• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sports Illustrated selects 50 top athletes from MT

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
I found the list to be comprehensive, and learned new information. I was surprised that Kirk Scrafford didn't make the list after his lengthy NFL career. Scrafford's credentials probably exceed Widmers or Salonens in games played, starts, and playoff appearances. Several other Griz standouts made the list.

Sports Illustrated identifies their top Montana athletes, being:

1 Dave McNally, Billings
Four-time 20-game winner with the Orioles; tied then AL record with 17 consecutive wins in 1968-69.
2 Dan Mortensen, Billings
Rodeo all-around world champion in 1997; saddle bronc winner in '93, '94, '95 and again in '97 and '98.
3 Lones Wigger, Great Falls
One of the greatest U.S. rifle shooters; won two Olympic gold medals, in small-bore (1964) and free rifle ('72), and a silver in small bore ('64).
4 Pat Donovan, Helena
Four-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman for Cowboys from 1975 to '83.
5 Corey Widmer, Bozeman
Two-time All-Big Sky Conference at Montana State; currently a starting linebacker for Giants.
6 Jeff Ballard, Billings
No high school team, but played American Legion ball and earned scholarship to Stanford; set three Cardinal records; pitched for Orioles and Pirates from 1987 to '94.
7 Ryan Leaf, Great Falls
Led C.M. Russell High to 1992 state title; took Washington State to '97 Rose Bowl; second pick overall by Chargers in '98.
8 Greg Rice, Missoula
Sullivan Award winner in 1940 was two-time NCAA two-mile champion for Notre Dame.
9 Gene Davis, Missoula
NCAA 137-pound wrestling champion in 1966; Olympic bronze medalist in '76.
10 Scott Davis, Great Falls
Rose from obscurity to win 1993 U.S. figure skating championship, won again the following year.
11 Tim Hauck, Big Timber
All-America safety at Montana has spent 10 seasons in NFL; currently with Eagles.
12 Dave Dickenson, Great Falls
Two-time All-America at Montana threw for 11,080 yards and 96 TDs; led Grizzlies to Division I-AA title in 1995.
13 Shannon Cate, Billings
Alltime leading scorer (2,172 points), male or female, in Montana basketball history; 1991-92 All-America; holds nine Big Sky records.
14 Robert Craig (Evel) Knievel, Butte
Bombastic daredevil broke 35 bones attempting to jump almost anything on his motorcycle, including Idaho's mile-wide Snake River Canyon.
15 Shannon Butler, Eureka
NCAA men's champion in 10,000 (1990) and 5,000 meters ('91) at Montana State.
16 Larry Krystkowiak, Shelby
Standout for Montana; was hard-nosed forward for six NBA teams; best season was 1988-89, when he averaged 12.7 points and 7.6 rebounds.
17 Brian Salonen, Great Falls
Division I-AA All-America left Montana in 1984 as school's alltime leading receiver.
18 Marvin Camel, Missoula
World Boxing Council's first cruiserweight champion, in 1980; '83 International Boxing Federation cruiser champion.
19 Ed Kalafat, Anaconda
Standout center at Minnesota averaged 14.5 points; played for Lakers from 1954 to '57.
20 Alice Greenough, Red Lodge
Won three national rodeo titles in 1930s and '40s; first inductee into Cowgirl Hall of Fame, in '75; entered National Cowboy Hall of Fame in '83.
21 Sonny Holland, Butte
Three-time Division I-AA All-America linebacker at Montana State; head coach of Bobcats from 1971 to '77.
22 Alice Ritzman, Kalispell
Has earned more than $1 million on LPGA tour -- the second most by a player who has never won a tournament.
23 Milt Popovich, Butte
All-America halfback at Montana; played for the Cardinals from 1938 to '42, rushing for 233 yards and four touchdowns.
24 Deb Greenough, Red Lodge
Nephew of Alice Greenough (#20) was 1993 world champion bareback rider.
25 Terry Casey, Great Falls
All-America center iceman at North Dakota in 1965-66; member of U.S. team in '67 world championships.
26 Mike Tilleman, Chinook
Montana defensive tackle had 11-year career (1966-76) with Vikings, Saints, Oilers and Falcons.
27 (Wild) Bill Kelly, Missoula
All-America quarterback and halfback at Montana from 1924 to '26; scored 31 career touchdowns; also lettered in baseball and basketball.
28 Mike Lewis, Missoula
All-America center averaged 21.7 points and 14.4 rebounds in 1967-68 at Duke; spent one season in ABA with Pacers.
29 Eric Bergoust, Missoula
Won gold medal in aerial skiing at 1998 Olympics.
30 Marti Leibenguth, Missoula
Three-time All-Big Sky in basketball at Montana from 1984 to '88; voted Little Sullivan Award winner in '88 as best female athlete in state; played professionally in France in 1988-89.
31 Larry Questad, Livingston
Sprinter placed sixth in 200 meters at 1968 Olympics.
32 Brick Breeden, Bozeman
All-America basketball guard at Montana State; school's alltime winningest coach in sport (283-198, 1936-47, '48-54).
33 Dick Doyle, Missoula
Two-time track and field All-America at Montana was 1950 NCAA discus champion.
34 Dave Silk, Butte
Speed skater was World Cup champion at 5,000 meters in 1986.
35 Max Worthington, Billings
Basketball and football standout at Montana State in 1920s; coached Bobcats' basketball team in '47-48; school's arena named after him.
36 John Petkevich, Great Falls
Won national senior men's figure skating championship in 1971.
37 Rod Lyman, Great Falls
All-state football player at Great Falls High in 1978 later became four-time Montana circuit steer-wrestling champion.
38 Bill Linderman, Red Lodge
Top all-around cowboy in 1950 and '53; won world titles in steer wrestling and bronc riding.
39 Wayne Estes, Anaconda
Utah State forward was averaging 33.7 points in 1964-65 when he stopped to help a car-accident victim and was electrocuted by a live wire.
40 Todd Foster, Great Falls
National Golden Gloves champion at 139 pounds in 1987; light welterweight on '88 Olympic team.
41 Russ Sweet, Miles City
Football and track standout at Montana placed second in 100- and 200-yard dashes at 1925 NCAA championships.
42 Leslie Spalding, Billings
Two-time state high school (1986-87) and amateur ('91-92) champion; joined LPGA tour in 1996.
43 Sarah Flock, Belgrade
Three-time all-conference basketball player at Montana State; honorable mention All-America in 1992; team's fourth-leading scorer alltime.
44 Kris Schmitt, Great Falls
Sprinter and hurdler at Montana in late 1980s holds nine school records; first Lady Griz to break 60 seconds in 400-meter hurdles.
45 Cass Bauer, Hysham
Big Sky player of the year at Montana State in 1993; played forward for WNBA's Charlotte Sting in '99.
46 Benny Reynolds, Melrose
Won top all-around cowboy title in 1961.
47 Bob O'Billovich, Butte
Two-time All-Skyline Conference quarterback and defensive back at Montana in 1959 and '60; coached CFL's Toronto Argonauts to '83 Grey Cup.
48 Arnold Gillette, Lewiston
NCAA two-mile champion at Montana in 1926.
49 Jack Gillespie, Great Falls
Montana State basketball center elected to Big Sky's 25th-anniversary team in 1988.
50 Elvis Old Bull, Crow Indian Reservation
Guard led Lodge Grass High to consecutive Class B state basketball titles in 1988, '89, '90; was state tournament MVP each year.

