Alex Germer......A Bobcat?

Griz & Big Sky Conference Basketball
UMFan12
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:20 pm
HookedonGriz wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 pm I don’t see it as a whiff. When TD can get 4 star guards from Cali who are getting recruited to Pac12 schools, then you often choose that kid over Montana’s finest. Will Germer be a good player for the Cats? I’m guessing yep he’ll be pretty good. Will TD land some absolute stud guard from Cali who will be better, yep he will.
Have we ever signed a 4 star recruit? (Maybe a PAC 12 transfer?) You act like they are everywhere... 4 stars are PAC 12 not Big Sky...Fast forward a couple years and Germer and kid from AK will be torching us
Yes, and giving up 85 PPG at the same time....and losing. Over here, DeCuire prioritizes mobility and quickness over shooting. The results, when he doesn’t have a roster full of freshman, speak for themselves. Hell, even this year, we got a win from Weber because of our defensive ability. When Germer isn’t knocking down shots, what does he give you?
wyomingriz
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 pm

UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm
wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:20 pm

Have we ever signed a 4 star recruit? (Maybe a PAC 12 transfer?) You act like they are everywhere... 4 stars are PAC 12 not Big Sky...Fast forward a couple years and Germer and kid from AK will be torching us
Yes, and giving up 85 PPG at the same time....and losing. Over here, DeCuire prioritizes mobility and quickness over shooting. The results, when he doesn’t have a roster full of freshman, speak for themselves. Hell, even this year, we got a win from Weber because of our defensive ability. When Germer isn’t knocking down shots, what does he give you?
You get a Missoula kid who grew up a Grizzly(father is a football coach) who is going over the mountain to play for a program on the rise which I find embarrassing ...Also a kid who has size and can shoot which we lack as a team. Instead you want another 2 star recruit from Cali who may or may not be here in a couple years
UMFan12
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm
UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm
Yes, and giving up 85 PPG at the same time....and losing. Over here, DeCuire prioritizes mobility and quickness over shooting. The results, when he doesn’t have a roster full of freshman, speak for themselves. Hell, even this year, we got a win from Weber because of our defensive ability. When Germer isn’t knocking down shots, what does he give you?
You get a Missoula kid who grew up a Grizzly(father is a football coach) who is going over the mountain to play for a program on the rise which I find embarrassing ...Also a kid who has size and can shoot which we lack as a team. Instead you want another 2 star recruit from Cali who may or may not be here in a couple years
Yes, so you want a kid who doesn’t fit our system on scholarship to sit the bench for 4 years based off location. Ok.....Recruit the kid, not the location. And more importantly, don’t sign a guy who doesn’t fit your program simply because of name.
Sport
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:02 pm
Location: Msla

At this point all we have is speculation, innuendo and rumors. We don’t know that Alex Germer doesn’t fit the “system “. The “system” hasn’t worked very well for us this year but there are extenuating circumstances. I believe Alex was offered during his junior year. A lot of bb players with growth spurts have issues with different parts of their games. Mac Anderson is a prime example, Mac went from 6’4” to 6’ 9” in 18 months. As a junior, without the benefit of a redshirt Mac’s game has improved to the point where he is a defensive presence albeit not where it shows in the stats sheets. Mac has gone from playing facing the basket to playing with his back to the basket. Not an easy transition.
I’m not saying Alex would be a contributor early on or at all but I would rather see him in a Griz uniform than a bobcat.
wyomingriz
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 pm

UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:42 pm
wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm

