• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My Two Issues

citygriz

ISSUE ONE: Wake up! It's the era of the three-point shot! And we've got some very good three-point shooters. Mainly Josh Vazquez at almost 48%. Do you realize how good that is? Steph Curry is just about 37% right now. And three others on our team--Whitney,. Egan and Parker are also all above 40%, though on far fewer attempts than Vazquez. So my complaint: Why aren't we shooting more three's?
So far we've hoisted up 177 trey's in 13 games. Overall, we're shooting 35.6% Here's how other teams around the country are doing from downtown in roughly the same number of games:
Gonzaga Men: 34.3% on 277 attempts.
Stanford Women: 34% on 291 attempts. (And that's in 12 games to our 13.)
Arizona Men:36.3% on 248 attempts.
Time after time I watch our team pass up a three-point shot for a "better" shot, only to drive into the key and lose the ball. Please understand: If you're shooting 48% from downtown like Vazquez is, THERE IS NO BETTER SHOT! TAKE IT!

ISSUE TWO: What if I told you on the football board that we were going to have three pretty good young linebackers this year. Oh, by the way, each one weighs 212 pounds! The Board would f-ing freak out! You might be that exceptional freak linebacker who's good at 212, but overall, you are not going to win with linebackers weighing 212!
So why is it any different in basketball? We don't have one guy on this team that weighs more than 215. Our kids keep getting pushed around down low, and you don't have to go far to figure out why. Again, for comparison, the weights of some other teams in the country:
North Carolina: 240, 265, 245, 240, 250, 235.
Arizona: 244, 245, 245, 225, 235, 225.
Montana State: 235, 240, 230, 225.
Everybody seemed so thrilled that Steadman had lost so much weight. Why? Before the season, I was thrilled to see we had three bona-fide players in the 6'8" to 6'10" range. That just does not happen in the BIg Sky conference. And yet, given that we're so skinny up front, the advantage seems so far not to be in evidence.

Basketball has changed dramatically in a generation in so many ways. But in two critical ones--three-point shooting and the impact of weight training on the players--we seem to have fallen far behind. Travis may have grown up as a coach in the Mike Montgomery era of college basketball, but it is no longer the Mike Montgomery era. Basketball has evolved. Travis must too.

As to point #2, I was thinking that exact same thing watching us on the floor with NAU...Vazquez looked like a HS sophomore out there.

1. You’re right. We’ve got very good 3 point shooters on this team. Whitney seems like he’s starting to shoot more of them too. Egun doesn’t get a ton of playing time, but when he does, he comes in and knocks down 3’s so I’m not concerned about him. But Parker, the kid has such a beautiful shot and he passes up so many 3 point attempts and he’s proven he can knock them down. I get that he’s that guy that wants to get assists cause that’s his thing, but he has such a good shot as well and he needs to take more. If I’m Decuire I’m telling him every open opportunity he has, he’s taking the shot.

2. I 100% agree. I may have been the only one on this board who was disappointed to see him drop weight. What made Jamar Akoh one the top big men in the conference? He was a physical specimen. The guy has a great jump hook, is an outstanding rebounder, but if we could throw just a little more weight on him and Bannan, the sky is the limit for those two. So I agree, we need to be putting on weight, not taking off weight.

Griz til I die said:
1. You’re right. We’ve got very good 3 point shooters on this team. Whitney seems like he’s starting to shoot more of them too. Egun doesn’t get a ton of playing time, but when he does, he comes in and knocks down 3’s so I’m not concerned about him. But Parker, the kid has such a beautiful shot and he passes up so many 3 point attempts and he’s proven he can knock them down. I get that he’s that guy that wants to get assists cause that’s his thing, but he has such a good shot as well and he needs to take more. If I’m Decuire I’m telling him every open opportunity he has, he’s taking the shot.

2. I 100% agree. I may have been the only one on this board who was disappointed to see him drop weight. What made Jamar Akoh one the top big men in the conference? He was a physical specimen. The guy has a great jump hook, is an outstanding rebounder, but if we could throw just a little more weight on him and Bannan, the sky is the limit for those two. So I agree, we need to be putting on weight, not taking off weight.
Well I guess it is time to BULK UP Big Boys! :thumb:

One more dimension to this "new era" of three point-basketball.

In an earlier thread, I pointed out that at that time, some 12 games into the season, Steadman only had three assists. I was told this was not important, that big men don't worry about assists.

But right now the leader in assists in the NBA is center Nikola Jokic of the Nuggets. Why? Well, I can't provide specific evidence but my guess is that most of those assists come from passing back out to wide-open three-point shooters. So when your center has three assists in 12 games, you know his team is not looking for the three-point shot.

And one last comment about Mike Montgomery. Back at the dawn of the three-point era, when Montgomery was still at Montana, he famously said that if any of his players looked down at the three-point line before taking a shot, they'd be sitting on the bench.

Of course, this was all long before Steph Curry came along and revolutionized the importance of the three-point shot. Since then, I have watched many times as a player peeked down to make sure he was behind the three-point line before launching a shot.

Montgomery would have ulcers.

citay said:

In an earlier thread, I pointed out that at that time, some 12 games into the season, Steadman only had three assists. I was told this was not important, that big men don't worry about assists.

But right now the leader in assists in the NBA is center Nikola Jokic of the Nuggets. Why? Well, I can't provide specific evidence but my guess is that most of those assists come from passing back out to wide-open three-point shooters. So when your center has three assists in 12 games, you know his team is not looking for the three-point shot.

And one last comment about Mike Montgomery. Back at the dawn of the three-point era, when Montgomery was still at Montana, he famously said that if any of his players looked down at the three-point line before taking a shot, they'd be sitting on the bench.

Of course, this was all long before Steph Curry came along and revolutionized the importance of the three-point shot. Since then, I have watched many times as a player peeked down to make sure he was behind the three-point line before launching a shot.

Steadman has the most turnovers on the team is all everyone needs to know.

grizindabox said:
citay said:

Steadman has the most turnovers on the team is all everyone needs to know.

And the guy he's "kicking it out to" is regularly left wide open beyond the arc and is 3-23 from there. No wonder the guy can't buy an assist. :lol:

citay said:

So maybe, Monty didn't recruit, or develop outside shooters. I have sat here thinking back, to the 1980's and the power-forward, post-up offense taught by Montgomery and Morrill, and recalling the lack of outside shooting. I remember Allen Neilsen having a beautiful long-range shot, and then not much until Scott Zanon years-later. It is similar to Stitt intentionally recruiting zero fullbacks.

But, if the Griz can't score during the last 6 minutes at Flagstaff, then they might as well shoot from half-court.

Back