• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Yes The Griz Do …

IdaGriz01

deserve a bid. Could have put this on any of several threads, but decided it didn’t quite fit.

As the committee chair said, it came down to comparisons among the (7-4) bubble teams. The baseline for the Griz is that they lost to four teams who made the playoffs, two of whom got seeds. Those Big Sky teams got bids because three of them were/are ranked in the top-10 and the other in the top-25.

Let’s look at some of the competition (all 7-4 except final one):
Austin Peay with two FBS losses. Kiss of death: Blown out (49-20) by unranked Central Arkansas (5-6).
Abilene Christian with one FBS loss. Kiss of death: two losses to unranked Stephen F. Austin (6-5).
North Carolina A&T* with one FBS loss. Kiss of death: Bad loss (38-17) to never-ranked Gardner-Webb (6-5).
Rhode Island with one FBS loss. Kiss of death: None obvious, but low Sagarin ranking (162 versus 69 for Griz).
Youngstown State with one FBS loss. Kiss of death: Late loss to unranked Missouri State (5-6)
UT-Martin with two FBS losses: Kisses of death: Losses to Missouri State (5-6) and Kennesaw State (5-6).
Chattanooga with one FBS loss. Kiss of death: Late loss to never-ranked Western Carolina (6-5).
Mercer with one FBS loss. Kiss of death: Loss to Chattanooga (probably).
Florida A&M (9-2)* with one FBS loss. Kiss of death: Lost badly to Jackson State. Abysmal SOS (244 of 262).
* Wins included a D-II or NAIA opponent.

FWIW: I had this list at the end of yesterday. Except for the (7-4) teams that did get bids, I was most worried about Rhode Island. Besides the FBS game, their losses were all to contenders ... although not ranked nearly as high as what the Griz faced.

It just dawned on me that Delaware dodged a bullet to get a bid at (7-4). Yes, they "upset" Navy ... but Navy isn't very good this year. Moreover, the Blue Hens closed the season with two straight losses, and the last one was to a not-very-good Villanova (6-5) team. That could have easily been their "kiss of death."

The issue is that people think the list of things they consider includes calling derek and asking what he thinks. The real bitch if anyone has one is the cats seed is lower than it should be and they rematch Weber and not Idaho which it absolutely should have been.

IdaGriz went a lot further in depth than I was going to, much appreciated. I was going to post something similar and ask all of the naysayers.... of all teams on the bubble, who would you have put in ahead of the Griz and why? The old "the Griz don’t deserve it" argument is not good enough. Explain in depth why you would replace the Griz with a different team or stop bitching and enjoy (at least) one more game!

Go Griz!

Griz2k said:
IdaGriz went a lot further in depth than I was going to, much appreciated. I was going to post something similar and ask all of the naysayers.... of all teams on the bubble, who would you have put in ahead of the Griz and why? The old "the Griz don’t deserve it" argument is not good enough. Explain in depth why you would replace the Griz with a different team or stop bitching and enjoy (at least) one more game!

Go Griz!
Thought I'd bump this so people could see my takes on how the Griz beat out certain other (7-4) teams. The notion of a "kiss of death" does seem to be a valid premise. Chattanooga seems to be prime example ... they barely hung on with a weak Western Carolina (6-5) team and then lost the 4th quarter.

Griz2k said:

Go Griz!

For me, it's less about the Griz and what they've accomplished (not much) and more about the overall quality of a division where any team with ZERO QUALITY WINS can make the playoffs AND host a game. This is a problem that is only going to get worse.

In EVERY respect, this game is an absolute gift!! Thank the teams of 20 years ago that provided the legacy for the Griz to still be relevant.

Butte5518 said:
In EVERY respect, this game is an absolute gift!! Thank the teams of 20 years ago that provided the legacy for the Griz to still be relevant.

It wasn't a gift at all. Earned. Which other 7-4 team lost only to 4 playoff teams, 2 seeds, 3 top. 10, and 1 top 20? You can say crap all you want, but you will still be dead wrong.

Griz2k said:

Go Griz!

Davis.

mthoopsfan said:
Butte5518 said:

It wasn't a gift at all. Earned. Which other 7-4 team lost only to 4 playoff teams, 2 seeds, 3 top. 10, and 1 top 20? You can say crap all you want, but you will still be dead wrong.

7 wins IS earned. The players did that. I think the main argument here is that the history and tradition that the Griz bring to the table gives extra validity. When it comes down to it on the bubble, often times tradition can push you over the edge. Even if the influence was small. The straw that broke the camel’s back, so to speak.

This is another reason the Griz deserved to be in the playoffs. The Committee said it wants the best teams.

SDS - 63
NDSU - 69
SS - 71
Montana - 88

The Committee also uses the SRS. UM is 19th in that system, ahead of all of those bubble teams.

Some of you can say nonsense all you want about UM not deserving to be in the playoffs, but you would be wrong under every single criteria used by the committee. Feel free to keep showing your lack of knowledge, if not downright stupidity.

Butte5518 said:
2002, I'm still trying to forget the finish of that season. A 10-0 start before a loss to EWU, then the abysmal performance by Edwards in the Brawl at home with Neill sitting on the bench to end the streak. The playoff loss to McNeese, Glenn losing 3 of 4 as he was headed out the door.

bhumble said:
Griz2k said:

Go Griz!

Davis.

Davis is ranked below UM in both the Sagarin and SRS. These systems take into account SOS. Those systems are objective and based on data.

PDXGrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

7 wins IS earned. The players did that. I think the main argument here is that the history and tradition that the Griz bring to the table gives extra validity. When it comes down to it on the bubble, often times tradition can push you over the edge. Even if the influence was small. The straw that broke the camel’s back, so to speak.

Look at the SRS, which is used by the Committee, as well as ratings services like Sagarin.

bhumble said:
Griz2k said:

Go Griz!

Davis.

With only 6 wins? Nope.

mthoopsfan said:
bhumble said:

Davis is ranked below UM in both the Sagarin and SRS. These systems take into account SOS. Those systems are objective and based on data.

So is the fact that they finished higher than UM in the BSC.

Back