You get a Missoula kid who grew up a Grizzly(father is a football coach) who is going over the mountain to play for a program on the rise which I find embarrassing ...Also a kid who has size and can shoot which we lack as a team. Instead you want another 2 star recruit from Cali who may or may not be here in a couple years
Yes, so you want a kid who doesn’t fit our system on scholarship to sit the bench for 4 years based off location. Ok.....Recruit the kid, not the location. And more importantly, don’t sign a guy who doesn’t fit your program simply because of name.
Never said he doesn’t fit our system you did, and I don’t think he will sit on bench for 4 years, you do... As soon as TD got wind of MSU offering he should have offered also, happens if football all the time between Cats and Griz. I will say again, it is embarrassing...
UMFan12
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 pm
UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:42 pm
Yes, so you want a kid who doesn’t fit our system on scholarship to sit the bench for 4 years based off location. Ok.....Recruit the kid, not the location. And more importantly, don’t sign a guy who doesn’t fit your program simply because of name.
Never said he doesn’t fit our system you did, and I don’t think he will sit on bench for 4 years, you do... As soon as TD got wind of MSU offering he should have offered also, happens if football all the time between Cats and Griz. I will say again, it is embarrassing...
Well he doesn’t fit our system. Point blank. No denying. What does he provide when he isn’t hitting shots? If he has an off day he’s useless. Much like Tyler Hall was, except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability of Hall. To play for the Griz, you’re going to be asked to guard players sometimes 30-40 feet from the bucket in PnR. Germer has 0 chance of keeping up with division one guards. The guys Travis recruits can all do it.
Sport
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:02 pm
Location: Msla

There are very few 6’8” players who can keep up with 6’1”/6’3” guards. I’m not following your point? Why would a 6’8” player be guarding a guard anyway?
UMFan12
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

Sport wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 pm There are very few 6’8” players who can keep up with 6’1”/6’3” guards. I’m not following your point? Why would a 6’8” player be guarding a guard anyway?
Have you not watched the Griz for the last few years? In the PnR, the big/wing is asked to hedge, keep the guard in front of them, and then sprint back and recover. Alex looks like he could neither hedge or recover at the D1 level. It’s the way Travis defends the PnR. If you can’t do it, he doesn’t want you.
wyomingriz
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 pm

UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm
wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Never said he doesn’t fit our system you did, and I don’t think he will sit on bench for 4 years, you do... As soon as TD got wind of MSU offering he should have offered also, happens if football all the time between Cats and Griz. I will say again, it is embarrassing...
Well he doesn’t fit our system. Point blank. No denying. What does he provide when he isn’t hitting shots? If he has an off day he’s useless. Much like Tyler Hall was, except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability of Hall. To play for the Griz, you’re going to be asked to guard players sometimes 30-40 feet from the bucket in PnR. Germer has 0 chance of keeping up with division one guards. The guys Travis recruits can all do it.
How about having a stretch 4 who can post up and shoot threes on your squad? Good luck guarding him with your 6’2 2 star recruit... Look around college basketball most teams even in position less basketball utilize them. Beginning to think you want an all point guard line-up? Wow, good luck with that, no wait, that’s our current team. How is that working out?
UMFan12
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:32 pm
UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm
Well he doesn’t fit our system. Point blank. No denying. What does he provide when he isn’t hitting shots? If he has an off day he’s useless. Much like Tyler Hall was, except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability of Hall. To play for the Griz, you’re going to be asked to guard players sometimes 30-40 feet from the bucket in PnR. Germer has 0 chance of keeping up with division one guards. The guys Travis recruits can all do it.
How about having a stretch 4 who can post up and shoot threes on your squad? Good luck guarding him with your 6’2 2 star recruit... Look around college basketball most teams even in position less basketball utilize them. Beginning to think you want an all point guard line-up? Wow, good luck with that, no wait, that’s our current team. How is that working out?
What I say goes through one of your ears and out the other. How can you not comprehend the fact he doesn’t fit the way he play. Let the Cats have him, he won’t be asked to stay in front of guards. TDC has high standards and priorities defensive versatily. He’s not a guard, not sure why you’re suggesting a 6’2 guy would be guarding him. You’re all over the place. In our system, he would get eaten alive the way TDC defends the PnR.
wyomingriz
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 pm

UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:35 pm
wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:32 pm
How about having a stretch 4 who can post up and shoot threes on your squad? Good luck guarding him with your 6’2 2 star recruit... Look around college basketball most teams even in position less basketball utilize them. Beginning to think you want an all point guard line-up? Wow, good luck with that, no wait, that’s our current team. How is that working out?
What I say goes through one of your ears and out the other. How can you not comprehend the fact he doesn’t fit the way he play. Let the Cats have him, he won’t be asked to stay in front of guards. TDC has high standards and priorities defensive versatily. He’s not a guard, not sure why you’re suggesting a 6’2 guy would be guarding him. You’re all over the place. In our system, he would get eaten alive the way TDC defends the PnR.
Wow...Let the Cats have him? That’s a little harsh. You are just rehashing what we disagree on like it is gospel, its just an opinion that we obviously disagree on
ilovethecats
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:56 pm

Lots of times when these kids are making these decisions, the athletic side is only part of the equation. If basketball was the only consideration, or if Germer was some one-and-done guy going to the next level, then yes, the griz MUST land that player in your own yard.

People pick schools based on a plethora of reasons. Just because they are athletes doesn't mean that athletics are the sole reason for picking a school. Do you guys know what his interests are away from the basketball court? Are you privy to what kind of student he is and what his career aspirations are? Is he interested in obtaining a degree UM doesn't offer? Does he have a hot girlfriend that is going to MSU? :lol:

Point is, it's not as black and white as saying he should go to UM because he lives in Missoula and for him to go elsewhere is embarrassing.
User avatar
Grizfan-24
Posts: 1904
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Not on the beach. East County San Diego. Pedestrian Social Distancer.

ilovethecats wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:07 am Lots of times when these kids are making these decisions, the athletic side is only part of the equation. If basketball was the only consideration, or if Germer was some one-and-done guy going to the next level, then yes, the griz MUST land that player in your own yard.

People pick schools based on a plethora of reasons. Just because they are athletes doesn't mean that athletics are the sole reason for picking a school. Do you guys know what his interests are away from the basketball court? Are you privy to what kind of student he is and what his career aspirations are? Is he interested in obtaining a degree UM doesn't offer? Does he have a hot girlfriend that is going to MSU? :lol:

Point is, it's not as black and white as saying he should go to UM because he lives in Missoula and for him to go elsewhere is embarrassing.
Thank You. Well said.
Pedestrian Football analysis found here:
www.maroonbloodblog.com

Older pedestrian football analysis found here:
www.monidasports.blogspot.com

Full of double speak and clearly I have never played the game. Two thousand words where 10 would suffice.
Mousegriz
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 am

UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm
wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Never said he doesn’t fit our system you did, and I don’t think he will sit on bench for 4 years, you do... As soon as TD got wind of MSU offering he should have offered also, happens if football all the time between Cats and Griz. I will say again, it is embarrassing...
Well he doesn’t fit our system. Point blank. No denying. What does he provide when he isn’t hitting shots? If he has an off day he’s useless. Much like Tyler Hall was, except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability of Hall. To play for the Griz, you’re going to be asked to guard players sometimes 30-40 feet from the bucket in PnR. Germer has 0 chance of keeping up with division one guards. The guys Travis recruits can all do it.
Sounds like you've been one of the few to catch all Germer's games this year. Got him all figured out and know exactly how he'll develop over the next 4 - 5 years! You must be a recruiting consultant and helped get Gaskin, Satterwhite, Steadman, Clarke and Henderson (who am I forgetting?) into "the system". Didn't Hall stay at MSU for 4 years and make a couple all conference teams? Isn't he playing some type of pro ball now?

That defending the PnR 30 to 40 feet from the basket must be something no player ever learns after his junior year of HS. If you ain't got it by then Griz won't recruit you because it can't be taught.
UMFan12
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

Mousegriz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 am
UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm
Well he doesn’t fit our system. Point blank. No denying. What does he provide when he isn’t hitting shots? If he has an off day he’s useless. Much like Tyler Hall was, except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability of Hall. To play for the Griz, you’re going to be asked to guard players sometimes 30-40 feet from the bucket in PnR. Germer has 0 chance of keeping up with division one guards. The guys Travis recruits can all do it.
Sounds like you've been one of the few to catch all Germer's games this year. Got him all figured out and know exactly how he'll develop over the next 4 - 5 years! You must be a recruiting consultant and helped get Gaskin, Satterwhite, Steadman, Clarke and Henderson (who am I forgetting?) into "the system". Didn't Hall stay at MSU for 4 years and make a couple all conference teams? Isn't he playing some type of pro ball now?

