• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Recruit We Have Ever Landed

Hey, noticed this board was a little dead. I was just wondering who the best recruit we ever landed for mens basketball and how they panned out?

maroonandsilver said:
RockyGriz8844 said:
Hey, noticed this board was a little dead. I was just wondering who the best recruit we ever landed for mens basketball and how they panned out?

Michael Ray

MRR
Larry
Everybody else.

RockyGriz8844 said:

Both. Both also failed to lead a Griz team to an NCAA appearance.

RockyGriz8844 said:

Everyone will say MRR and LK, but were those guys super highly rated coming out of high school? For recent recruits you gotta with Ahmaad Rorie for tranfers. I believe he was a 4 star HS player.

Vaughn Autry was a complete bust but he was ranked a 92 and 4 star recruit by ESPN.

Kareem Jamar not to far behind as a 91 and 3 star. My vote for highest rated recruit in the modern era of recruiting has to go to Jamar.

StumptownGriz said:
RockyGriz8844 said:

Everyone will say MRR and LK, but were those guys super highly rated coming out of high school? For recent recruits you gotta with Ahmaad Rorie for tranfers. I believe he was a 4 star HS player.

Vaughn Autry was a complete bust but he was ranked a 92 and 4 star recruit by ESPN.

Kareem Jamar not to far behind as a 91 and 3 star. My vote for highest rated recruit in the modern era of recruiting has to go to Jamar.
I was just about to come on here and say the same thing.

More of a Hall of Fame from the Heathcote, Brandenburg, Montgomery, Morrill era:

Ken McKenzie
Lee Johnson
Sugar Ray Richardson
Eric Hays
Robin Selvig
Marc Glass
John Stroeder
Allen Nielsen
Craig Henkel
Tony Reed
Scott Zanon
Craig Zanon
Michael John Richardson
Russ Sheriff
Blaine Taylor
Larry Krystkowiak
Derek Pope
Doug Selvig
Roger Fasting
Darren Engellant
Kevin Kearney
Delvon Anderson

CopperGold14 said:
More of a Hall of Fame from the Heathcote, Brandenburg, Montgomery, Morrill era:

Ken McKenzie
Lee Johnson
Sugar Ray Richardson
Eric Hays
Robin Selvig
Marc Glass
John Stroeder
Allen Nielsen
Craig Henkel
Tony Reed
Scott Zanon
Craig Zanon
Michael John Richardson
Russ Sheriff
Blaine Taylor
Larry Krystkowiak
Derek Pope
Doug Selvig
Roger Fasting
Darren Engellant
Kevin Kearney
Delvon Anderson

Not a bad list, missing a few especially a guy named Tinkle

Mousegriz said:
Brian Qvale?

Definitely Qvale, if your going to list guys like Reed, Glass and Taylor then you can't forget Kempfert, Jeremy Lake, Kc Mcgowan to name a few. Would also put Camel in there but hesitate because he did not finish. Many forget Matt Williams who was a beast for a couple years, think he might have been conference MVP?

CopperGold14 said:

Ken McKenzie
Lee Johnson
Sugar Ray Richardson
Eric Hays
Robin Selvig
Marc Glass
John Stroeder
Allen Nielsen
Craig Henkel
Tony Reed
Scott Zanon
Craig Zanon
Michael John Richardson
Russ Sheriff
Blaine Taylor
Larry Krystkowiak
Derek Pope
Doug Selvig
Roger Fasting
Darren Engellant
Kevin Kearney
Delvon Anderson
Brian Qvale
KC McGowan
Matt Williams
JR Camel
Matt Kempfert
Ryan Dick

CopperGold14 said:
CopperGold14 said:
More of a Hall of Fame from the Heathcote, Brandenburg, Montgomery, Morrill, Krystko, Holst era:

Ken McKenzie
Lee Johnson
Sugar Ray Richardson
Eric Hays
Robin Selvig
Marc Glass
John Stroeder
Allen Nielsen
Craig Henkel
Tony Reed
Scott Zanon
Craig Zanon
Michael John Richardson
Russ Sheriff
Blaine Taylor
Larry Krystkowiak
Derek Pope
Doug Selvig
Roger Fasting
Darren Engellant
Kevin Kearney
Delvon Anderson
Brian Qvale
KC McGowan
Matt Williams
JR Camel
Matt Kempfert
Ryan Dick
Mike Chavez

I'd say, for the men, the top recruit coming IN was Ahmaad Rorie. Micheal Ray was our best all-time player but not our top recruit. He came in as a relatively unheralded 6'3" forward out of Denver East and grew into a 6'5" guard with NBA All-Star talent.

But, hey, let's acknowledge that one of the greatest recruits ever for Montana is right now, on the women's side: MacKendra Konig, listed at #100 on the Hoop Gurlz list of top high school players in the country. Jamie Pickens too may have been a top 100 recruit. We haven't come close to that the men's side of the ledger.

Back