• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Althon Poll

rocklobster

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-rankings-top-25-power-poll-following-week-4-2022

I think the Griz should be at number two instead of three, but this poll likes the BSC. Four teams in the top seven.

Are the Griz developing a reputation for scheduling easy wins? Based on this years schedule and what has been released for next year, there could be something to the criticism? On the other hand, some say it doesn’t make any difference and the task of scheduling is so difficult. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between.

Spanky2 said:
Are the Griz developing a reputation for scheduling easy wins? Based on this years schedule and what has been released for next year, there could be something to the criticism? On the other hand, some say it doesn’t make any difference and the task of scheduling is so difficult. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between.

Yep. 2 MVFC teams in one year. Super easy schedule. Good thing we scheduled them six months ago when we knew they’d suck.

Go check out MSU’s nonconf schedule. Or NDSU’s for that matter. Teams that don’t need to play a money game typically don’t go out and search for top 10 FCS schools to play nonconf. And the BSC has upped its game with enough top tier teams (Sac, Weber, EWU, Griz, UCD) that just the conference schedule can be a death march most years.

Spanky2 said:
Were you around in the 2000’s? This isn’t some new criticism of us :lol:

The difference now is that we aren’t the only Big Sky team that’s ranked all year.

And yeah, NDSU’s non-conference schedule has been a joke for the last 10 years, outside of their FBS games. That’s how you make sure you get home field in the playoffs every year.

Spanky2 said:
I don't see Oklahoma Panhandle State on the upcoming schedules. There's that.

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:

Yep. 2 MVFC teams in one year. Super easy schedule. Good thing we scheduled them six months ago when we knew they’d suck.

Go check out MSU’s nonconf schedule. Or NDSU’s for that matter. Teams that don’t need to play a money game typically don’t go out and search for top 10 FCS schools to play nonconf. And the BSC has upped its game with enough top tier teams (Sac, Weber, EWU, Griz, UCD) that just the conference schedule can be a death march most years.

Do you feel the same about next years non conference schedule? And, of course, I’m sure you applaud a home and home with powerhouse Dixie State?

Spanky2 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Do you feel the same about next years non conference schedule? And, of course, I’m sure you applaud a home and home with powerhouse Dixie State?

One year at a time. As posted earlier, the entire goal of the regular season is twofold: 1) get through relatively unscathed injury-wise, and 2) win games to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

These schedules work well for both of those objectives.

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:

One year at a time. As posted earlier, the entire goal of the regular season is twofold: 1) get through relatively unscathed injury-wise, and 2) win games to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

That might be your entire goal, but not necessarily everyone’s. Allow me to pose a thought for you to cogitate: we have one of the best coaches in the land that with a superb staff has built what is probably a top 50 team (including FBS). The same team, better than last years that beat the stuffing out of Washington. I would like our AD to focus on upgrading the caliber of our opponents wherever possible and give our athletes the opportunity to showcase their very unique talents.

Spanky2 said:
AZGrizFan said:

That might be your entire goal, but not necessarily everyone’s. Allow me to pose a thought for you to cogitate: we have one of the best coaches in the land that with a superb staff has built what is probably a top 50 team (including FBS). The same team, better than last years that beat the stuffing out of Washington. I would like our AD to focus on upgrading the caliber of our opponents wherever possible and give our athletes the opportunity to showcase their very unique talents.
And give our fans the opportunity to see some real football teams coming in. Give our guys credit for being able to beat respectable competition. Two of three this year were respectable, next year, not so much.

Haslem often speaks about the difficulty scheduling. I’m sure it will only become more difficult the more dominant the program becomes.

UncleP said:
Haslem often speaks about the difficulty scheduling. I’m sure it will only become more difficult the more dominant the program becomes.
Follow the money. It's cheaper to get poor teams in than teams that are in demand.

Spanky2 said:

Quite honestly, this isn't unique to Montana. If you consider how difficult a conference schedule is when you play in the BSC, MVC, or CAA with the playoffs as the ultimate goal, top teams want to play solid teams but not necessarily the top teams in OOC play. Take a look at schedules of other top schools in those conferences. I would say that the Griz OOC games this season are solid. As for next year, it looks soft, but I don't believe for a second that Haslem isn't trying to put together the best schedule possible.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
And give our fans the opportunity to see some real football teams coming in. Give our guys credit for being able to beat respectable competition. Two of three this year were respectable, next year, not so much.

The objective isn’t to appease the fan base. The objective is to win football games and play as many as you can in December and January. That’s not accomplished by getting your asses worn down playing NDSU, SDSU and JMU (RIP) every year OOC, losing OOC games, and going on the road come playoff time. I’m not saying I like the approach, but from a coach and AD’s perspective, I understand it. And then throw in the general difficulty of even GETTING these types of teams to want to do a H/H arrangement and the answer kind of comes on its own. We end up with the up and comers or the middle of the pack schools instead of the stars coming to Wa/Griz.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

The objective isn’t to appease the fan base. The objective is to win football games and play as many as you can in December and January. That’s not accomplished by getting your asses worn down playing NDSU, SDSU and JMU (RIP) every year OOC, losing OOC games, and going on the road come playoff time. I’m not saying I like the approach, but from a coach and AD’s perspective, I understand it. And then throw in the general difficulty of even GETTING these types of teams to want to do a H/H arrangement and the answer kind of comes on its own. We end up with the up and comers or the middle of the pack schools instead of the stars coming to Wa/Griz.

The objective isn’t to appease the fan base. You can’t be serious!

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
That’s not accomplished by getting your asses worn down playing NDSU, SDSU and JMU (RIP) every year OOC, losing OOC games, and going on the road come playoff time.
Whoever suggested this? Do you have to employ such hyperbole to amplify your argument? It does not require scheduling the NDSUs, the SDSUs or JMUs (RIP) to avoid scheduling the Ferris Sts, the Butlers, the Dixie Sts, the Oklahoma Panhandle Sts. Scheduling the latter group is not a requirement to achieving your postseason objectives.

Yes, scheduling is a challenge. Overlaying a requirement that there must be no chance to lose does not necessarily make it easier.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
That’s not accomplished by getting your asses worn down playing NDSU, SDSU and JMU (RIP) every year OOC, losing OOC games, and going on the road come playoff time.
Whoever suggested this? Do you have to employ such hyperbole to amplify your argument? It does not require scheduling the NDSUs, the SDSUs or JMUs (RIP) to avoid scheduling the Ferris Sts, the Butlers, the Dixie Sts, the Oklahoma Panhandle Sts. Scheduling the latter group is not a requirement to achieving your postseason objectives.

Yes, scheduling is a challenge. Overlaying a requirement that there must be no chance to lose does not necessarily make it easier.

Well then, my point stands on its own: how much better of an OOC schedule can one make than two MVFC teams and a Southland team? It really can’t get any better than that.

Spanky2 said:
AZGrizFan said:

The objective isn’t to appease the fan base. You can’t be serious!

Shirley, I can. Do you honestly think Haslam thinks about “how will the fans react” to whomever he is able to schedule? I don’t think that’s real high on his list of priorities.

Back