• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Upset Guesses (Oct 9)

What upsets are likely?

• #16 W&M (4-1) vs #6 Delaware (5-0)

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • #20 Missouri St (2-3) vs #17 SIU (3-2)

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Alabama St (3-2) vs #8 Jackson St (4-0)

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • W. Carolina (3-2) at #12 Mercer (4-1)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • YSU (2-2) vs #22 North Dakota (3-2)

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Towson (2-3) vs # 14 Elon (4-1)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • SFA (2-3) vs Abilene Christian (4-1)

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

Quite a few ranked teams have byes this week. However, there are still enough good matchups to pick from, including two between ranked teams. (Recall that I do not include Big Sky games.) Two choices are allowed and you can change your vote(s) later if you want to.

Official verification: Bobcats suck!

Commentary
Delaware at W&M has to be the marquee matchup, since it involves a top-10 team. The Tribe lost to now-ranked Elon by only 4 points, or this would be a match between two undefeated teams. And let’s not forget that they both beat FBS opponents. Admittedly, crappy FBS teams, but still … This should be a barn-burner.

Southern Illinois at Missouri State, our other ranked vs ranked game, has a rather peculiar backstory … two teams going in opposite directions. The Salukis lost their two opening games … both good FCS opponents. Then they upset FBS Northwestern and have won two FCS games since. Missouri State began the season on fire, beating two FCS opponents (one of them ranked), and then throwing a scare into a good Arkansas team. But after losing there, they’ve since lost two more in a row.. The Bears will be in absolute desperation mode. If they can channel that in a home game, an “upset” won’t be out of reach.

Jackson State at Alabama State looks less like a mismatch when you recall that one of A-State’s losses was to UCLA. Other than that, they have not played a tough schedule … but neither has Jackson State (opponents combined record: 4-15). Not a highly likely upset, but if the Tigers come in flat, it could happen.

Although Western Carolina is not ranked, Mercer had better watch out. The Catamounts have crushed their lesser opponents, and have lost only to an FBS opponent and ranked Samford. Mercer looks strong (they lost only at Auburn), but WC can really put up the points (167 in their three wins).

North Dakota at Youngstown State is made more interesting by the possibility of a Hawk letdown after their big win over Missouri State. And the Penguins are no pushover, especially at home. Their two losses were to a very good Kentucky team and #1 NDSU. Plus, they’ll be desperate … an 0-2 conference record would really put them behind the eight-ball.

Have to admit, the Towson at Elon game does not look too promising for an upset. Elon has been on a roll after playing Vanderbilt really tough. For this one, you have to fall back on “on any given Saturday” … with the possibility that the Phoenix might be looking ahead to Rhode Island.

Abilene Christian, with its 4-1 record, stands out among the “Others Receiving Votes” … but has not broken into the top-25. I was intrigued by their matchup at Stephen F. Austin and decided to include it. Neither team has played a powerhouse schedule, yet the Wildcats (AC) are in the running for the auto-bid from the ASUN-WAC combine. The Wildcats are the “favorite” because of their record, and a small edge in Sagarin. Yet a win by the Lumberjacks could pull them into a tie for that coveted auto-bid. FWIW: It seems to me that SFA is the more “battle tested” of the two.

(bump)

Also: Somewhat surprised that there aren't more votes for a Youngstown State upset. I see that as a pretty good possibility.

IdaGriz01 said:
(bump)

Also: Somewhat surprised that there aren't more votes for a Youngstown State upset. I see that as a pretty good possibility.

I picked Missouri St and Youngstown St. I think Missouri St will feel like their backs are against the wall and will win that one.

kurtismichael said:
IdaGriz01 said:
(bump)

I picked Missouri St and Youngstown St. I think Missouri St will feel like their backs are against the wall and will win that one.
Their backs ARE against the wall. First, They already have two conferences losses, and three overall. Another loss (in conference) would surely eliminate them from the conference title chase ... and pretty much kill any chance for an at-large bid. (Yes, I know Northern Iowa has made it with 4 losses, but MSU is not UNI.)

Interesting. Came across an article that suggests the Jackson State at Alabama State may be a defensive battle. J-State is basically the best defensive team in the FCS, at the competition level they're playing. Turns out, A-State is also quite defense-oriented. A defensive standoff probably slightly favors the home team. FWIW: A-State also has a "name" coach ... Eddie Robinson, Jr., son of the legendary Grambling coach.

IdaGriz01 said:
(bump)

I voted for Missouri State and YSU. I thought they gave NDSU all they wanted.

Paytonlives said:
Missouri State is in a near must win game...

Yep. They’re in the same boat now as UCD and EWU. Preseason contenders who’ve flamed out miserably.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
(bump)

I voted for Missouri State and YSU. I thought they gave NDSU all they wanted.
Quit copying me. 😬😂

AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:
Missouri State is in a near must win game...
Yep. They’re in the same boat now as UCD and EWU. Preseason contenders who’ve flamed out miserably.
Even Haley says they're basically in "playoff mode," where a loss most likely kicks you out.
https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/10/fcs-football-review-week-5-takeaways-2/

... Petrino’s squad basically is stepping into the playoffs a month or two earlier than expected as it hosts Southern Illinois next Saturday ...

Back