That defending the PnR 30 to 40 feet from the basket must be something no player ever learns after his junior year of HS. If you ain't got it by then Griz won't recruit you because it can't be taught.
Boy you really don’t comprehend well. I compared him to Hall DEFENSIVELY. Remember teams singling out Hall? That’d be Alex, except Alex isn’t even close to what Hall was offensively. Once again, DeCuire is going to recruit guys who can already defend. He’s seen how people who can’t defend pan out in his system, as should you, and has stayed away from them. He’ll be a 6’8 spot up shooter who gives you absolutely nothing when he isn’t hitting shots. I’m sure DeCuire isn’t losing sleep over this considering all he offered was a walk on spot. By the way, Gaskin was going to be all conference for 2 or 3 years, yet you knock the recruitment of him due to him making an off court mistake that DeCuire couldn’t have predicted? And by the way, how many games did the Cats win against us when they had Hall?
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 8268
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

wyomingriz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm
UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm
Yes, and giving up 85 PPG at the same time....and losing. Over here, DeCuire prioritizes mobility and quickness over shooting. The results, when he doesn’t have a roster full of freshman, speak for themselves. Hell, even this year, we got a win from Weber because of our defensive ability. When Germer isn’t knocking down shots, what does he give you?
You get a Missoula kid who grew up a Grizzly(father is a football coach) who is going over the mountain to play for a program on the rise which I find embarrassing ...Also a kid who has size and can shoot which we lack as a team. Instead you want another 2 star recruit from Cali who may or may not be here in a couple years
Don’t feed the trolls. Another cats fan posing as a Griz. The dead give away is when he said the cats program is on the rise.....I didn’t known losing like 5 straight (blowouts in there too) crossed into that territory
Mousegriz
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 am

UMFan12 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:01 pm
Mousegriz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 am

Sounds like you've been one of the few to catch all Germer's games this year. Got him all figured out and know exactly how he'll develop over the next 4 - 5 years! You must be a recruiting consultant and helped get Gaskin, Satterwhite, Steadman, Clarke and Henderson (who am I forgetting?) into "the system". Didn't Hall stay at MSU for 4 years and make a couple all conference teams? Isn't he playing some type of pro ball now?

That defending the PnR 30 to 40 feet from the basket must be something no player ever learns after his junior year of HS. If you ain't got it by then Griz won't recruit you because it can't be taught.
Boy you really don’t comprehend well. I compared him to Hall DEFENSIVELY. Remember teams singling out Hall? That’d be Alex, except Alex isn’t even close to what Hall was offensively. Once again, DeCuire is going to recruit guys who can already defend. He’s seen how people who can’t defend pan out in his system, as should you, and has stayed away from them. He’ll be a 6’8 spot up shooter who gives you absolutely nothing when he isn’t hitting shots. I’m sure DeCuire isn’t losing sleep over this considering all he offered was a walk on spot. By the way, Gaskin was going to be all conference for 2 or 3 years, yet you knock the recruitment of him due to him making an off court mistake that DeCuire couldn’t have predicted? And by the way, how many games did the Cats win against us when they had Hall?
I obviously haven't watched all of Germer's games and didn't see all his AAU tournaments last summer like you did! I did watch him last year in a few games. Looked like a raw junior growing into his body. But a pretty polished shot and handled the ball well for a big kid. Not great on defense but didn't stand out as glaringly bad. Rollie Worster was bigger and stronger (not taller) but also looked to me a bit slow to defend guards at the D1 level. He seems to be doing OK so far. Why are you so certain Germer is only a spot up shooter and can't develop over the next 5 years?

