• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Pride of Montana

grizgrad99

First, I'd like to state that I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster. I've been a Griz fan for 20 years and am a proud graduate of the University of Montana. Like many of you, I was disappointed in this year's Cat-Griz game results. A 55-21 loss is a beatdown, no excuses. At the start of the season, we, as fans, dreamed of conference championships, number 1 seeds, and a national title. As often happens, our expectations were tempered by a series of gut-wrenching losses. It's acceptable to be disappointed in this season's outcome. It's good to expect more from Bobby Hauck and his staff. Unfortunately, over the last week, I've seen a disturbing trend on this website. Folks are extrapolating a Cat-Griz loss and concluding that UM is on a downhill slide, destined to fall by the wayside, a lost cause. I'm here to challenge that notion and ask a favor.

I firmly believe that the University of Montana is one of the finest academic institutions in the country. This isn't the result of some maroon-colored glasses. Here are some stats to back this up:

• UM is an R1 research instituion. This classification is granted by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education organization and indicates "Very High Research Activity." Of 4,000 degree-granting institutions in the US, only 146 have achieved this significant milestone. (Link: UM R1 Classification)
• In 2021, the University of Montana was ranked in the top 10 nationwide for research growth. According to the National Science Foundation, of 725 research institutions, UM ranked number 6 for fastest research growth. (Link: UM Research Growth)
• Did you know that UM is home to some of the top pre-medical students in the country (Link: 100th Percentile MCAT) or that 70% of UM pre-med students were admitted to medical school this year (Link: Pre-Med Acceptance)? Also of note, according to the previous article, UM's pre-med students were accepted to some of the top medical schools in the world.
• UM students are consistently among the nation's top students as measured by prestigious scholarship awards/finalist positions (Link: UM Student Wins Prestigious Truman Scholarship) (Link: Two UM Students Named Rhodes Scholarship Finalists). Additionally, UM students and graduates rank among the nation's most promising basic science researchers (Link: UM Students Win Prestigious STEM Award). UM students also routinely win Fulbright Fellowships, allowing them to travel overseas to teach and conduct research (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows) (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows 2022).
• UM students aren't just active in the classroom; they're also committed to strengthening their community. In 2022, Washington Monthly, a DC-based political magazine, ranked the University of Montana as the top university in the country for its commitment to its community and the country (Link: UM Service Recognized as Top in the Country).
• UM faculty are among the nation's leading scholars in the life sciences, forestry, atmospheric chemistry, geology, and many others.
• UM's research enterprise is impressive. Even more incredible is that undergraduate students are leading the charge and actively participating in cutting-edge research in STEM (Link: UM Student Researches Black Holes).
• UM faculty are leading the charge to help increase diversity in STEM, encouraging students from traditionally underrepresented communities to pursue research in the sciences. It's worth noting that the HHMI and the NSF are backing this project at UM to the tune of $12.5 million.

The above list represents only a tiny snapshot of the incredible things happening at the flagship institution in Montana, and I'd bet that a plurality of you didn't know about most, if not all, of these developments. That isn't on you. UM has fallen behind in controlling the narrative about the outstanding education available in Missoula. This is where you come in: Help change the narrative.

If you love Grizzly athletics–I know you do–then I'm asking you to extend that passion and excitement to our beloved university. Step up and challenge people when they proclaim Bozeman the best STEM school in the state. Let people know about the incredible research enterprise in Missoula. If you know high school students interested in biology, chemistry, medicine, political science, English, geology, journalism, social work, education, psychology, mathematics, etc., tell them about all the world-class educational opportunities that exist inside–and outside–the classroom at UM. If you don't know anyone personally, reach out to the admissions office and tell them to step up their advertising. Let them know how proud you are to be an alum of the University of Montana and that you want to encourage the next generation of Grizzlies to pursue their education and dreams at one of the finest institutions in the country in the best college town in the country.

Now, with that out of the way, let's pack that stadium to the brim on Saturday for some playoff football. Up with Montana. GO GRIZ!

It just goes to show how poor a job U of M does with advertising who they are. It also doesn't help to have head football and basketball coaches stuck in 90's.

