• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

World Cup 2014

AllWeatherFan

DONOR
After the U.S.'s exciting win over Ghana today, we will likely need at least a draw with Portugal on Sunday to advance. It will be tough without Altidore.

What say you doofuses?

Portugal lost Pepe and Ronaldo is not at 100%. If they have Altodore they have a legitimate shot at scoring a point, which they need. Germany should beat Ghana which leaves Ghana with 0 points after 2 games, Germany would have 6, US 4 and Portugal 1 going into the last game. Would be a great position for the US to be in against Germany.

I think Ghana will take down Portugal, so a U.S. win or draw with Portugal would be huge. If we lose to Portugal, it may come down to goal differential against Germany. But yeah, Portugal will be down three players on Sunday.

I like watching the WC when the US plays, but I am NOT a soccer fan.

Here are my primary questions about soccer:

1. WTF is the deal with the clock? Why does it run "up"? And why if they're going to add some arbitrary time don't they just stop the damn thing when they need to? You know, like every sport ever invented does.

2. If there can be offsides, WTF don't they paint a line there? They have one at midfield, which -- as far as I can tell -- is utterly meaningless, but they don't have a line where there needs to be a freakin' line.

3. Why can guys move up like 9 yards before they throw in a ball from the sidelines?

offsides has nothing to do with a line. offsides is determined based on the offense position in relation to the defense. Offense can not be between the goal and the last defender (not including the goalie) until the ball has been played to a position beyond the last defender i.e. no cherry picking.

Offside (singular, not plural) is based on where the offensive player (who must be "in the play") is at the time the pass is made to that player. As cmt stated, if the offensive player is closer to the end line than the last defender (not the keeper) when the pass is made, he's offside.

The clock is the best thing about soccer, Everett! Since there's never a timeout, the players actually have to figure shit out for themselves rather than having a coach yammering at them the entire game.

And since there are no timeouts: (1) there's less down time, (2) the players have to work their asses off with no rest breaks, other than when somebody gets injured or flops, and (3) you know that every game is going to be over in roughly two hours and fifteen minutes, which makes it easier to plan your drinking. Stoppage time just makes up for all the time wasted during injuries and flops (see above). Everybody knows it's a little arbitrary, but nobody cares - it's just expected.

If that's the definition of offside, then can someone explain to me why the Uruguay player wasn't offside on the 2nd goal against England?

It's an odd sport.

EverettGriz said:
If that's the definition of offside, then can someone explain to me why the Uruguay player wasn't offside on the 2nd goal against England?

I didn't see it in the replay, but apparently the ball glanced off a player from England's head after it was punted down the field, thus, no offside, even if Suarez was in an offside position at the time of punt.

I really do not understand the game. It is boring. I had a better time watching the paint in my living room dry last fall. In a attempt to gain some insight to the game, I saw the Seattle Sounders play somebody in the Kingdome during playoffs. As far as I could tell, I was the only one speaking English. After a couple $8 beers, I left the Dome, and left my interest in soccer on my seat about midfield.

Having the attention span somewhere between an amoeba and a flatworm, try as I might, I just can't watch soccer...

For me, it would be more interesting/exciting if they cut the field in half, and let the players use their hands.

Some folks would call that rugby, but I don't give a shit. I'm just trying to find another interesting sport to watch.

I would have more respect for it if, every time a player flopped and they had to stop the game, that player had to come out of the game for at least 15 minutes. I really hate the flopping. And the ties. And the clock thing at the end. And the ties.

And what's up with the "nil"??

Just call it "zero" like every other freaking sport (except tennis, which is also weird. But only for scoring. At least no one has ever added some arbitrary "extra games" at the end of a tennis match).

And fifteen minutes isn't enough for flopping. It should be an automatic red card.

But don't get me started on the cards....

EverettGriz said:

Just call it "zero" like every other freaking sport (except tennis, which is also weird. But only for scoring. At least no one has ever added some arbitrary "extra games" at the end of a tennis match).

And fifteen minutes isn't enough for flopping. It should be an automatic red card.

You only say "love" after the motel room is paid for.

Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:

You only say "love" after the motel room is paid for.

Paid for, schmaid for. I just take of that shit myself, using the Continental grip (although on special occasions I go with with the extreme Western grip, just to add a little spice).

Is this the "do you like soccer" thread? No, it is not.

Is it the "list all the reasons you hate soccer" thread? Nope.

Come on, get your damn head in the game!

AllWeatherFan said:
Is this the "do you like soccer" thread? No, it is not.

Is it the "list all the reasons you hate soccer" thread? Nope.

Come on, get your damn head in the game!

That would be a thread that would easily top17 pages.

Here are the World Cup scenarios for the U.S. for advancement to the Round of 16:

USA beats or ties Germany: USA Advances
USA loses and Portugal ties Ghana: USA Advances
USA loses and Portugal beats Ghana by less than 4 (very likely): USA Advances
USA loses and Ghana beats Portugal by 1: USA Advances
USA loses and Ghana beats Portugal by more than 1: Ghana advances

I like our chances!

AllWeatherFan said:
Here are the World Cup scenarios for the U.S. for advancement to the Round of 16:

USA beats or ties Germany: USA Advances
USA loses and Portugal ties Ghana: USA Advances
USA loses and Portugal beats Ghana by less than 4 (very likely): USA Advances
USA loses and Ghana beats Portugal by 1: USA Advances
USA loses and Ghana beats Portugal by more than 1: Ghana advances

I like our chances!

Not quite,

For instance....

If USA loses by 3 and Portugal wins by three, goal differentials then go to -2 USA and -1 Portugal. So Portugal would advance.

Back