I'm not here saying Germer is the biggest "miss" for Griz recruiting the past couple years. I'm saying with 12 or 13 full ride scholarships I'd take Germer over some of the no shows Griz have signed the past couple years.

Gaskin never even took the floor so "going to be all conference for 2 or 3 years" is a pretty big stretch. You were probably one of the guys touting Steadman as BSC MVP too. The game is played on the court not on the internet.

Several things seem pretty obvious. Germer isn't as big a Griz recruiting "miss" as Gaskin, Satterwhite, Clarke, Steadman....... and Henderson!
PlayerRep
Posts: 28518
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Mousegriz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 am
UMFan12 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm
Well he doesn’t fit our system. Point blank. No denying. What does he provide when he isn’t hitting shots? If he has an off day he’s useless. Much like Tyler Hall was, except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability of Hall. To play for the Griz, you’re going to be asked to guard players sometimes 30-40 feet from the bucket in PnR. Germer has 0 chance of keeping up with division one guards. The guys Travis recruits can all do it.
Sounds like you've been one of the few to catch all Germer's games this year. Got him all figured out and know exactly how he'll develop over the next 4 - 5 years! You must be a recruiting consultant and helped get Gaskin, Satterwhite, Steadman, Clarke and Henderson (who am I forgetting?) into "the system". Didn't Hall stay at MSU for 4 years and make a couple all conference teams? Isn't he playing some type of pro ball now?

That defending the PnR 30 to 40 feet from the basket must be something no player ever learns after his junior year of HS. If you ain't got it by then Griz won't recruit you because it can't be taught.
How were Kryslovik's feet, both as a frosh and as an upperclassman?

I don't think the Griz are doing nearly as much of that, pnr thing, as in the past.

Glad he's seeing the game, because Germer's mom just got to see him in person for the first time recently, when the number of tickets per person when up to 4.

My view is that a very good player like Germer should be offered no matter what. We need some MT kids. If the kid doesn't think he fits the system, he can decline the offer. I may have to go back to the record books at Bozeman high to see if I scored 51 points during my whole senior season (and I was a starter). I had very good feet, though, just for the record.
sdk.catfish
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: High Plains

I've never seen Germer play so I can't really comment on that. But just a gentle reminder to some posters that TDC's suffocating, stifling defense requiring 6' 2" 3 and 4 star guard recruits from California to defend the PnR just surrendered 90 points per game, in BOTH games, to EWU. If that is what it is then it appears to me that the team needs some recruits that enable the team to score 91 and I'm not seeing that. In my mind that is precisely what is wrong with the 20/21 version of the Griz. Perhaps Germer isn't the answer but playing great outside defense for 30 seconds and then giving up the backdoor cut, PnR, or three point shot is very similar to the offense dribbling around for 30 seconds and then attempting for the 6' 2", 3 and 4 star guard recruits, to drive the paint and put up something that results in a foul. Bad defense and offense this year - hopefully better in the future but not until TDC recruits some quality big men and some outside shooters that stay with the program.
sdk.catfish
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: High Plains

I've never seen Germer play so I can't really comment on that. But just a gentle reminder to some posters that TDC's suffocating, stifling defense requiring 6' 2" 3 and 4 star guard recruits from California to defend the PnR just surrendered 90 points per game, in BOTH games, to EWU. If that is what it is then it appears to me that the team needs some recruits that enable the team to score 91 and I'm not seeing that. In my mind that is precisely what is wrong with the 20/21 version of the Griz. Perhaps Germer isn't the answer but playing great outside defense for 30 seconds and then giving up the backdoor cut, PnR, or three point shot is very similar to the offense dribbling around for 30 seconds and then attempting for the 6' 2", 3 and 4 star guard recruits, to drive the paint and put up something that results in a foul. Bad defense and offense this year - hopefully better in the future but not until TDC recruits some quality big men and some outside shooters that stay with the program.
Post Reply