• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Lightning take the Stanley Cup

Jimus

My hockey team won Game 7 of the Finals last night, 2-1, to win the Stanley Cup for the first time in franchise history. In my opinion, it was the greatest championship series ever. Congratulations, Tampa Bay Lightning, your 2004 Stanley Cup Champions!!!

a_tampa_ft.jpg

Im a huge hockey fan myself (Go Avs) but that wasnt even close to the best series ever. Sure, it was a great series, i watched every game, but unless your a lightning or flames fan, you'd rather see something like Colorado and New Jersey or Detriot and Boston.

I know it wasn't really the greatest series, but I'm saying that it was to me. I couldn't have asked for any better than Tampa Bay beating Calgary in a Game 7; Tampa because I grew up going to their games and watching them back when the team was in its infancy, and Calgary because they're the nearest team to Montana and I had always liked to see them do well. I was high up in the GA section for Game 4 in the Saddledome, and that had to be the coolest sports experience I've ever had. Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Plus, you got to love it when small-market, low payroll teams make it to the top. Good stories on both sides. Great to see Dave Andreychuk finally win it.

Objectively, I'd say the 1994 SC Finals were the greatest in my time watching hockey, with the Rangers taking a 3-1 series lead, then upstart Vancouver forcing a Game 7 to make it seem like the Curse would take NY down yet again, and then Messier closing the deal for the Rangers to break the jinx. Now that was classic.

I know the feeling. 2001, the Avs and Bourque winning the cup in a Game 7, doesnt get any better than that. I had the oppertunity to go to the Saddledome this season to see the Avs play the Flames. It was really cool to think that the rink level seats that we paid $83 a seat for were going for many times that during the playoffs.
Anyway, i think your right about the greatest series ever. That would be like the Red Sox going to a Game 7 and Pedro guranteeing that they would win the game and end the curse. What a game that was.

Back