• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Seattle Mariners

BWahlberg

DONOR
I've been following the Mariners for a little while now, looks like they're making some moves this year! Although I'm kind of wondering if they should've picked up a starting pitcher rather than two questionable power hitters.

Anyone follow Seattle? Let me know your thoughts!

I agree with you, I worry about their pitching. I myself am a Yankees fan and I'm not too concerned about pitching or anything else right now. I would say though, that both those guys should help the Mariners out. They needed some more offense, maybe it will take some pressure off Boone and he will return to form a little bit.

If Beltre can continue his hot streak and Sexson stays healthy the Mariners should have a pretty solid batting order.

If I could guess

1. Ichiro - RF
2. Sexson - 1stB / or Winn - CntrFld
3. Beltre - 3rdbs
4. Boone - 2ndbs
5. Jacobson - DH (This guy is HUGE)
6. Ibanez - LF
7. Winn if he isn't batting 2nd. If Winn is 2nd then Sexon would be 4th or 5th
8. Wilson - Catch
9. Whoever gets the SS spot

One big thing that will affect the M's is players staying healthy. Ibanez, Jacobson, Sexson, and Wilson all dealt with injuries last year and some were season-long injuries (Sexon & Jacobson)

I think these were good moves by Seattle, the only thing that worries me is Seattle seems to be the place where free agent hitter go to die. How many times has Seattle signed a guy for his bat only to have his worst years ever, starting with Pete O'Brien and continuing up to Jeff Cirrilo and Scott Spiezio. I suppose it happens everywhere though.

Seattle should have some good trade bait - either Ibanez or Jacobson, and Ibanez is a much needed left hand bat, so I suspect Bucky goes.

The mariner's pitching should be o.k., not great, they just don't have an Ace, but for the last few couple years their Ace was losing when only giving up 3 runs anyway. Seattle does have some good prospects in Madritsch, Nageotte, and Blackley as well as 18 year old Feliz Hernandez, who is being called the best pitching prospect in MLB, so maybe things will work out. Also Ron Villone accepted salary arbitration so he will be back.

Also look for Olivo to do most of the catching this year, and Jose Lopez to start at SS.

Olivo is hopefully a good "up an comer"

I'd rather see both Jacobson & Ibanez stay esp. if they're healthy, together they could put up a total of prob 50 HR's and 120+ RBIs.

The Ms will have Pinero & Moyer two proven winners starting. Both could really use a "rebound" year. They also have Meche and Franklin two starters who have showed some good skills at certain times and have fallen apart and lost run support also.

The bullpen is my major concern. I suppose if some of the prospective starters don't get the nod then we'll see Villone starting in the 5 spot.

Your forgetting about Bobby Matchrish. The kid came up during the season and pitched great as a starter. Villone accepted salary arbitration today, so he'll be back to help the bullpen or the rotation. I hope now that the team got 2 huge bats that they try and sign a decient bullpen pitcher with what money they have left. Now that the Griz season is over and the NFL only has a month left, I cant wait for Spring Training to come. GO MARINERS

I also wonder if Soriano will have his control & speed back.

I was in SAFECO 2 years ago when he pitched something like his 3rd game, and he was amazing! Of cour after surgery last year he looked very average.

One guy the Ms need to either knock down to Tacoma or send packing is JJ Putz. That guy drives me nuts, he was horrible last year.

I agree, two years ago it was Mateo and this year it was Putz. Once both of those guys came into the game, i knew the game was over. I think that a healthy Guardiado, Soriano and Villone would make a good bullpen and maybe someone will step up and be a another star.

Don't forget I think they still have Hasegawa too.

I seriously hope Every Day Eddie gets back into his routine, b/c last year he was less than impressive.

Looking at the AL West I think the M's stand a good chance to take 1st or 2nd, but they've got to secure their pitching and hope these new hitters can adjust to a ballpark that really isn't homerun friendly.

The A's seem to be headed into a down year, dealing two of their star pitchers, but we'll just have to see.

The Angels are becoming the Yankees of the west, they're spending a lot of money on batters, but not too much on pitching.

The Rangers had a good year, but once again they have poor pitching. I just don't see them having as much luck as last year.

Looks like Pokey Reece will be the new starting SS, which will be the end of Mariner free agent signing. Now they will look to trade Winn or Ibanez for pitching help.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/4400854p-4180082c.html

Pokey Reese...not bad, better than any other option they had. Looks like he'll be the solid #2 guy.

Also looks like that kid they got in the Garcia trade will get a lot of play time too, the Ms should grab a decent set-up man or 5th spot starter if they can deal Ibanez, who doesn't seem to be to happy that he's not in LF anymore.