Thanks for the positivity and information. UM needs to self advocate better. Maybe you should be head of the UM marketing! Out of curiosity is MSU an R1 research institution?

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Not only do we have incredible academics (and growing STEM programs), but UM is currently in the middle of major student infrastructure upgrades. Construction is under way on the new dining facility (steel just went up), and is expected to be completed for the 24-25 school year. The Knowles hall renovation is in progress and expected to be complete in time for next fall. And just last week at the BOR meeting in Bozeman, UM got approved for construction of a new residence hall that will be built right in front of Panther Hall. Plus they still have the new Forestry building project later down the line, and let’s not forget the Indoor Practice Facility breaks ground this Spring!

Exciting times at UM! Plus I love our new 60 second ad UM released last week. See you all at Wa-Griz Saturday! Go Griz!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=89CAQc4Sl4E

indiancoyote said:
It just goes to show how poor a job U of M does with advertising who they are. It also doesn't help to have head football and basketball coaches stuck in 90's.

And then you immediately get negative again. Jesus Christ :roll:

Nice OP. UM has been doing a better job of marketing. The coaches are not stuck in the 90's.

Too bad so many posters just want to criticize, make up stuff, and push their incorrect narratives. I guess that must make them feel better about themselves, and help cover up the flaws and lack of success in their lives.

grizgrad99 said:
First, I'd like to state that I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster. I've been a Griz fan for 20 years and am a proud graduate of the University of Montana. Like many of you, I was disappointed in this year's Cat-Griz game results. A 55-21 loss is a beatdown, no excuses. At the start of the season, we, as fans, dreamed of conference championships, number 1 seeds, and a national title. As often happens, our expectations were tempered by a series of gut-wrenching losses. It's acceptable to be disappointed in this season's outcome. It's good to expect more from Bobby Hauck and his staff. Unfortunately, over the last week, I've seen a disturbing trend on this website. Folks are extrapolating a Cat-Griz loss and concluding that UM is on a downhill slide, destined to fall by the wayside, a lost cause. I'm here to challenge that notion and ask a favor.

I firmly believe that the University of Montana is one of the finest academic institutions in the country. This isn't the result of some maroon-colored glasses. Here are some stats to back this up:

• UM is an R1 research instituion. This classification is granted by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education organization and indicates "Very High Research Activity." Of 4,000 degree-granting institutions in the US, only 146 have achieved this significant milestone. (Link: UM R1 Classification)
• In 2021, the University of Montana was ranked in the top 10 nationwide for research growth. According to the National Science Foundation, of 725 research institutions, UM ranked number 6 for fastest research growth. (Link: UM Research Growth)
• Did you know that UM is home to some of the top pre-medical students in the country (Link: 100th Percentile MCAT) or that 70% of UM pre-med students were admitted to medical school this year (Link: Pre-Med Acceptance)? Also of note, according to the previous article, UM's pre-med students were accepted to some of the top medical schools in the world.
• UM students are consistently among the nation's top students as measured by prestigious scholarship awards/finalist positions (Link: UM Student Wins Prestigious Truman Scholarship) (Link: Two UM Students Named Rhodes Scholarship Finalists). Additionally, UM students and graduates rank among the nation's most promising basic science researchers (Link: UM Students Win Prestigious STEM Award). UM students also routinely win Fulbright Fellowships, allowing them to travel overseas to teach and conduct research (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows) (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows 2022).
• UM students aren't just active in the classroom; they're also committed to strengthening their community. In 2022, Washington Monthly, a DC-based political magazine, ranked the University of Montana as the top university in the country for its commitment to its community and the country (Link: UM Service Recognized as Top in the Country).
• UM faculty are among the nation's leading scholars in the life sciences, forestry, atmospheric chemistry, geology, and many others.
• UM's research enterprise is impressive. Even more incredible is that undergraduate students are leading the charge and actively participating in cutting-edge research in STEM (Link: UM Student Researches Black Holes).
• UM faculty are leading the charge to help increase diversity in STEM, encouraging students from traditionally underrepresented communities to pursue research in the sciences. It's worth noting that the HHMI and the NSF are backing this project at UM to the tune of $12.5 million.

