than any UM coach in history. He’s the fastest coach not just in school history but in conference history to 50 wins. They’ve played in 4 bsc championships. They won 8:straight tournament games. His bsc winning percentage is number one in conference history.

I’m not sure if you’re spoiled or not, but you certainly don’t seem to have a firm understanding of GRIZ and bsc basketball.

Sincere apologies if his style of winning bores you, however.

Thanks for the sincere apology. How many NCAA appearances does he have? I know Blaine had two, Krysko had two and Tinkle had 3

wyomingriz said:
I agree a win is a win and a road sweep is great! I did not see a tired team yesterday i saw status quo, we shot 40% against PSU and 40% against NAU from the field. We are a poor shooting team and good defensive team, that is who we are. Understand, we played two of the worst teams in the country, Kenpom 289 and 323.

I struggle seeing the light at end of tunnel, we shouldn’t have to take our lumps for 3 or 4 years before we contend for NCAA berth. We shouldn’t go years without producing seniors. We may break through the next year or two, but i don’t think that is good enough. We have the best facilities and support in a terrible conference, we should contend every year like we did with Krysko and Tinkle. This is not the same conference of the 80’s and 90’s, not even close.

TDC is a CONTROL FREAK! He discourages offensive board crashing because he fears giving up easy buckets on other end. This in turn, prevents us from getting easy buckets. This deliberate style is not only hard to watch, it thwarts offensive individual progression, hurts recruiting and filling stands. Individually, Banaan is only player to make noticeable jump in last couple years offensively, one could argue some have regressed (Vasquez, Owens and Hollinger).

Maybe i am spoiled fan, but i expect more!

I agree 100% with the points you made. The Big Sky is one of the worst conferences in the country. So many fans are happy eking out close victories over teams who would have trouble winning a game against Carrol or Tech. There is no way the current Griz team could compete with most of the Griz teams of the past, from what I'm told.

Is it too much to expect an exciting brand of basketball be played by our team, or are we content to talk about another ugly win every game against a nobody?

And I still think our style of basketball hurts our recruiting. Kids want to run and score. In both the last two games, we would get a defensive rebound, throw the outlet pass, have a 3 on 2 advantage, but just pull-up and wait for the other players to get there to run our perimeter passing game. I counted three or more times against NAU where we could have taken an uncontested 3-point shot on early offense, only to pass it up, spend 40 seconds running our offense, only to take a much lower percentage shot as the clock ran down.

For the record on this thread. Coach DeCuire has three regular season Big Sky Championship teams. In total: one regular-season Big Sky championship team that then appeared in post-season NIT first-round play (2015), one CIT first-round qualifying team (2016), and two Big Sky Championship winning and NCAA-qualifying teams (2018-19).

The records speak clearly. In my view, coach DeCuire has already easily qualified as an esteemed member of the Montana Grizzly coaching fraternity that includes Jud Heathcote, Stu Morrill, Blaine Taylor, Larry Krystkowiak and Wayne Tinkle. What he does not have is a team that has won a first-round NCAA tourney game, as Heathcote and Krystkowiak have. I did not include Mike Montgomery in this list because none of his teams advanced to the NCAA tourney, though one (I believe) advanced to the NIT.

grizzlyjournal said:
For the record on this thread. Coach DeCuire has three regular season Big Sky Championship teams. In total: one regular-season Big Sky championship team that then appeared in post-season NIT first-round play (2015), one CIT first-round qualifying team (2016), and two Big Sky Championship winning and NCAA-qualifying teams (2018-19).

The records speak clearly. In my view, coach DeCuire has already easily qualified as an esteemed member of the Montana Grizzly coaching fraternity that includes Jud Heathcote, Stu Morrill, Blaine Taylor, Larry Krystkowiak and Wayne Tinkle. What he does not have is a team that has won a first-round NCAA tourney game, as Heathcote and Krystkowiak have. I did not include Mike Montgomery in this list because none of his teams advanced to the NCAA tourney, though one (I believe) advanced to the NIT.

What you leave out is that the Big Sky Conference is nothing like it was then. Who is the last player from the Sky who played in the NBA? Damian Lillard ten years ago? Are there any current Big Sky players even good enough to play in Europe?