Even though im a fan of both guys, I think if they were going to trade someone, it should be Winn. Ibanez can play outfield, 1st base, and DH. With them sending Cabrera to Japan with the Reese signing, they would be stupid to get rid of Raul. They need a guy to take Cabrera's place as a do anything guy and you can still get a decient pitcher for Winn. Throw Mateo or Putz in that deal while your at it.

Throw Putz in the bay if no one wants the guy!

I agree with trading Winn over Ibanez, although I wonder if they'll try to send them as a package deal.

Winn always has supposed to have his break out year every year, he has a great spring and then when the regular season comes about he tanks. Just about when it looks like he'll get the ax he turns it up and finishes strong. That I'm tired of, I'd like to see him put together a full season or gget sent packing, the Ms need a guy who can start strong and finish strong.

So far the Mariners are 1-7 during spring training. Just like last year, they cant score any runs and pitching is average. I know records in spring training dont mean much once the regular season begins, but unless they start playing better, Im going to start worrying about this team.

the Tigers are having a good spring training and we know how it will turn out for them...horrible.......I think your Mariners have enough offense where your pitching can be a bit more awful.

I have hated the Mariners since Junior was a rookie. Being a Texas Ranger fan I revel in the times they suck. Mariner Fans hate the Rangers so the feeling is mutual. Are the Mariners Montana's team? do you all get the games on the Radio and TV? Do you get stuff from Denver like the Rockies and Broncos?

We get the Mariner's on the radio, and usually on TV when they are on FSN. We also get Colorado and Arizona baseball on FSN occasionally.

For football we usually get the Broncos and Packers on TV, and rarely the Seahawks. Seahawks are on the radio.

For NBA we get Utah and Denver, never the Sonics on FSN.

BTW, Mariner fans never worry about Texas because everyone knows they will choke in hot, humid nights of August - except for PayRod, but now we both have our PayRod hatred
:lol:

Grizbeer said:
We get the Mariner's on the radio, and usually on TV when they are on FSN. We also get Colorado and Arizona baseball on FSN occasionally.

For football we usually get the Broncos and Packers on TV, and rarely the Seahawks. Seahawks are on the radio.

For NBA we get Utah and Denver, never the Sonics on FSN.

BTW, Mariner fans never worry about Texas because everyone knows they will choke in hot, humid nights of August - except for PayRod, but now we both have our PayRod hatred
:lol:
I would like to point out that no Ranger Pitcher ever used Steroids. I think our Pitchers against Seattle have shown that.

I like learning about states media. My relatives in Iowa see Bears and Vikings games on TV.

Huge Mariner fan, here. For what it's worth, here is a link to a damn fine Mariner's board: (Your employers will hate me for this)

http://www.sportspot.net/

It's by far the most civil and informative board that I've ever come across. The agreement that you have to sign to become active is pretty strict and they enforce it. No name calling crap on that board.

They also list the Seahawks and Sonics but most of the posting activity is in the M's section. If you want a good view of spring training, check out the string entitled "Grandpa at ST". It's a running commentary from a former Dodger's pitching coach that is now an M's fan camped at spring training. Just coast over everyone elses posts and read his - the dude knows what he is talking about.

Right now, the starting lineup is looking something like this:

1 Ichiro (RF)
2 Reed (CF) or Winn (LF)
3 Beltre (3B)
4 Sexon (1B)
5 Ibanez (DH)
6 Boone (2B)
7 Olivo (C)
8 Reece (SS) or Lopez (SS)
9 Reed (CF) or Winn (LF)

Lopez has been playing very well but management seems to favor sending him to Tacoma and giving the SS job to Pokey Reece for the year. The big battle is for the bench spots, the bulpen and starting rotation.

Pitching is the big???? Piniero and Eddie have been hurt and may not be ready to go to start the season. Sele has probably pitched himself into the rotation (gulp!?!) and Putz has looked very solid. Soriano has yet to throw from the mound (Tommy John surgery) and may be ready after the All Star Break. Nelson has been up and down but will probably break camp with the club. It has been all but announced that Moyer will be the pitcher on opening day.

Hargrove has indicated that he will break camp with 12 (!!!) pitchers, so bench spots are at a premium. Dobbs has been hitting the cover off the ball but they may not have a spot for him. Bucky's knee still hasn't recovered from off-season knee surgery and he won't be ready for a while. Willie Bloomquist was named "emergency catcher" and can play just about anywhere, so he and Wilson will take up two bench spots. Spezio and strong probably have the inside track on the other spots.

Whats your take on Beltre? I am a Dodgers fan and hated to see him go but at the same time the guy stepped up when it was the last year on his contract.....it will be an interesting season.....hell even people out here are somewhat enthused about the Tigers..

Latest posts

Back