• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Transfer Portal - 45 Day Window

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Interesting article coming out of Fargo as to the timing of some of their players entering the portal

Bison coach Matt Entz: Nothing wrong with NDSU football program

The transfer of three Bison players with the FCS playoffs on deck, although surprising, is the product of the 45-day portal window.

FARGO — North Dakota State head football coach Matt Entz admits to being “extremely surprised” when he found out three of his players were putting their names into the transfer portal with the FCS playoffs in full force. It’s also the new state of college football.

Cornerback Marques Sigle, running back Dom Gonnella and wide receiver DJ Hart — all of whom had a significant role in NDSU’s 9-2 season and No. 3 playoff seed — left the team with the 45-day portal window opening on Monday.

“I think a lot of people on the team were surprised,” Entz said Tuesday, “but at this time all I can worry about are the guys that are here. I’m excited about the guys that are here and the opportunity that is ahead of them.”

Entz said a staff meeting he had with his assistants on Monday addressed the issue and how to best get in front of it.

“Probably just have to be matter of fact and just ask kids more often,” he said. “We just can’t ask how they’re doing, just try to be more point blank with them.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In the bigger picture, the revised portal window where the first day is one day after the FCS playoff field is announced means FCS coaches across the country may come to dread that day in the coming years. Players declaring their intent now instead of waiting for after the season may have more chances of getting a scholarship elsewhere.

“I’m sure there has been someone behind the scenes that has tried to influence these guys other than coaches from NDSU,” Entz said. “I’m not going to sit here and say our kids are tampered with but I’m not going to say they’re not tampered with. We have a ton of records of our players being contacted by other institutions.”

Entz said there is nothing wrong with his program and that the Bison are doing the same things they always have in earning nine national championships in the last 11 seasons. What’s changed, he said, is the surroundings of college football like the transfer portal and name, image, likeness opportunities.

Entz said he got two emails on Monday basically stating that former Bison head coaches Craig Bohl and Chris Klieman never lost players in the same manner. Bohl and Klieman, when at NDSU, never had to deal with the transfer portal, either.

“We’ve lost plenty of kids all throughout the years,” Entz said. “Now it’s just advertised at a different level. I think the things that have changed are the things that are outside of our control. I don’t think NDSU is immune to what’s going on.”

That was a topic at the annual Missouri Valley Football Conference coaches meeting Monday. Britton Pascoe, a Bison redshirt freshman cornerback who had yet to play, also announced his entry into the portal Monday.

“There weren’t any teams in the league that were immune to this,” Entz said. “I don’t think it’s good for our level of football.”

Since the inception of the transfer portal in the last three years, Entz said there have been over 400 players who have transferred from FCS to FBS. Asked if the starting date of the 45-day window should change, Entz said he didn’t know.

ADVERTISEMENT

“When is a good time?” Entz said. “I don’t know if there is such a good time. It’s one of those things that we’re all going to have to deal with, not just NDSU but every program in the country so our best approach is to try and minimize it as best we can and try to get kids that want to be here and see the value of being here.”

It appears NDSU will rely on its current rotation in replacing the three players. The Bison have rotated four players at the two cornerback spots all season, which will be reduced to three with Jayden Price, Courtney Eubanks and Destin Talbert. Same at wide receiver where Zach Mathis, Braylon Henderson, Jake Lippe, Raja Nelson and lately Eli Green have taken turns.

Gonnella was around the No. 3 back most of the year behind Kobe Johnson and TaMerik Williams.

“We still think we have plenty of depth,” Entz said. “That’s one of the things we’ve done a good job with is to create depth in our program.”

I truly don't understand going into the portal now, when you are contributing and going into the playoff. I find that to be very selfish and short-sighted. In business, I would never hire or rely on someone like that. Kids today. More time for video games and music, with less practice, I guess.

Thx for calling that to our attention.

There were 192 FCS players who entered the portal Monday, the first day it was open. Hundreds more will follow. This is not good for college football.

mthoopsfan said:
I truly don't understand going into the portal now, when you are contributing and going into the playoff. I find that to be very selfish and short-sighted. In business, I would never hire or rely on someone like that. Kids today. More time for video games and music, with less practice, I guess.

I do understand – in a way – and also label it as self-serving, to use a "softer" term. Apparently, their fear of a "value-reducing" injury is greater than their commitment to the team and program. Not someone I would want to rely on for anything important.
I will concede – with absolutely NO information to back it – that it suggests some deeper problem in the program.

HookedonGriz said:
There were 192 FCS players who entered the portal Monday, the first day it was open. Hundreds more will follow. This is not good for college football.

See what you’re saying but it’s good for the players. Which I can see being good for college football. Gonna lose guys. But have the ability now to get guys.

IdaGriz01 said:
mthoopsfan said:

I do understand – in a way – and also label it as self-serving, to use a "softer" term. Apparently, their fear of a "value-reducing" injury is greater than their commitment to the team and program. Not someone I would want to rely on for anything important.
I will concede – with absolutely NO information to back it – that it suggests some deeper problem in the program.

Well getting another gig lined up, getting accepted by that school, getting relocated and ready for classes to start isn’t a 2-3 day effort. I would say it’s more a timing thing than anything else. And entering the portal “later” means missed opportunities potentially.

ilovethecats said:
HookedonGriz said:

See what you’re saying but it’s good for the players. Which I can see being good for college football. Gonna lose guys. But have the ability now to get guys.

