• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

RIP Tony Gwynn

grizpack said:
RIP to Tony Gwynn. One of the best hitters. Ever. Cancer sucks.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-plaschke-tony-gwynn-20140616-column.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

. . . Tony Gwynn died of cancer Monday at age 54, and the loss to the humanity of the sports world is incalculable.

He was one of the greatest pure swingers ever, a Hall of Famer with 3,141 hits. But more important, in a sports world filled with arrogance and vitriol, he was unmatched as a human being. That locker that served as my refuge was everyone’s refuge, the neighborhood grocery, all welcome, all treated as an equal. Even during the two occasions when his Padres reached the World Series, he acted as if he was still at Long Beach Poly High, just a lucky kid hanging out with friends. He was always smiling through the sweat of his seemingly constant work. He was always willing to answer any question about anything: hitting, the Lakers, life, and always with a wisdom that didn’t demean, but empowered.

. . . Three years ago, one of Tony Gwynn’s greatest legacies showed up at Chavez Ravine. It was his son, Tony Gwynn Jr., who spent two modest seasons as a Dodgers outfielder. When I approached Tony Jr. for our first interview, I felt so old — until he gave me that Gwynn hug and that Gwynn laugh.

Tony Jr. never flinched at the burden of a baseball player carrying the Gwynn name. He acted lucky to be there, and glad to have others along for the ride. His father would have been proud. “I know this sounds funny, but I gotta tell you, I love your dad,” I told him once. “That’s not funny at all,” he said. “Because I do, too.’’ In the end, truly, Tony Gwynn’s greatest achievement was not that he was so admired or emulated, but that he was so loved.
:(

Proud Griz Man said:
grizpack said:
RIP to Tony Gwynn. One of the best hitters. Ever. Cancer sucks.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-plaschke-tony-gwynn-20140616-column.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

. . . Tony Gwynn died of cancer Monday at age 54, and the loss to the humanity of the sports world is incalculable.

He was one of the greatest pure swingers ever, a Hall of Famer with 3,141 hits. But more important, in a sports world filled with arrogance and vitriol, he was unmatched as a human being. That locker that served as my refuge was everyone’s refuge, the neighborhood grocery, all welcome, all treated as an equal. Even during the two occasions when his Padres reached the World Series, he acted as if he was still at Long Beach Poly High, just a lucky kid hanging out with friends. He was always smiling through the sweat of his seemingly constant work. He was always willing to answer any question about anything: hitting, the Lakers, life, and always with a wisdom that didn’t demean, but empowered.

. . . Three years ago, one of Tony Gwynn’s greatest legacies showed up at Chavez Ravine. It was his son, Tony Gwynn Jr., who spent two modest seasons as a Dodgers outfielder. When I approached Tony Jr. for our first interview, I felt so old — until he gave me that Gwynn hug and that Gwynn laugh.

Tony Jr. never flinched at the burden of a baseball player carrying the Gwynn name. He acted lucky to be there, and glad to have others along for the ride. His father would have been proud. “I know this sounds funny, but I gotta tell you, I love your dad,” I told him once. “That’s not funny at all,” he said. “Because I do, too.’’ In the end, truly, Tony Gwynn’s greatest achievement was not that he was so admired or emulated, but that he was so loved.
:(

Tony still holds the assists record for the San Diego State basket ball team. He was a fantastic point guard. Tony was actually on scholarship for basketball if you can believe it. NBA 10th round pick too. A great person.

Back