• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Honest Look At Grizzly Athletics

RoseyMustGo

Through all of the back and forth regarding the state of our football program.... whether changes should be made with the coaching staff etc., it may be time to take a look at the state of all three of our major sports programs...... football, basketball, and ladies basketball.

If you are honest, and not hiding behind the supportive Griz fan, who refuses to criticize anything about our teams, it should be apparent how low our three programs have fallen from previous days of glory.

We have been discussing our football program to death. But take an objective look at our basketball program the past few years. We used to finish either 1st or 2nd in the conference every year, with regular NCAA tournament games. Does any reasonable basketball fan see a light at the end of the tunnel for our current direction in men's basketball? Not me. Our team style of play is boring, and our recruiting and developing players is lacking. Out Lady Griz program under Selvig dominated the Big Sky for countless years. It is a shell of itself now.

Who is ultimately responsible for the success of these programs? Kent Haslam. Yet nobody seems to criticize him or hold him accountable. The buck should stop with him. Comments?

The men's team had what, a down year. Maybe two? I think the women's team is on the rise and we'll have some thrilling battles between your women's team and ours in the upcoming years.

Mens and women’s basketball are both in very good shape. The only problem was taking forever to get rid of the previous women’s coach. Haslam is likely leaving in the near future for greener pastures. OC and line coaches need to go. Younger coaches with energy and recruiting prowess need to be brought in. Probably at the DC level as well. Hoping that Haslam and BH have been planning ahead to bring in the next head coach when BH hangs it up. Sac State would be a great place to start mining the next HC. BH is going nowhere. Complaining about it won’t change a thing. Plenty of former players and current are wanting the changes. Anyone who says differently isn’t very close to the program. I don’t care how much money they give, who they tailgate with or the status they have anointed themselves with. There is noise. Burying one’s head in the sand doesn’t change that. The noise is healthy and change needs to happen

RoseyMustGo said:
Through all of the back and forth regarding the state of our football program.... whether changes should be made with the coaching staff etc., it may be time to take a look at the state of all three of our major sports programs...... football, basketball, and ladies basketball.

If you are honest, and not hiding behind the supportive Griz fan, who refuses to criticize anything about our teams, it should be apparent how low our three programs have fallen from previous days of glory.

We have been discussing our football program to death. But take an objective look at our basketball program the past few years. We used to finish either 1st or 2nd in the conference every year, with regular NCAA tournament games. Does any reasonable basketball fan see a light at the end of the tunnel for our current direction in men's basketball? Not me. Our team style of play is boring, and our recruiting and developing players is lacking. Out Lady Griz program under Selvig dominated the Big Sky for countless years. It is a shell of itself now.

Who is ultimately responsible for the success of these programs? Kent Haslam. Yet nobody seems to criticize him or hold him accountable. The buck should stop with him. Comments?

Now you are dragging Travis into this? 103-46 Big Sky Record. 162-101 overall. 3 Big Sky regular season champioships and 2 NCAA berths. If the Griz let Travis go that job would not be attractive to many up and coming coaches because who the hell would take that job with those unrealistic expectations? Lady Griz coach is in his second year.

My hope would be that Bobby will realize he needs to bring in younger coaches with modern coaching philosophies. It’s fine to tour the 500 million years of coaching experience. But to many it just comes off as staying in the past.

Will Bobby realize this and fire his good buddies? I’m not optimistic about that happening which is a shame because I do like Bobby as the head coach of this program. I like his arrogance and I like how much Montana football means to him. He gets the importance of it to Montanans. Being too loyal to his buddies may end up dragging him down unfortunately. Rosey is a nightmare and apparently can’t develop or attract QB talent to the best facilities and fan base in FCS. That’s a major issue.

Copper Griz said:
Mens and women’s basketball are both in very good shape. The only problem was taking forever to get rid of the previous women’s coach. Haslam is likely leaving in the near future for greener pastures. OC and line coaches need to go. Younger coaches with energy and recruiting prowess need to be brought in. Probably at the DC level as well. Hoping that Haslam and BH have been planning ahead to bring in the next head coach when BH hangs it up. Sac State would be a great place to start mining the next HC. BH is going nowhere. Complaining about it won’t change a thing. Plenty of former players and current are wanting the changes. Anyone who says differently isn’t very close to the program. I don’t care how much money they give, who they tailgate with or the status they have anointed themselves with. There is noise. Burying one’s head in the sand doesn’t change that. The noise is healthy and change needs to happen
Generally, Haslam has done a good job and the three head coaches are excellent. Winning teams must have talented players, thus I wonder about the recruiting budgets for each program given the financial state of affairs at the university? Do our three head coaches have the funds to successfully recruit talented players to be competitive?