I’ve had to come to grips with it as well. Coaches no longer should be given 5 years to “prove” themselves. If they’re that good they can rebuild in 1-2 years with the way the portal works now.

So the FCS date to enter the portal is evidently the day after the playoffs are set? In other words these kids are not held to the same time as the FBS schools?

https://www-espn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34967085/college-football-new-transfer-portal-windows-explained?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&platform=amp&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16692511586126&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fcollege-football%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F34967085%2Fcollege-football-new-transfer-portal-windows-explained

ilovethecats said:
HookedonGriz said:

Can we get them in time for the playoffs?

AZGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:

I’ve had to come to grips with it as well. Coaches no longer should be given 5 years to “prove” themselves. If they’re that good they can rebuild in 1-2 years with the way the portal works now.

So you think coaches can rebuild culture in 1-2 years? That's pretty funny.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

I refuse to argue; here's the reality:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35087951/kansas-rewards-lance-leipold-contract-extension-29

Miles, who has a National Championship on his resume, was given two years.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Good coaches (see Eck, Idaho et al) can do it in one.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

Good coaches (see Eck, Idaho et al) can do it in one.

Sure hard to argue with this one. He created a monster out of a dumpster fire in one short year. Going to be hard for us to ever get someone like Eck because he isn’t Hauck. Apparently he’s the only person that can save this program. Eventually we will though and people will wonder why we didn’t get the new person sooner.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
mthoopsfan said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35087951/kansas-rewards-lance-leipold-contract-extension-29

We have great examples of that in the Big Sky. Idaho is certainly one. But Troy Taylor at Sac. State took a middle-of-the pack conference team in 2018, and immediately won the conference. He held his team out of play during the Covid years, but came back in 2021 and 2022 and won two more conference championships. And he accomplished this with a high school type stadium, and a fan base of about 4000/game.

So, we give Hauck, with the best facilities in all of FCS football, a huge fan base, 23,000 fans on Saturdays, an open checkbook and an endless time frame, and he can achieve no better than a third-place finish in the conference, and trending down (6th place in 2022) after 5 years on the job. Something is wrong with this picture.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

I know you're going to just blow this article off, but you out of all people ought to have more than a little understanding about servant leadership, restorative justice and practices. The O'Gorman field referenced in the article in Sioux Falls? Think of what all our relatives who attended Flandreau experienced on that field (payback came bouncy ball time!)

https://www-seattletimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/how-uw-coach-kalen-deboer-forged-a-championship-blueprint-in-sioux-falls-sd/?amp=1&amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16693003572444&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattletimes.com%2Fsports%2Fuw-husky-football%2Fhow-uw-coach-kalen-deboer-forged-a-championship-blueprint-in-sioux-falls-sd%2F

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
mthoopsfan said:

I know you're going to just blow this article off, but you out of all people ought to have more than a little understanding about servant leadership, restorative justice and practices. The O'Gorman field referenced in the article in Sioux Falls? Think of what all our relatives who attended Flandreau experienced on that field (payback came bouncy ball time!)

https://www-seattletimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/how-uw-coach-kalen-deboer-forged-a-championship-blueprint-in-sioux-falls-sd/?amp=1&amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16693003572444&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattletimes.com%2Fsports%2Fuw-husky-football%2Fhow-uw-coach-kalen-deboer-forged-a-championship-blueprint-in-sioux-falls-sd%2F

Great read and thank you for sharing it. USF is all about servant leadership. A very good educational institution. Nothing surprises me, but a few things really stuck out. How a head coach should interact with the press. How a head coach evaluates deficiencies after a tough loss. How a head coach is humble and makes it about the players - not them or their coaching abilities. Watch the end of the UW win over Oregon. Listen to what he says after the game. He is an impressive leader and will really turn Washington around. (Already has in many ways).

RoseyMustGo said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

We have great examples of that in the Big Sky. Idaho is certainly one. But Troy Taylor at Sac. State took a middle-of-the pack conference team in 2018, and immediately won the conference. He held his team out of play during the Covid years, but came back in 2021 and 2022 and won two more conference championships. And he accomplished this with a high school type stadium, and a fan base of about 4000/game.

So, we give Hauck, with the best facilities in all of FCS football, a huge fan base, 23,000 fans on Saturdays, an open checkbook and an endless time frame, and he can achieve no better than a third-place finish in the conference, and trending down (6th place in 2022) after 5 years on the job. Something is wrong with this picture.

Another terrific example.

AZGrizFan said:
RoseyMustGo said:

How many playoff games has Sac St won? Just curious? Did they go deeper than the Griz the last 2 years?

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

How many playoff games has Sac St won? Just curious? Did they go deeper than the Griz the last 2 years?

Did he or did he not turn the program around in ONE year? His staff? Know anything about them? Just like Morrell. Only one person he'd leave Butte, America to coach WITH. Operative word: WITH.

Loyalty does not only apply to those above you; the best leaders take care of their people and those who can do nothing for them. Outside of law, we ordinarily refer to the ones who suck up to their boss as nothing more than a brown nose.

RoseyMustGo said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Just to inform everyone, sacs fan support is up with its wins, and they averaged 15k per game this year. So the narrative that they have no fans is patently false at this point.

Back