• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vikings-Seahawks Game final tackle - or not

Grizbeer

o.k. I know this was late but for anyone who watched the Vikings-Seahawks game last Sunday, how could Culpepper not not have been ruled down on the last play? I know the replay shows his knee didn't touch the ground, but I would think when the defender wraps you up and rolls you around on the ground that might qualify as in the grasp and control of the defender.

If that pass had been completed and counted as a touchdown what would this mean for future plays - would you actually have to take the QB's knee and place it on the ground to get credit for the tackle? The defender was never credited with a tackle.

2 weeks in a row the refs blow a call at the end of the Seahawks game - and this week they play at the jets, scene of the original ref blown call that lead to a loss that led to the Seahawks missing the playoffs that lead to Dennis Erickson being fired. Can't wait for the fireworks.

I did see that play, and it was a horrible call. However, that is a reviewable play, and if the pass were completed that play would have ceratainly been reviewed and overruled as a sack. Being that the pass was incomplete and the game was basically over, there wasn't much need to review the play, no harm no foul.

F.T.C. said:
However, that is a reviewable play, and if the pass were completed that play would have ceratainly been reviewed and overruled as a sack. Being that the pass was incomplete and the game was basically over, there wasn't much need to review the play, no harm no foul.

I would have more faith had they reviewed Johnson's touchdown in the Monday night SF game - of course at the time the officials probably figured there was no way the Seahawks could lose the game, so why bother with the replay delay. Ooops. :oops:

I am a Viking and Seahawk fan, but I don't see how the league doesn't come out and say the refs blew it on that play.

<--- Packers Fan

Culpepper's knee was down on the ground as the DE was still holding onto him, they had 3 angles that showed it. They didn't even review it b/c it looked pretty obvious. Couldn't have happened to a better group of "class act" guys too! :wink:

Ok I live in Minnesota and have Vikings season tickets so I may be biais here.

The rule for in the grasp applies when the official feels that the QB may be in a position to be injured. So if it is a one-on-one situtation and the D has the QB wrappedup he needs to take him down. However, if the D has the QB wrapped up and another Defender is coming to make a hit then the official will blow his whistle for in the grasp to prevent injury.

Another things is the officials also are aware of who the Qb's are. So if your tackling Dante you need to bring him down because he has shown the ability to break tackles and the officials will allow him to fight. On the other hand if that were say Peyton Manning they would have called him down.

One last thing on reviewing the play. The only part of that play that could have been reviewed was if his knee was down or not. In the grasp is a judgement call, thus non-reviewable.

With all that being said. Christmas eve at the Dome baby. I am really not that confident in the outcome, however Favre seems to struggle in there, so lets cross our fingers :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

<--- Also a Packers fan.

It should be a great game on X-Mas Eve between the Pack & Vikes! There's a lot on the line, if the Pack wins, they clich the division. If the Vikings win, and win the following week, they will win the division.

My stomach gets knots in it everytime Favre plays in a dome, but I've got a feeling he's got something up his sleeve for this game!

F.T.C. said:
<--- Also a Packers fan.

It should be a great game on X-Mas Eve between the Pack & Vikes! There's a lot on the line, if the Pack wins, they clich the division. If the Vikings win, and win the following week, they will win the division.

My stomach gets knots in it everytime Favre plays in a dome, but I've got a feeling he's got something up his sleeve for this game!

A VIKs win and they clinch the division due to the tie breaker.

We may want to look up Favre's sleeve for some vicatin(sp).

This will be a shootout 48-45 with 2 awesome defenses on the field :oops:

The Packers are lucky that Mike Tice is the 2nd dumbest coach in the NFL behind Mike Martz.

I'm worried about this game, Favre has really seemed to lose his touch to put together a complete game, and Ahman Green has seemed to lose a bit of his speed since his injury.

As big of a Pack fan that I am, I think the Vikings will win by at least 7.

Back