Another omission is Kalispell high school star and MSU Bobcat star Sam McCullum.

Sam played in the 1974 Super Bowl with the Minnesota Vikings and enjoyed a nice ten year career in Seattle & Minnesota. Sam was voted 1980 team MVP by his Seahawk teammates and had about 274 receptions and 26 touchdowns in his career.

Just stumbled across this area of the forum...

Nice to see Dick Doyle on the list. I see him at every Griz game cheering them on to victory! :lol:

why not list Zoe Nelson? to early in her career? She was featured in one of last years issues, and has broken a few million records. (Kalispell running Phenom Extrodinaire!)

Anybody who had a chance to see Elvis Old Bull play ball, knows that 50 is WAY too low on the list. He might have been the best ball player ever from MT.

Also....Krysko went to high school at Missoula Big Sky. And I would rank him higher.

Last beef.....There is no way on God's green earth that Leaf should be ahead of Dave Dickenson! (Or Krysko or Elvis for that matter)

(The above comments are the strong opinion of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Egriz as a whole)

GeauxGriz said:
Anybody who had a chance to see Elvis Old Bull play ball, knows that 50 is WAY too low on the list. He might have been the best ball player ever from MT.

Also....Krysko went to high school at Missoula Big Sky. And I would rank him higher.

Last beef.....There is no way on God's green earth that Leaf should be ahead of Dave Dickenson! (Or Krysko or Elvis for that matter)

(The above comments are the strong opinion of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Egriz as a whole)

I was too young to see Estes (anaconda) or Lewis (missoula) play, but I watched Elvis Old Bull play several times. He was great, but not my selection the best ever in MT. 8) I have heard that Estes was amazing, and I watched Krystko play dozens of times. Krystko was the best I saw, and Shannon Cate was the best female cager.

I agree with you on Krystko, and Dickenson/Leaf. I also noticed the omissions of Sam McCullam and Kirk Scrafford. Both are worthy, based on their lengthy NFL careers and Super Bowl/playoff appearences.

Jonathan Takes Enemy didn't make the list yet he was featured in a 1990/91 SI article "The Pride of Nations" or similar title.

Back