• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Portal Consequences

SoldierGriz

DONOR
Yet another unintended consequence of the transfer portal:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-multiple-college-football-players-plan-on-sitting-out/ar-AA12yOnv?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=09c301377ee94e57b845e072af5b0e1c

Players may choose to sit out the year with the intent to transfer...

That's just bollocks! They should have to suit up and play every down even if they've decided they are done with that program/coach/team/administration and want to move on.

CDAGRIZ said:
That's just bollocks! They should have to suit up and play every down even if they've decided they are done with that program/coach/team/administration and want to move on.
Question: If you categorically state that you will not play for the year ... Can't the school legitimately pull that scholarship and perhaps give it to a deserving walk-on?

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Question: If you categorically state that you will not play for the year ... Can't the school legitimately pull that scholarship and perhaps give it to a deserving walk-on?

I don't think so, because scholarship counts are already done. I think the school should be able to pull it, but IDK about recycling it. Know your recruits, I guess. Part of the job now.

Is somebody leaving mid-season? There are two portal threads started today....makes me wonder. :?

MTGRZ said:
Is somebody leaving mid-season? There are two portal threads started today....makes me wonder. :?

I don't know...I didn't see the other thread when I posted this. The article refers to SMU.

MTGRZ said:

There was a qb leaving a school who just fired their coach. I don’t remember if it was Colorado or Wisconsin.

Right now, there's a lot going on that I find weird and do not particularly like.

HOWEVER, I don't think we will really know the consequences of the current portal structure until the system is cleared of the large number of extra (extra) year players allowed by the COVID crisis. It could still be "not to our likely," but we need to exercise some patience. (I know, that's difficult.)

MTGRZ said:

I was thinking the same thing! Ppl need to quit talking bout this shit!

The way I understand the new rules around the use of the portal, what is happening makes perfect sense. There now is a time frame for them to put their names into the portal and it is not while the season is in progress. These players have informed their coach and administration that they intend to transfer. The coaches would not want to play them anyway, after that. They will stay in school to maintain their eligibility and maintain their team's progress scores. They are probably restricted in most of the recruiting activities, so things remain sort of quiet for the remainder of the season. Once in the portal they can be recruited and make visits. It probably doesn't take all the sting out of it for the fans, but at least it may be less of a distraction during the season. Hopefully it will also help it to not go so long into the summer. At least I am pulling for that. The reasons for wanting to transfer will still be the same. Coaches opinions about getting transfers will also stay the same. :thumb:

Griz Gone Wild said:
Portal Combat...It's a whole new game!

I see that and raise you this

Portalgame.jpg

Griz Addict said:
MTGRZ said:

If you don't talk about it, the problem will go away, like it never happened....RIGHT! :roll:

3-7-77 said:
Griz Addict said:

If you don't talk about it, the problem will go away, like it never happened....RIGHT! :roll:

Ha! Probably. But, I thought it meant as opposed to doing something.

3-7-77 said:
Griz Addict said:

No, we won't think a player is leaving... you dumb? Put it in a different thread.. put a warning, like "nothing to worry about but,"

I'm going to guess you're senile.

Back