I no longer have a dog in the fight and my passion for my home state is rapidly waning. I'm not tired, just reinvigorated as Teddy used to say about his annual journey to North Dakota and eastern Montana. It's stagnant again. Complacent and not moving forward. I used to get tired of the chest beating over facilities. Here's the reality:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-07-12/25-biggest-fcs-football-stadiums-country

I would like to see average game day attendance numbers along with the size of those stadiums. What good is capacity, if only 3-5,000 fans attend the games? I rarely see packed stadiums for even great matchups in the Big Sky and other FCS conferences. Other than the Montana schools, who fill or get close to capacity all season long. Are you saying, concentrate on athletics rather than facilities going forward? That I can agree with, given where the university currently sits with facilities.

Horribilis said:
I would like to see average game day attendance numbers along with the size of those stadiums. What good is capacity, if only 3-5,000 fans attend the games? I rarely see packed stadiums for even great matchups in the Big Sky and other FCS conferences. Other than the Montana schools, who fill or get close to capacity all season long. Are you saying, concentrate on athletics rather than facilities going forward? That I can agree with, given where the university currently sits with facilities.

Just one HBCU school. Not going to post any of the five ivies in the top ten, because one would think an NAIA level athletic conference ought not be included in with the FCS data.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Horribilis said:

Just one HBCU school. Not going to post any of the five ivies in the top ten, because one would think an NAIA level athletic conference ought not be included in with the FCS data.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/10/jackson-state-keeps-producing-jaw-dropping-attendance-under-coach-prime/

Copper Griz said:

There is virtually no "noise" among the top boosters, donors and QB Club, about Hauck. You obviously aren't very close to the program. The QB Club raised $100,000 quickly last year at this time. They just kicked off another goal to raise $100,000 quickly. Some donors have made fairly large funds that can be matched. Perhaps it would be better to wait to discuss and assess at the end of the season. I don't know much about the OC, but both line coaches are very good.

mthoopsfan said:
Copper Griz said:

There is virtually no "noise" among the top boosters, donors and QB Club, about Hauck. You obviously aren't very close to the program. The QB Club raised $100,000 quickly last year at this time. They just kicked off another goal to raise $100,000 quickly. Some donors have made fairly large funds that can be matched. Perhaps it would be better to wait to discuss and assess at the end of the season. I don't know much about the OC, but both line coaches are very good.

So are you of the opinion that zero recruiting or coaching changes need to be made?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
mthoopsfan said:

So are you of the opinion that zero recruiting or coaching changes need to be made?

I don't believe I addressed those topics. Maybe after the season. I'm into the playoffs now. Are you saying that you want to fire Hauck and other coaches, and address recruiting, now, instead of enjoying the preparation for and excitement of a home playoff game? If all you want is for everything to be unrealistically perfect, perhaps you should folow something other than sports. Maybe the Ukraine war. Ha. 50% of teams win; 50% of teams lose. You seem to think everyone coach needs to win. 100% of its games.

mthoopsfan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

I don't believe I addressed those topics. Maybe after the season. I'm into the playoffs now. Are you saying that you want to fire Hauck and other coaches, and address recruiting, now, instead of enjoying the preparation for and excitement of a home playoff game? If all you want is for everything to be unrealistically perfect, perhaps you should folow something other than sports. Maybe the Ukraine war. Ha. 50% of teams win; 50% of teams lose. You seem to think everyone coach needs to win. 100% of its games.

Obviously nothing is happening until the season is over, if at all, why can't you just answer the question?

Fahque said:
mthoopsfan said:

Obviously nothing is happening until the season is over, if at all, why can't you just answer the question?

Because I know enough about football and am smart enough to know that not one single person posting on egriz, has enough information and is qualified to make those assessments. You guys can spew your nonsense, say stupid things, and make fools of yourselves, but I'm not.

mthoopsfan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

I’m not in the camp that wants hauck gone

mthoopsfan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

You seem to think everyone coach needs to win. 100% of its games.

I would settle for beating a team with a winning record, they have a chance to do that this weekend. I’ll be cheering as always. I obviously know that changes, if made, would not be made until after the season. My question still stands. What is your opinion on the matter? Does our recruiting strategy need revised? Do coaching changes need made, and if so which ones? You have said you’re close to the coaches and the program, well, assess the health of the program then.

It isn't about the coaches. The coaches are fine but this Athletic Department reaks of complacency. It's just excuses out of them. "These are the reasons we can't do this or that". The WHOLE Department needs NEW DAMN leadership. It's as stale as an old fart. The coaches, players, everything... feeds off the energy in the department (just look at the neighbors) and our Athetic Director is not personable or exciting at all. Him leaving would be the greatest thing to happen to Griz athletics in a long while.

Fahque said:
mthoopsfan said:

Why is it so crazy to wait and see what happens in the playoffs before making decisions on who needs to be fired?

uofmman1122 said:
Fahque said:
Why is it so crazy to wait and see what happens in the playoffs before making decisions on who needs to be fired?

:clap: :clap:
It would be hilariously awesome if we went on a run.

Back