• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Black Monday

Griz til I die

DONOR
For the 7 teams from the Big Sky that weren’t lucky enough to make it to the playoffs, they will now go into the off-season tomorrow. As is the case every year, coaches will get fired. How many will we see get fired from the Big Sky? Also let’s refrain from all the Bobby hate here as we’ve got plenty of other threads we can discuss that on. No need to drag that into this one! For every other team, here’s who I think should/will go:

Ed McCaffrey (UNC): I know he’s only 2 years in, but this has been a failed experiment for UNC. They got mega culture problems, and the guy is just flat selfish and refuses to put his team in the best situations to win. Lucky for UNC, his son Dylan graduates and he’s out of kids so maybe they can right the ship. He does appear to be a good recruiter, especially in the transfer portal, but it hasn’t mattered cause there just doesn’t seem to be any buy-in from his guys.

Bruce Barnum (PSU): Don’t get me wrong, Barney has been an incredible ambassador for a really tough PSU program and all their challenges, but he’s just not getting it done. They haven’t been anywhere close to what they were in Barneys first season in 2015 and they just seem to be stuck in neutral. I seem to remember hearing his contract was up this year and with a new AD who took over in the Spring, if there were a time to make a change, now would be that time. Definitely doesn’t help his case losing to Cal Poly to close the season.

Chris Ball (NAU): He’s probably not gonna get fired but I think he should. They were really close in a lot of games, but just flat choked against UND, msu, and Weber in all 3 games, all of which were at home. Good on them for beating Sam Houston on the road but SHSU wasn’t very good this year and outside of that game they were terrible on the road this year. Plus with how highly touted their recruiting classes are, it doesn’t seem to be translating into success on the field. They claim to have the top recruiting class in the Big Sky every year and what has it got them? They haven’t even come close to sniffing the playoffs.

Aaron Best (EWU): This clown absolutely deserves to be fired! He’s been riding off the success of Baldwins recruits for the last 4 seasons, and it finally caught up to him this year! Yes they had a tough schedule, but a home loss to PSU along with 1 score victories over Cal Poly and Tennessee State is inexcusable. Congrats on beating UNC yesterday to finish 3-8, but Jesus their defense is utter worldly bad and he no longer has a Payton award QB to bail his ass out. We’ll see if Eastern has the balls to let him go, my guess is they don’t and that’s totally fine by me as it’ll continue to be a free win on the schedule.

These are the 4 likeliest candidates. Idk if any of them will get the boot, but it’ll be interesting to see. It’ll also be interesting to see if Troy Taylor or Vigen get picked off by a bigger program. That likely won’t be for a few weeks though until after their playoff runs are over. Thoughts????

It weird to say, but if Bobby wants to name a new OC that fits his mold of coach, Barney wouldn’t be a bad hire. There are much better options out there, but I wouldn’t be pissed. The interviews he gives alone would be worth whatever cost he brings. The entertainment value alone is what makes him intriguing. Record aside, the guy is a gd damn national treasure.

I love Barnum, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't cut....then again, PSU doesn't give two shits about their program, so maybe he stays just out of administrative apathy.

PDXGrizzly said:
It weird to say, but if Bobby wants to name a new OC that fits his mold of coach, Barney wouldn’t be a bad hire. There are much better options out there, but I wouldn’t be pissed. The interviews he gives alone would be worth whatever cost he brings. The entertainment value alone is what makes him intriguing. Record aside, the guy is a gd damn national treasure.

and his son is a GRIZ

The scant bit of information we have in Portland is that Barnum has another year on his contract.

The new AD has enough experience that I would think Barnum should have one foot out the door. But there’s no sense of urgency, no news. It’s not just the administration.

Back