• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SEC and traditionally mediocre teams

CDAGRIZ

DONOR
I hate how when the traditional middle of the pack teams in the PAC perform well (Utah and the Arizonas), it means that the PAC is down, but when the same happens in the SEC (Miss St and Ole Miss), it means that the SEC is "so tough top to bottom."

A PAC 12 team gets no credit by going on the road and beating a conference foe unless the foe is Oregon. Meanwhile, Miss St. can barely escape against Arkansas AT HOME and all the rhetoric is about how it is so tough to win every week in the SEC.

UCLA dropped from #7 to #11 after starting 3-0, beat the shit out of 6-1 ASU, lost to 6-1 Utah (by two) and Oregon, and they are ranked #22. They just beat Arizona, and will probably only rise a few spots. Ole Miss will still be in the top 10 on Monday after losing to LSU and Auburn. It seems like the pollsters just like to keep the solid PAC 12 teams ranked in the teens so a team that beats them in conference isn't rewarded too much for winning, and is penalized more severely for a loss.

The Pac 12 ball is by far my favorite FBS conference to watch. I loath the SEC and everything it stands for. I hear what you are saying but until last year (FSU) the SEC had 7 national championships in a row. I think that most of the pollsters (and the general public alike) will hold a bias regarding the SEC and southern football in general until some teams from other regions win some championships. It is just human nature and a perceived bias. As Az wrote, this type of bias is not just found in the FBS.

That said, what a great year for the PAC 12! I'm torn because I love how competitive it is this year but realize how it will impact teams in the rankings. My favorite game of the year was watching ASU knock off USC. Did you watch the Utah and ASU game last night? As a fan you have to appreciate the competition. This of course comes with teams with multiple loses. I'm hopeful that they move it to an 8 team NCAA Championship soon which will help with giving some teams beyond the southeast an opportunity to prove themselves head to head. I'm hoping that we see a Pac 12 team win the championship game this year. God knows that they will be ready for it given the competition that they have faced.

Ursa Major said:
The Pac 12 ball is by far my favorite FBS conference to watch. I loath the SEC and everything it stands for. I hear what you are saying but until last year (FSU) the SEC had 7 national championships in a row. I think that most of the pollsters (and the general public alike) will hold a bias regarding the SEC and southern football in general until some teams from other regions win some championships. It is just human nature and a perceived bias. As Az wrote, this type of bias is not just found in the FBS.

That said, what a great year for the PAC 12! I'm torn because I love how competitive it is this year but realize how it will impact teams in the rankings. My favorite game of the year was watching ASU knock off USC. Did you watch the Utah and ASU game last night? As a fan you have to appreciate the competition. This of course comes with teams with multiple loses. I'm hopeful that they move it to an 8 team NCAA Championship soon which will help with giving some teams beyond the southeast an opportunity to prove themselves head to head. I'm hoping that we see a Pac 12 team win the championship game this year. God knows that they will be ready for it given the competition that they have faced.

Totally. I think the SEC dominance might have been a chicken/egg thing in certain years with the bias maybe causing some title game placement. Certain other years, they completely deserved it. I think the SEC is down this year, but we will never hear about it. The first place SEC team will almost always be ranked #1. I agree about the PAC cannibalism being a double-edged sword this year. Something about which the SEC needn't ever worry. Utah/ASU was a great game!

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:

Totally. I think the SEC dominance might have been a chicken/egg thing in certain years with the bias maybe causing some title game placement. Certain other years, they completely deserved it. I think the SEC is down this year, but we will never hear about it. The first place SEC team will almost always be ranked #1. I agree about the PAC cannibalism being a double-edged sword this year. Something about which the SEC needn't ever worry. Utah/ASU was a great game!

Word! I bet there are two teams from SEC in the four team playoff this year.

My question is do you think the SEC does not deserve 2 if miss st loses to bama only and bama wins out??? Unfair question cuz we dont know about what the rest of the country does. But do you go by best loss or most amount of good wins which is all subjective... Best case scenario for all sec haters is SEC east team beating the team from the west cuz sec east team is not goin

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:

Word! I bet there are two teams from SEC in the four team playoff this year.

Latest posts

Back