I think trying to compare a coach's record now to coaches 20, 30, or longer ago is futile

LaJollaGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

What you leave out is that the Big Sky Conference is nothing like it was then. Who is the last player from the Sky who played in the NBA? Damian Lillard ten years ago? Are there any current Big Sky players even good enough to play in Europe?

I think trying to compare a coach's record now to coaches 20, 30, or longer ago is futile
You're trolling, but I was curious so here's the list of BSC basketball players currently playing in the NBA, G League, and overseas: [spoil]https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-Sky-Conference/20/in-the-pros[/spoil]

tgreseth said:
LaJollaGriz said:

You're trolling, but I was curious so here's the list of BSC basketball players currently playing in the NBA, G League, and overseas: [spoil]https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-Sky-Conference/20/in-the-pros[/spoil]

Great site. Have never seen that before. Will Cherry:

Leading in points, assists and steals in this site: https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/15/German-BBL/team/678/Fraport-Skyliners/stats

tgreseth said:
LaJollaGriz said:

I just love how Griz fans, when they disagree with a post critical of anything Griz, pull out the old troll card. Aren't you rich! So, Will cherry, who graduated 9 years ago, is your answer? ROFL

Oh, excuse me, there are three others in the G-League, with cumulative scoring averages of 1.3 points per game. They'll be gone next year. Excuse me for being truthful, instead of swilling the Kool-Aid.

The rest of those players play on teams that couldn't beat a Frontier Conference team.

grizzlyjournal said:

I haven't been called on this by any other eGrizzer, but I nonetheless apologize for my oversights. I'm missing some post-seson appearances by Montana teams in my post above. I'll be more specific:
1. -- In 1974-75 Jud Heathcote's Griz played 3 games, beating Utah State 69-63 before losing to UCLA 64-67 and UNLV 67-75
2. -- In 1984-85 and 1985-86 Mike Montgomery's Griz teams made NIT appearances... a 47-78 loss to UCLA in 85 and a 69-76 loss to Texas Christian (here in Missoula) in 86.
3. -- In 1991 Stu Morrill's Griz lost in the NCAA first round to UNLV 65-99.
4. -- Blaine Taylor's Griz made 3 post-seson appearances, in 1992 losing to Florida State 68-78 in the NCAA first-round, in 1995 losing to UTEP in the NIT, and in 1997 losing to Kentucky 54-92 in the NCAA first round.
5. -- Don Holst's Griz in 2002 lost to Oregon 62-81 in the first round of the NCAA.
6. in 2005 Larry Krystkowiak's Griz lost to Washington 77-88 in the first round of the NCAA. Then in 2006 Krystkowiak's Griz returned to the NCAA tourney and beat Nevada 87-79 before losing to Boston College 56-69.
7. In 2010 Wayne Tinkle's Griz lost a first round NCAA tourney game to New Mexico, 57-62. In 2016 Tinkle's Griz lost a first round CBI tourney game (here in Missoula) 75-79 to Duquesne. In 2012 Tinkle's Griz lost a first round NCAA game to Wisconsin 49-73. In 2013 Tinkle's Griz lost to Syracuse 34-81.
8 -- In 2015 Travis DeCuire's Griz lost in to Texas A&M 64-81 in the first round of the NIT. iN 2016, DeCuire's Griz lost to Nevada 75-79 in the first round of the CBI. In 2018 and 2019 DeCuire's Griz lost to Michigan 47-61 and 55-74.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I haven't been called on this by any other eGrizzer, but I nonetheless apologize for my oversights. I'm missing some post-seson appearances by Montana teams in my post above. I'll be more specific:
1. -- In 1974-75 Jud Heathcote's Griz played 3 games, beating Utah State 69-63 before losing to UCLA 64-67 and UNLV 67-75
2. -- In 1984-85 and 1985-86 Mike Montgomery's Griz teams made NIT appearances... a 47-78 loss to UCLA in 85 and a 69-76 loss to Texas Christian (here in Missoula) in 86.
4. -- Blaine Taylor's Griz made 3 post-seson appearances, in 1992 losing to Florida State 68-78 in the NCAA first-round, in 1995 losing to UTEP in the NIT, and in 1997 losing to Kentucky 54-92 in the NCAA first round.
5. -- Don Holst's Griz in 2002 lost to Oregon 62-81 in the first round of the NCAA.
6. in 2005 Larry Krystkowiak's Griz lost to Washington 77-88 in the first round of the NCAA. Then in 2006 Krystkowiak's Griz returned to the NCAA tourney and beat Nevada 87-79 before losing to Boston College 56-69.
7. In 2010 Wayne Tinkle's Griz lost a first round NCAA tourney game to New Mexico, 57-62. In 2016 Tinkle's Griz lost a first round CBI tourney game (here in Missoula) 75-79 to Duquesne. In 2012 Tinkle's Griz lost a first round NCAA game to Wisconsin 49-73. In 2013 Tinkle's Griz lost to Syracuse 34-81.
8 -- In 2015 Travis DeCuire's Griz lost in to Texas A&M 64-81 in the first round of the NIT. iN 2016, DeCuire's Griz lost to Nevada 75-79 in the first round of the CBI. In 2018 and 2019 DeCuire's Griz lost to Michigan 47-61 and 55-74.

