• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

I hate the Portal

UncleP

I hate the Portal. I hate when our good guys leave but I mostly don’t like what it’s doing to the game.

I’m curious what effect it has on recruiting if any.

Let’s discuss.

UncleP said:
I hate the Portal. I hate when our good guys leave but I mostly don’t like what it’s doing to the game.

Let’s discuss.

I've always thought it was a bit unfair that a coach can go wherever/whenever he or she wants and a player couldn't, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the transfer portal. Oh, I'm not gonna start?....Transfer. I don't like the coach.....Transfer. Weather here sucks......Transfer. My talents are too good for this school......Transfer.

Look at Lincoln Riley. I heard he had something like 19 kids follow him from Oklahoma to USC (though maybe some of them were commits and not current players). That's just plain ridiculous. I'd be curious if he told USC he thought he could bring a bunch of players with him if they threw enough money at him. I'm assuming that's illegal per NCAA rules, but can't imagine it doesn't happen. NCAA has basically become a free agent frenzy.

Griz2k said:
UncleP said:

Let’s discuss.

I've always thought it was a bit unfair that a coach can go wherever/whenever he or she wants and a player couldn't, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the transfer portal. Oh, I'm not gonna start?....Transfer. I don't like the coach.....Transfer. Weather here sucks......Transfer. My talents are too good for this school......Transfer.

Look at Lincoln Riley. I heard he had something like 19 kids follow him from Oklahoma to USC (though maybe some of them were commits and not current players). That's just plain ridiculous. I'd be curious if he told USC he thought he could bring a bunch of players with him if they threw enough money at him. I'm assuming that's illegal per NCAA rules, but can't imagine it doesn't happen. NCAA has basically become a free agent frenzy.

It's the Ultimate free agency. No contracts, no rules, no guardrails.

Griz2k said:
UncleP said:

Let’s discuss.

You work for Company A.
You feel like your skills aren't being utilized, and you don't like working for Company A.

What do you do?

I thought I hated to portal. Really what I hate is the recruiting that goes with it BEFORE the season is over...the recruiting we never know about. I think what I REALLLLLY hate is NIL. That is what makes the portal garbage. Making more money at a school, not necessarily improving your game, PT, or draft stock. Until they get the NIL under control, the portal is going to blow.

I believe if you get any sort of scholarship from any University, and you choose to transfer, the student athlete(SA) should have to pay it back (At lease some). Its quite literally a waste of money for a SA to come to a university and get tuition, books, meals and lodging paid for but only to leave after X amount of time because things don't work out. Sure, there are exceptions but the SA's need to take a long hard look to make sure its the right fit. Don't even get me going on they're young, ect. and its hard to make choices; 18 year old's sign up for the military. There should be some sort of fulfillment from the student side of things. That and NIL's are about the only things that can slow the portal down.

Great discussion. I’m curious what effect the portal has on coaching styles. “I can’t be too hard on him or he’ll enter the portal” or “I can’t praise him too much because I don’t want him thinking he’s better than he is and trying his luck at the portal”.

Chucknduck said:
I believe if you get any sort of scholarship from any University, and you choose to transfer, the student athlete(SA) should have to pay it back (At lease some). Its quite literally a waste of money for a SA to come to a university and get tuition, books, meals and lodging paid for but only to leave after X amount of time because things don't work out. Sure, there are exceptions but the SA's need to take a long hard look to make sure its the right fit. Don't even get me going on they're young, ect. and its hard to make choices; 18 year old's sign up for the military.

Annual cost of doing business. A school would be dumb to take this approach as it would hurt recruiting.

I don't like the Portal, the no-sit out rule, and NIL, because I believe it will harm and weaken college football overall. It will eventually lead to fewer football programs. It will drastically alter the competitiveness of college football, by creating too much concentration in top teams. The veneer of amateurism is out the window, at least the upper levels. I believe the UM's of the world will do fine. Everyone can't play for a Power 5, or whatever is left of the Power 5. And only so many players can be starters. For whatever UM loses in players, it will gain more. At least, the NCAA is losing its grip on sports. It became a very bad organization with bad leadership.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz2k said:

You work for Company A.
You feel like your skills aren't being utilized, and you don't like working for Company A.

What do you do?

You tough it out, give 110%, work hard, and/or marry your boss’ daughter?

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz2k said:

You work for Company A.

What do you do?

Kind of comparing apples to airplanes. Totally different scenarios in my opinion. I liked how the transfer rules were, you can drop down and play right away or move lateral or up and have to sit out a year. I hate the fact that you can just transfer on a whim anytime you like, anywhere you like with no accountability. There needs to be a little more structure to this. It’s getting out of hand.

