Cats push #17 Utah State

Grizzly Basketball and Big Sky Conference Hoops
grizonbob
eGriz Club
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: out there in the ether

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by grizonbob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 am

I watched the replay of the MSU-Utah state game. Frey is the real deal. And Belo is a force inside. Cats have some nice complementary players too. They are going to be better than I expected this year.

User avatar
AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 10484
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Space (Best In)

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by AllWeatherFan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:03 pm

I agree with all the positive comments posted above about the Cats. But I still must conclude that the Bobcats suck.
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.

User avatar
Griz2k
eGriz Club
Posts: 3373
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:28 pm
Location: Missoula
Contact:

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by Griz2k » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 pm

FTC

Grizbballfan14
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:14 am

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by Grizbballfan14 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 pm

SACCAT66 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:23 pm
AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!

So the Cats were leading against a #14 team with 4 minutes left, and lose... And the overall sentiment is that Utah State is "trash"... Griz need something like a 14-0 run at the end of the game to MAKE IT a 11ish point loss, and they say that they are GREAT?! People on here saying that "a loss is a loss" but then turning around and saying that the griz loss to Stanford shows they are competitive? What the hell... At least be objective. Did the Cats close game mean anything?... Plrobably not... Did the griz loss mean anything? Probably not... But dont play both sides... You are all better than that... COME ON.
See above where I stated that my assessment had nothing to do with MSU and everything to do with my opinion of Utah State going into the game. I was genuinely impressed by the cats, as was EVERYONE else on this board. That doesnt mean that Utah State is a top 25 team.

A close loss against a top 40 or top 50 team is still impressive and was admittedly better than the Griz game. That said, if you dont want to read negative comments about the Cats, stay off of eGriz. I've never understood the intent. The only time I ever go on BN is to read Vim's high school preview and I have to open an incognito tab to even feel good about doing that.

Grizbballfan14
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:14 am

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by Grizbballfan14 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:04 pm
Grizbballfan14 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:12 am
Harold Fray is an outstanding talent, we've all known this since his freshman year. At the same time, MSU just lost their best player in history to graduation. As good as Harold fray is he still wasnt able to take advantage of having Tyler Hall, the all time leading scorer in big sky conference history, as a teammate.

I acknowledge that an argument could easily be made to say that poor coaching was the issue. I will even concede that Sprinkle will be better for the Cats than Fish, if for no other reason than his connection to the program. What I wont concede, is that the cats are a contender already. They are bigger than us, but play a lot of unproven juco and d2 transfers. Also, I personally dont think Utah State is a top 25 team.

No, I did not watch or listen to the game last night. What I do know is last year was Utah State's first tournament appearance in almost a decade and they lost in the first round to Washington (who should be ranked with the amount of talent they have, but inexplicably is not). I dont trust any mid major teams in the preseason top 25 if they dont play in the West Coast Conference.
We play a lot of unproven freshmen, and Tyler Hall was a black hole. Never saw a shot he didn’t like. HORRIBLE as a teammate to have a guy play like that.
While you're right, Cats fans and various commentators raved about him for the first 3 years but want to downplay him afterwards. It isnt our fault they couldnt develop him. Also that would be a problem if he was a bad shooter, but he shot above 40% from 3 through his career. Also just to play devil's advocate, he finished 7th in career steals and 10th in career assists at MSU. Obviously he played 4 years, but still impressive numbers nonetheless.

Anytime you have a player who finishes in the top 10 in NCAA all time for 3pt field goals and you dont even sniff a conference championship it is a disappointment.

He was a 1st team all big sky player, let's not pretend like he wasnt good just because the Cats couldnt utilize him.

braves84
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by braves84 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Grizbballfan14 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 pm
SACCAT66 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:23 pm
AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!

So the Cats were leading against a #14 team with 4 minutes left, and lose... And the overall sentiment is that Utah State is "trash"... Griz need something like a 14-0 run at the end of the game to MAKE IT a 11ish point loss, and they say that they are GREAT?! People on here saying that "a loss is a loss" but then turning around and saying that the griz loss to Stanford shows they are competitive? What the hell... At least be objective. Did the Cats close game mean anything?... Plrobably not... Did the griz loss mean anything? Probably not... But dont play both sides... You are all better than that... COME ON.
See above where I stated that my assessment had nothing to do with MSU and everything to do with my opinion of Utah State going into the game. I was genuinely impressed by the cats, as was EVERYONE else on this board. That doesnt mean that Utah State is a top 25 team.