In November of 1988 the Grizzlies lost to Stanford 79 to 63 in the pre-season NIT. The coach for Montana was Stu Morrill and the coach for Stanford was Mike Montgomery.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:

WOW! Who called you on this? Nobody cares about CBI and NIT, NIT meant something 30-40 years ago now it doesn’t mean anything. CBI is a joke. An NCAA appearance in my book means making the tournament.

I don't need a bunch of meaningless stats to have an opinion. It is ridiculous to try to compare teams from different eras. Hell, why stop at teams from the 1970s. Might as well go all the way back to the 1910s.

I know from talking to other season ticket holders that there is lots of discontent among the fan base for how boring Griz games are under DeCuire. College basketball is a product, after all, which should make attending a game an exciting event. Watching the team stumble through another ugly win, shooting 40% from the field, and making 17 turnovers is not my idea of watching a good college basketball game. If winning is everything and you don't care about what we witness on the court, then I am sure you will be happy with this team. I just prefer watching exciting basketball.

And I maintain that DeCuire's recruiting has gone down-hill the past couple of seasons, which is evident on the court. As another poster said, we have one of the two best venues, and a conference leading attendance for games. There is absolutely no reason why Montana can not recruit as well, or better, than Weber State or any other conference team. But the Cats are now out-recruiting us??? Why? I maintain much of the problem is the style of basketball being played here.

Again, it is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with it. But stop being like a certain political party who works to cancel any dissenting opinion they don't agree with. Last I heard, it still is a free country.

wyomingriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

WOW! Who called you on this? Nobody cares about CBI and NIT, NIT meant something 30-40 years ago now it doesn’t mean anything. CBI is a joke. An NCAA appearance in my book means making the tournament.

By the way Glenn, when you google (which you are very good at)NCAA APPEARANCE, it says we have 12. Says nothing about CBI or NIT

wyomingriz said:
wyomingriz said:

By the way Glenn, when you google (which you are very good at)NCAA APPEARANCE, it says we have 12. Says nothing about CBI or NIT

I get all my Montana sports statistical information here: https://gogriz.com/documents/2021/8/4/Records_History.pdf

LaJollaGriz said:
tgreseth said:

I just love how Griz fans, when they disagree with a post critical of anything Griz, pull out the old troll card. Aren't you rich! So, Will cherry, who graduated 9 years ago, is your answer? ROFL

Oh, excuse me, there are three others in the G-League, with cumulative scoring averages of 1.3 points per game. They'll be gone next year. Excuse me for being truthful, instead of swilling the Kool-Aid.

The rest of those players play on teams that couldn't beat a Frontier Conference team.

The link showed 91 former Big Sky players currently playing in Europe, the NBA or NBA-related leagues including every top Griz in the past 10 years.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-Sky-Conference/20/in-the-pros

Perhaps you should just admit that you were wrong instead of insulting people who know what they're talking about.

grizzlyjournal said:
wyomingriz said:

I get all my Montana sports statistical information here: https://gogriz.com/documents/2021/8/4/Records_History.pdf

Again, like i told Everette before you wrote a book, Tinkle-3 NCAA Appearances, Taylor-2, Krysko-2 and Decquire 2.
Everette said Decquire had more appearances than any other Griz coach which was false

Back