Love the portal. Long overdue that players have the same rights as every other student, coach, faculty member etc. Sure it’s sucks as a fan sometimes if you lose a good player. Also great as a fan if you get a great transfer. But I can’t think of one good reason why a football player who would prefer to be somewhere else for a plethora of reasons shouldn’t be allowed to do so.

I have no problem at all with the portal. Yes, rules around it's use and against poaching need to be enforced. If it changes the way that schools and coaches interact with players and those changes are in a more positive manner, then I see no harm. Players don't always know what a coach or school will be like until they are there for a while. I feel that the NCAA is trying to make it fair for everyone involved.

ilovethecats said:
Love the portal. Long overdue that players have the same rights as every other student, coach, faculty member etc. Sure it’s sucks as a fan sometimes if you lose a good player. Also great as a fan if you get a great transfer. But I can’t think of one good reason why a football player who would prefer to be somewhere else for a plethora of reasons shouldn’t be allowed to do so.

Maybe they should just open it up completely and let universities trade players.

Griz2k said:
CDAGRIZ said:
You work for Company A.

What do you do?

Kind of comparing apples to airplanes. Totally different scenarios in my opinion. I liked how the transfer rules were, you can drop down and play right away or move lateral or up and have to sit out a year. I hate the fact that you can just transfer on a whim anytime you like, anywhere you like with no accountability. There needs to be a little more structure to this. It’s getting out of hand.

How so? Not trying to be a dick, but how is it different than what I outlined? Which one is the airplane?

ilovethecats said:

Coaches, students, and faculty members don't move around at will. I'm fine with players being able to move on, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have to sit out a year or comply with other minor restrictions. I would guess that more coaches move after they are fired, and not to go to another (better) job. Players may not have a scholarship renewed, but they don't often get told to get out of the program.

Comparing coach rules and movement to player rules and movement is not apples to apples. In my view, the comparison is basically inapplicable and stupid. Most of the time, schools just pay coaches; they don't invest in them. With players, schools have invested in them. Coaches usually move to a better place. Players sometimes don't get to anyplace they want to go, and often aren't successful at the next school. How do you think the Stitt QB did after his transfer. How about Sulser? He's gotten to play in one game. I wonder if he even suits up now.

Hopefully, last year's Griz punter is getting what he wanted, but he's sure getting to play on a crappy team with lots of problems. How much fun can that be? He's 41st in nation at 43.35. Nebraska is 45th in net punting. Rohrback is averaging 44.14, and is 10th in nation. The Griz are second in net punting, and have given up only 17 return yards.

College football players get scholarships, but they are basically the minor leagues for the NFL. My kid recently decided to quit playing football to become a doctor. If he had gotten a scholarship to play at at a university, I would have encouraged him to follow through on his commitment, as we always have insisted he stay committed on his promises. Today, however, with the state of college football, I would understand if he decided to move on. We don’t know why the kids move into so called greener pastures, but they should always have the same right as the coaches have. They should also have the right to move ion no matter what the reason be. These are not arbitrary decisions. They are decions made for their futures. I would hope that the kids follow through, but I understand if they don’t.

mthoopsfan said:
ilovethecats said:

Coaches, students, and faculty members don't move around at will. I'm fine with players being able to move on, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have to sit out a year or comply with other minor restrictions. I would guess that more coaches move after they are fired, and not to go to another (better) job. Players may not have a scholarship renewed, but they don't often get told to get out of the program.

Comparing coach rules and movement to player rules and movement is not apples to apples. In my view, the comparison is basically inapplicable and stupid. Most of the time, schools just pay coaches; they don't invest in them. With players, schools have invested in them. Coaches usually move to a better place. Players sometimes don't get to anyplace they want to go, and often aren't successful at the next school. How do you think the Stitt QB did after his transfer. How about Sulser? He's gotten to play in one game. I wonder if he even suits up now.

Hopefully, last year's Griz punter is getting what he wanted, but he's sure getting to play on a crappy team with lots of problems. How much fun can that be? He's 41st in nation at 43.35. Nebraska is 45th in net punting. Rohrback is averaging 44.14, and is 10th in nation. The Griz are second in net punting, and have given up only 17 return yards.

Please explain the nuances between “paying” coaches, but “investing in” players.

Also, many many many coaches move up and fail. Many don’t go to a “better place”, nor do their teams perform better. Many don’t make it through their initial contract. Stitt moved up and failed miserably. Hauck had to go to fucking Las Vegas to “move up”—and failed miserably. Scott Frost had to go from sunny Florida to freaking NEBRASKA, and still failed. There are countless examples.

:argue: :argue: For discussion sake.
If the scholarship was a guaranteed 4 years 5 with a redshirt (or 7 with a medical and Covid) and a player wants to enter the portal do you think differently when the scholarship is actually year to year?

My gut tells me this will be the year we "feel" the portal. We have been very lucky to retain so many guys as we have. With all the super sophs and juniors I feel like guys will graduate and move on elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Back