• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Old Works Golf Course to Close?

grizpack

eGriz Club
DONOR
http://www.kxlf.com/news/old-works-golf-course-to-close-without-funding/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be a shame to see this course close. However, I think they price themselves out. It is $100 to play during the summer with a cart. It is a tough course to walk. It is a great course, but it is out of the way 100 miles or more to everyone but Butte or Anaconda. There isn't much else to do there but golf. The cost is a factor to a lot of people I talk to.

I would bet if they lower the cost a little ($65-75), it would be full, and doing much better financially. Just my thoughts. I hope they get it figured out.

It's part of a nationwide trend:

http://bizwest.com/in-the-rough-golf-courses-struggle-with-sub-par-demand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To a certain extent, the industry has brought this misfortune on itself. How many times have you experienced some arrogant "golf pro" in the clubhouse who tells you that you need a collared shirt to play or otherwise tries to make you feel grateful for the opportunity to pay $100 to play a round on "his" course?

It's a flawed business model, and there's nothing like weak demand and excess supply to bring things back into a reasonable balance.

The cost is definitely a factor. Wahlberg, Willie, funnywater, and I played it last summer.. we found a pretty good deal online to play it, otherwise we probably wouldn't have because $100 is a lot to swing the sticks. Also not an easy course to walk.. very long, and in the summer that's the worst. I'd be sad if this course went away because it's a terrific and unique course. But really, is there anything more annoying that some jag-off course marshal telling you to speed it up?

MrTitleist said:
But really, is there anything more annoying that some jag-off course marshal telling you to speed it up?

Yes, playing behind said foursome. ....

Pssh.. that's a foursome you wish you were invited to!

Actually, you can replace Willie since he's dead now.

MrTitleist said:
The cost is definitely a factor. Wahlberg, Willie, funnywater, and I played it last summer.. we found a pretty good deal online to play it, otherwise we probably wouldn't have because $100 is a lot to swing the sticks. Also not an easy course to walk.. very long, and in the summer that's the worst. I'd be sad if this course went away because it's a terrific and unique course. But really, is there anything more annoying that some jag-off course marshal telling you to speed it up?

Would have been easier to walk if you had my son hitting into you....again!! :thumb:

Back