A close loss against a top 40 or top 50 team is still impressive and was admittedly better than the Griz game. That said, if you dont want to read negative comments about the Cats, stay off of eGriz. I've never understood the intent. The only time I ever go on BN is to read Vim's high school preview and I have to open an incognito tab to even feel good about doing that.
Utah State beat Weber State by 55, and if possible the game wasn't as close as the score would indicate. Weber was down by 35 at half,35!!!.

grizzlyjournal
Posts: 2013
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by grizzlyjournal » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 pm

braves84 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:17 pm
Grizbballfan14 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 pm
SACCAT66 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:23 pm
AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!

So the Cats were leading against a #14 team with 4 minutes left, and lose... And the overall sentiment is that Utah State is "trash"... Griz need something like a 14-0 run at the end of the game to MAKE IT a 11ish point loss, and they say that they are GREAT?! People on here saying that "a loss is a loss" but then turning around and saying that the griz loss to Stanford shows they are competitive? What the hell... At least be objective. Did the Cats close game mean anything?... Plrobably not... Did the griz loss mean anything? Probably not... But dont play both sides... You are all better than that... COME ON.
See above where I stated that my assessment had nothing to do with MSU and everything to do with my opinion of Utah State going into the game. I was genuinely impressed by the cats, as was EVERYONE else on this board. That doesnt mean that Utah State is a top 25 team.

A close loss against a top 40 or top 50 team is still impressive and was admittedly better than the Griz game. That said, if you dont want to read negative comments about the Cats, stay off of eGriz. I've never understood the intent. The only time I ever go on BN is to read Vim's high school preview and I have to open an incognito tab to even feel good about doing that.
Utah State beat Weber State by 55, and if possible the game wasn't as close as the score would indicate. Weber was down by 35 at half,35!!!.
Weber State has had two setbacks of late. Jerrick Harding did not play... still recuperating from foot surgery about a month ago (approx.). Then, a quality backup guard, Caleb Nero, a sophomore, decided to transfer about a month ago as well. One of the Wildcats' two freshman guards, KJ Cunningham playes (scored 5). The other, Jordan, not mentioned in the box. So, the Wildcats were definitely playing the Aggies short-handed.

braves84
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by braves84 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:31 pm

grizzlyjournal wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 pm
braves84 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:17 pm
Grizbballfan14 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 pm
SACCAT66 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:23 pm
AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!

So the Cats were leading against a #14 team with 4 minutes left, and lose... And the overall sentiment is that Utah State is "trash"... Griz need something like a 14-0 run at the end of the game to MAKE IT a 11ish point loss, and they say that they are GREAT?! People on here saying that "a loss is a loss" but then turning around and saying that the griz loss to Stanford shows they are competitive? What the hell... At least be objective. Did the Cats close game mean anything?... Plrobably not... Did the griz loss mean anything? Probably not... But dont play both sides... You are all better than that... COME ON.
See above where I stated that my assessment had nothing to do with MSU and everything to do with my opinion of Utah State going into the game. I was genuinely impressed by the cats, as was EVERYONE else on this board. That doesnt mean that Utah State is a top 25 team.

A close loss against a top 40 or top 50 team is still impressive and was admittedly better than the Griz game. That said, if you dont want to read negative comments about the Cats, stay off of eGriz. I've never understood the intent. The only time I ever go on BN is to read Vim's high school preview and I have to open an incognito tab to even feel good about doing that.
Utah State beat Weber State by 55, and if possible the game wasn't as close as the score would indicate. Weber was down by 35 at half,35!!!.
Weber State has had two setbacks of late. Jerrick Harding did not play... still recuperating from foot surgery about a month ago (approx.). Then, a quality backup guard, Caleb Nero, a sophomore, decided to transfer about a month ago as well. One of the Wildcats' two freshman guards, KJ Cunningham playes (scored 5). The other, Jordan, not mentioned in the box. So, the Wildcats were definitely playing the Aggies short-handed.
Utah State was playing with out neemias queta who as a freshman was the mwc d.p.o.y. he was out with a sprained knee. He is a difference maker on defense and offense, last year he averaged almost a double double with 3 blocks a game. So Aggies were short handed as well. It happens.

User avatar
Walkon79
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Nemont

Re: Cats push #17 Utah State

Post by Walkon79 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:23 pm

I watched the late night scrimmage and didn't think we could throw it in the ocean. I was concerned we wouldn't win A conference game with only Harry!

Glad to see we might be a "little" better than that!
Mixed Marriage

Post Reply