• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Joslyn Tinkle joins Lady Griz!

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Awesome hire! This guy is building an incredible staff!

https://gogriz.com/news/2021/6/11/womens-basketball-tinkle-joins-lady-griz-coaching-staff.aspx?fbclid=IwAR29QNKfQlPAdNzXkSoHNhDj-74afb5FMYwDvqFl_3eD1N-83_Wfu_GzvVk

goatcreekgriz said:
Mousegriz said:
Will Player Rep come to his senses?

Doesn’t matter. He’s a fan or a booster, if anything, not an alum. There’s a big difference.

Every college athletic program has boosters who feel that their donations give them the right to have a say in what happens in the athletic department. Coaches have a love/hate relationship with these types...... loving their money, but loathing that they have to listen to their "advice".

hunt-ducks said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Doesn’t matter. He’s a fan or a booster, if anything, not an alum. There’s a big difference.

Every college athletic program has boosters who feel that their donations give them the right to have a say in what happens in the athletic department. Coaches have a love/hate relationship with these types...... loving their money, but loathing that they have to listen to their "advice".

You bet. Dennis Washington did not receive a degree from UM (though I believe his wife Phyllis did), but I am grateful for his generosity to the university and its athletic programs. But regardless of his attitude toward coaches (i.e., Bob Stitt), it should not change the support of alums for the Grizzlies. That is my simple point. I just care a lot more about what alums think.

goatcreekgriz said:
hunt-ducks said:

You bet. Dennis Washington did not receive a degree from UM (though I believe his wife Phyllis did), but I am grateful for his generosity to the university and its athletic programs. But regardless of his attitude toward coaches (i.e., Bob Stitt), it should not change the support of alums for the Grizzlies. That is my simple point. I just care a lot more about what alums think.

Agree 100%. But some boosters attempt to buy influence by donations and by believing that they are big-shot mockers in their community, even though they never attended that school. You just have look at them with pity.

hunt-ducks said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Steve, was this post a good idea?

Do you just want attention?

goatcreekgriz said:
hunt-ducks said:

This ridiculous story, which has been erroneously repeated on this site for years, that Denny was somehow fed up with Stitt and led the charge to bring Hauck back is lacking in any reality whatsoever. Denny doesn't care to that extent, I assure you. As gracious as the Washington family has been to the UM and football program in particular, they are not that invested on a personal level as fans. They come to maybe one game a year MAX and don't watch the games on TV.

The reality is there was a small group of Bobby super groupies in town that saw blood in the water with Stitt and led the charge, including facilitating this rumor. Bobby's sister did work for Phyllis for years, so it's natural that people would believe it. The athletic department was already apprehensive, so the timing was ripe for a change. I'm sure they had some level of influence in getting Bobby hired once the decision to move on from Stitt was made, but they were not at all the catalyst for the coaching change. It's a nice story, but simply not true.

gotgame75 said:
goatcreekgriz said:

This ridiculous story, which has been erroneously repeated on this site for years, that Denny was somehow fed up with Stitt and led the charge to bring Hauck back is lacking in any reality whatsoever. Denny doesn't care to that extent, I assure you. As gracious as the Washington family has been to the UM and football program in particular, they are not that invested on a personal level as fans. They come to maybe one game a year MAX and don't watch the games on TV.

The reality is there was a small group of Bobby super groupies in town that saw blood in the water with Stitt and led the charge, including facilitating this rumor. Bobby's sister did work for Phyllis for years, so it's natural that people would believe it. The athletic department was already apprehensive, so the timing was ripe for a change. I'm sure they had some level of influence in getting Bobby hired once the decision to move on from Stitt was made, but they were not at all the catalyst for the coaching change. It's a nice story, but simply not true.

I don't care how it happened, I'm just glad it happened!

A full coaching staff to start the Summer Workouts! I'm guessing they start pretty soon - anyone know the start date?

gotgame75 said:
goatcreekgriz said:

I think you took my reference to Denny wrong. Your family is obviously much closer to the Washingtons than most. I was just thinking about the story I heard regarding Herschel Walker at the grand opening of the Champions Center telling Denny that he thought the facility was first-rate, and Denny in turn telling Stitt/Haslem there was no excuse to lose to the Bobcats any more (as the Stitt-coached team did shortly thereafter). I only meant that Denny has high expectations, which is accurate, and the Herschel Walker story always rang true to me. I have no idea about Denny being involved in firing/replacing Stitt and did not mean to suggest otherwise. Denny and Phyllis have been very generous to UM, for which we should all be thankful.

Back