The above list represents only a tiny snapshot of the incredible things happening at the flagship institution in Montana, and I'd bet that a plurality of you didn't know about most, if not all, of these developments. That isn't on you. UM has fallen behind in controlling the narrative about the outstanding education available in Missoula. This is where you come in: Help change the narrative.

If you love Grizzly athletics–I know you do–then I'm asking you to extend that passion and excitement to our beloved university. Step up and challenge people when they proclaim Bozeman the best STEM school in the state. Let people know about the incredible research enterprise in Missoula. If you know high school students interested in biology, chemistry, medicine, political science, English, geology, journalism, social work, education, psychology, mathematics, etc., tell them about all the world-class educational opportunities that exist inside–and outside–the classroom at UM. If you don't know anyone personally, reach out to the admissions office and tell them to step up their advertising. Let them know how proud you are to be an alum of the University of Montana and that you want to encourage the next generation of Grizzlies to pursue their education and dreams at one of the finest institutions in the country in the best college town in the country.

Now, with that out of the way, let's pack that stadium to the brim on Saturday for some playoff football. Up with Montana. GO GRIZ!

I know you love the University of Montana; however, please look at the numbers here:

https://www-bozemandailychronicle-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/montana-state-universitys-fall-freshman-enrollment-breaks-record/article_fdd281f8-7568-54ad-8ebc-572f57e7bb47.amp.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16693280638046&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bozemandailychronicle.com%2Fnews%2Fmontana_state_university%2Fmontana-state-universitys-fall-freshman-enrollment-breaks-record%2Farticle_fdd281f8-7568-54ad-8ebc-572f57e7bb47.html

Anyone notice what percentage of the freshman class are nonresident students? Sixty four percent. That is where MSU is making money over U of M. Quit worrying about what the hell is going on 200 miles to the east and focus your recruitment nationally and internationally. You act as if you're in competition with the school that is now surrounded by Bozeangeles and the many part-time residents up the canyon around Lone Mountain. Do you think their recruiters give a shit about what is going on just off Exit 105 on I-90?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Thanks for the positivity and information. UM needs to self advocate better. Maybe you should be head of the UM marketing! Out of curiosity is MSU an R1 research institution?

MSU is R1 and has been for many years. We're always on the bubble to get kicked out because of relatively low PhDs, which has been known for years and not much happens to improve it. PhDs across various fields also count towards the R1 rank and (I think, not sure I have this right) non-STEM PhDs actually count for more. UM is killing it in this area and should promote that more. UM's VP Research is a good dude and deserves a lot of credit. UND and NDSU have piles of state $$ to help bolster PhD numbers and they, or at least UND, is in R1 now. UM is doing it with Montana's low financial support: honestly amazing.

Lots of great/factual stuff in there OP and UM seems to be doing a better job, but the message sounds like Bodnar's been reading this board and sent a PR hack with a press release to stop the bleeding, as he should. A biased caution for UM's marketing/branding/not humiliating UM: referring to UM as "the flagship" is now a common joke across Montana and using that phrase takes power from the rest of the message. It's old, tired and doesn't pass the laugh test and UM deserves better. MSU is now using it and it sound equally stupid. Lee Enterprises' UM journalism grads overused that for 30+ years. UM is "on the up" and has plenty to brag about without a worn out phrase from 35 years ago.

It’s all good that the university is building all these new facilities, $100 million I’ve heard. But new buildings do not address curriculum or staff salaries or the others areas that would put us back onto the road to being the desired choice for incoming students. MSU is building new facilities to accommodate their growth. We seem to be building new facilities in the hope that we can attract new students. Our recent growth in students has been minimal while MSU is growing at a much faster pace.
My fervent hope is that Bodner can reverse the trend but it’s not going to be easy.

EverettGriz said:
POTY

And 99, please do us all a favor and continue posting. :thumb:

Seconded. I got super hyped up reading the OP. I think it’s because I root for UM first; the successes/failures of the athletic programs are secondary. I still think someone switched the scantrons to let me in all those years ago as someone who could barely read.

grizgrad99 said:

Outstanding post!

grizgrad99 said:

Thanks for sharing this, great post, I’m excited for the future of our school

grizgrad99 said:

Thanks for sharing this, great post, I’m excited for the future of our school

Back