• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lucas spreading the love

alabamagrizzly

So I know it’s only four games in and definitely the easiest 3rd of our schedule but it’s interesting to note Lucas Johnson’s completion percentage. It currently stands at 76.8% completing 76 of his 99 attempts. For comparisons sake, the school record is 68.6% by Craig Ochs which includes his playoff run in ‘04. If he’s eligible for the career record, it’s currently owned by Dave Dickenson at 67.3% and it’s also the con record.

How he spreads the ball around is what’s really amazing. It’s not only a testament to how well he finds the open receiver and can make those throws that only his receivers can catch, but also just how deep this corps of receivers is. Currently 13 different receivers have caught a ball with 8 of them catching at least five and only one of those is a RB. Maybe even more amazing is 7 different receivers have found the end zone. Coupled with his legs and body size, it’s possible we could be witnessing something special right before our eyes. Sit back and enjoy the show Griz fans.

Agreed. Am hoping Bobby & Co. will cut back on the read option. Got plenty of guys to run with the ball, minus the occasional scramble. And if it’s a blowout - why not pull him sooner, saves him & gives the backups a chance to operate the offense in case they’re needed. When was the last season they didn’t need significant playing time out of the backup?

His absolute BEST attribute is his ability to scramble when necessary while STILL keeping his eyes downfield for the inevitable open receiver. That has meant wonders to this offensive performance.

AZGrizFan said:
His absolute BEST attribute is his ability to scramble when necessary while STILL keeping his eyes downfield for the inevitable open receiver. That has meant wonders to this offensive performance.

what this dude said.

Lucas throws one of the most one of the most catch able passes of any quarterback we've had. DD had the same touch.

MikeyGriz said:
The receivers really made him look good this week.

Really? Other than a couple of throws that were off a bit (the catch by Flowers and the jump ball to Roberts come to mind), most I thought were well thrown balls that were right on or very close to right on the money. The back shoulder throw to Fontes in the end zone was an absolute thing of beauty.

I would hope for injury sake that if we get up on a team from here on out that we pull him by the fourth at least. I see moments of good things from Chris but he just needs playtime and hope he gets to see play time with the starters on the O'line so he gets a fair look. This entire team is looking good and hopefully looks to be able to peak at the right time. Defense is playing just lights out, after they figure out what the other team is doing about 1/2 way through the first qt. Call in the fat lady in the second half.

AZGrizFan said:
MikeyGriz said:

Really? Other than a couple of throws that were off a bit (the catch by Flowers and the jump ball to Roberts come to mind), most I thought were well thrown balls that were right on or very close to right on the money. The back shoulder throw to Fontes in the end zone was an absolute thing of beauty.

There was a couple throws that were behind the receiver instead of in front. He's possibly the best qb we have seen since JJ.

Griz Addict said:
AZGrizFan said:

There was a couple throws that were behind the receiver instead of in front. He's possibly the best qb we have seen since JJ.

Yep. He's not perfect. And the catch Flowers made on the one that was waaay behind him was a thing of beauty.

Honestly, IMHO, if LJ doesn't get ANY better the rest of the season I'm fine. He's been a godsend and exactly what this team needed. :thumb: :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
MikeyGriz said:

Even Bobby said Johnson didn't have his best stuff this week

kyle_sample said:
AZGrizFan said:

Heard that...BSC and FCS on notice. RTD is entering the final stages.

kyle_sample said:
AZGrizFan said:

Bobby also said that PSU is a good team. Just like I’m sure he’ll say the same about ISU this week.

kyle_sample said:
AZGrizFan said:

That was what I was thinking when he was 15/15 for 180+ yards and 2 TD’s. At the half. :lol: :lol:

Back