• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Week 5 replay: Griz vs Idaho State

3-7-77 said:
Griz double pass for a TD did make the national highlights, though.

with the number of former HS QB's on the roster, it's surprising they haven't used it before this year. Now twice for TD's.

Didn't get to watch it live, so I thought I'd check it out.

What a weird 4th quarter. Johnson went to put the ball in both hands to extend to the pylon, and the defender made an awesome play holding his left arm back so he couldn't. Terrible final pass by Brown, too.

Although after actually seeing what happened, I'm a lot less worried than I was when I first heard the final score. Very well should've been a 35-6 final score. Good learning experience for the team, though.

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:
Griz double pass for a TD did make the national highlights, though.

with the number of former HS QB's on the roster, it's surprising they haven't used it before this year. Now twice for TD's.
Yeah, when Marty mentioned that Roberts was the best non QB passer, I thought of Rostad, I know Graves played QB at Eureka, and there might be a couple more that people who know Montana HS better would like to see in the conversation. (Great sentence, I know, sorry)

SaskGriz said:
kemajic said:
Wide open, a likely TD.
I don't think you guys are talking about the same play.
I'm talking about the 4th down play that Grossman would've picked up easily.

He had 3 or 4 guys converging on him, so I doubt it would've been a touchdown, though.

I just want to point out that the Griz held ISU to two FG's and about 215 total yards through 51 minutes of the game, at which time KB came in. I just don't get all the Chicken Littles saying we should be ranked behind Sac/MSU, that we're in a freefall, etc. It was 9 minutes of back-ups (not all) getting some playing time, including (God help us) KB who threw that AWFUL pass over Grossman's head, yikes. That was what we expected and have seen out of our defense all year, save two 4th quarter drives against some backups....not to mention the injuries/Cotton debacle.

uofmman1122 said:
Didn't get to watch it live, so I thought I'd check it out.

What a weird 4th quarter. Johnson went to put the ball in both hands to extend to the pylon, and the defender made an awesome play holding his left arm back so he couldn't. Terrible final pass by Brown, too.

Although after actually seeing what happened, I'm a lot less worried than I was when I first heard the final score. Very well should've been a 35-6 final score. Good learning experience for the team, though.
Shhhh, we’re trying to let the pundits over on boobscat nation and vandyland think we’re overrated and stink……that way they can have all the warm and fuzzies heading into their games with us

#15 Fan said:
I just want to point out that the Griz held ISU to two FG's and about 215 total yards through 51 minutes of the game, at which time KB came in. I just don't get all the Chicken Littles saying we should be ranked behind Sac/MSU, that we're in a freefall, etc. It was 9 minutes of back-ups (not all) getting some playing time, including (God help us) KB who threw that AWFUL pass over Grossman's head, yikes. That was what we expected and have seen out of our defense all year, save two 4th quarter drives against some backups....not to mention the injuries/Cotton debacle.
I thought this too, but checking again the only backups I saw were KB on offense and Flink and Janacaro on defense, at least on the last ISU drive.

uofmman1122 said:
#15 Fan said:
I thought this too, but checking again the only backups I saw were KB on offense and Flink and Janacaro on defense, at least on the last ISU drive.
And Janacaro actually started that game in place of Hill.

uofmman1122 said:
#15 Fan said:

There were some backup D-linemen in as well…Nuce for sure, Hustedt, Edwards..but it looked like all the DB’s were 1st string.

And I watched the last 8 minutes again. That first TD throw/catch by ISU in the 4th quarter was an absolute prayer. I’m guessing that play probably isn’t successful 3 times out of 100.

And Kris Brown got his time in the barrel with ALL FIRST STRINGERS and looked good handing off, but as soon as he had to pass the ball and get a first down (game was over if he got it), he misses his wide open TE by a country mile. The other thing i noticed was, if you’re trying to run the clock down, WTF was Brown doing hiking the ball with 18-19 seconds left on the play clock? They were running the ball, yet could have run another full minute off the clock and didn’t.

And then Griz get ISU 3rd & 10 at the 39 and FOUR of the five DB’s are BEHIND the 10-yard line to gain. Janacaro gets run right by and ultimately makes the tackle after Robby whiffs…then Robby misses a huge tackle AGAIN on the play down to the 1 yard line. Sooooo much overpursuit by the DB’s it’s just crazy to watch. Griz need to get THAT fixed because better teams will exploit the fuck out of that…

Just wondering WHO decided to have KB throw the ball? Got a nice lead, run, run, run. Eat the clock. But NO! Lets stop the clock with an incomplete pass, and lets give ISU a shot at an interception. Maybe ISUs staff called for a passing strategy. Plenty, and I mean PLENTY of experience before this game that shows KBs passing is awful. Might just as well just concede the down. No chance of a turnover in that scenario.

3-7-77 said:
Just wondering WHO decided to have KB throw the ball? Got a nice lead, run, run, run. Eat the clock. But NO! Lets stop the clock with an incomplete pass, and lets give ISU a shot at an interception. Maybe ISUs staff called for a passing strategy. Plenty, and I mean PLENTY of experience before this game that shows KBs passing is awful. Might just as well just concede the down. No chance of a turnover in that scenario.

That too. If they hadn’t passed the ball, and if they’d used all the play clock, the 2nd ISU TD never happens. Instead, we’re sitting here scratching our heads as to the “strategy” employed.

Latest posts

Back