Fans, baby!

Griz & Big Sky Conference Basketball
citay

Anybody watched MLB or the NBA lately?

I have. But only briefly.

Baseball with its cardboard fans and piped in sound effects looks silly. Like the best man at a wedding who forgot his pants.

Basketball looks like a glorified YMCA scrimmage. Without cheering fans to amplify a great play or boo the opposing team, it all looks lifeless, soulless, dead.

You've got four components to the sports universe: Management; players and coaches; the media; we fans.

I've always said, we fans are the most important element. We pay the bills. Without us, the whole structure of Sport comes crashing down. From scholarships to mega-buck salaries.

But now that the pandemic has taken us out of the stadiums and out of the arenas, our value is even more apparent.

Sure, if the Cats and Griz play this year in an empty stadium, I'll watch. I'll cheer. But without a stadium of full of cheering fans, marching bands, mascots and cheerleaders, it won't feel the same, and it won't look the same.

I hope management, players and coaches and the media have learned a lesson about the most important element in their universe.

We fans.
maroonandsilver
eGriz Club

citay wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Baseball with its cardboard fans and piped in sound effects looks silly. Like the best man at a wedding who forgot his pants.

Basketball looks like a glorified YMCA scrimmage. Without cheering fans to amplify a great play or boo the opposing team, it all looks lifeless, soulless, dead.

You've got four components to the sports universe: Management; players and coaches; the media; we fans.

I've always said, we fans are the most important element. We pay the bills. Without us, the whole structure of Sport comes crashing down. From scholarships to mega-buck salaries.

But now that the pandemic has taken us out of the stadiums and out of the arenas, our value is even more apparent.

Sure, if the Cats and Griz play this year in an empty stadium, I'll watch. I'll cheer. But without a stadium of full of cheering fans, marching bands, mascots and cheerleaders, it won't feel the same, and it won't look the same.

I hope management, players and coaches and the media have learned a lesson about the most important element in their universe.

We fans.
Even golf on TV without fans seems more like watching guys playing practice rounds.
alabamagrizzly

maroonandsilver wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm
citay wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:29 pm

We fans.
Even golf on TV without fans seems more like watching guys playing practice rounds.
Someone might be putting themselves on too high a pedestal. W/out the players, who will the fans root for? Chicken or the egg. Wouldn’t really count the media as important either. They’re more like a wedding crasher then an invited guest.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
PeauxRouge

I've watched a handful of games and have found it entertaining!
MissoulaMarinerFan

PeauxRouge wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 pm
I've watched a handful of games and have found it entertaining!
I mostly listen to baseball in the summer and at first I found it kind of strange not hearing any fan reactions. However, it has been really cool just hearing the sounds of guys playing the game, especially hearing the crack of the bat and occasionally some on-field banter. Very Sandlot, summer-time playing in the street feel. I actually quite enjoy it more than I though I would.
alabamagrizzly

If you think it’s weird watching sports w/out fans, imagine fans watching an empty field. Not too much to cheer for I’d imagine.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's