• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game Press Conference

citygriz

Great day to be a Griz last Saturday. We stomp a Homecoming opponent, winning our fourth straight game in a rout, on top of which we're now ranked in the Top 60 in the entire country by Sagarin. On top of which, Robby Hauck not only sets the all-time record for tackles, he returns a kick for a TD. The post-game press conference should be a thing of joy, no?

Ah, no. If you'd walked in just awakened from a two-month coma, you might have thought the Griz had lost--and maybe every game so far this year. After Bobby mumbles a few words head down, fidgeting the while with the stat sheet, the first question is to Junior Bergen. Huh? Isn't this Robbie's day? Isn't the first question to him? And isn't there SOME expression of joy on the part of a proud father, maybe even a fist bump?

Nope. It's clear on Bobby's part this is a chore, something that has to be done, something to get through, in as desultory a fashion as his possible. He wears his disdain for the press like a gaudy convention badge.

But since the press is my representative as well, my one direct link to a team I have loved since before Bobby Hauck was born, that attitude leaks through to me as well. I know he's greatly appreciative of the fabulous fan base at Montana, as we are of his efforts to turn this program around and recruit such high caliber kids. And yes, I wish that first question had been to Robby and not to Junior Bergen.

But isn't it possible for Bobby to lighten up a bit, to make these post game pressers something more than the sodden gloomy events they've turned into? Hell, if you can't enjoy the ride, what's the point?

citay said:
Great day to be a Griz last Saturday. We stomp a Homecoming opponent, winning our fourth straight game in a rout, on top of which we're now ranked in the Top 60 in the entire country by Sagarin. On top of which, Robby Hauck not only sets the all-time record for tackles, he returns a kick for a TD. The post-game press conference should be a thing of joy, no?

Ah, no. If you'd walked in just awakened from a two-month coma, you might have thought the Griz had lost--and maybe every game so far this year. After Bobby mumbles a few words head down, fidgeting the while with the stat sheet, the first question is to Junior Bergen. Huh? Isn't this Robbie's day? Isn't the first question to him? And isn't there SOME expression of joy on the part of a proud father, maybe even a fist bump?

Nope. It's clear on Bobby's part this is a chore, something that has to be done, something to get through, in as desultory a fashion as his possible. He wears his disdain for the press like a gaudy convention badge.

But since the press is my representative as well, my one direct link to a team I have loved since before Bobby Hauck was born, that attitude leaks through to me as well. I know he's greatly appreciative of the fabulous fan base at Montana, as we are of his efforts to turn this program around and recruit such high caliber kids. And yes, I wish that first question had been to Robby and not to Junior Bergen.

But isn't it possible for Bobby to lighten up a bit, to make these post game pressers something more than the sodden gloomy events they've turned into? Hell, if you can't enjoy the ride, what's the point?

As they say, it is what it is. Bobby is a great coach, probably top 20 in the country (including FBS), but a little light on people skills. Ill take him the way he is.

As they say, it is what it is. Bobby is a great coach, probably top 20 in the country (including FBS), but a little light on people skills. Ill take him the way he is.

His people skills are on point. His personality with the press is by choice.

I like who he is and what he means to the entire state of Montana. He understands the rivalry and feeds the fanbase. His record as a recruiter is definitely his strength and now his ability to surround himself with great assistants who can develop a kid is going to get him stolen from his school.

For a preseason presser, the OP ought to take a bit of time and watch this:

https://www-cbs42-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbs42.com/alabama-news/watch-nick-saban-holds-press-conference-as-alabamas-fall-camp-starts/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16642252762810&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbs42.com%2Falabama-news%2Fwatch-nick-saban-holds-press-conference-as-alabamas-fall-camp-starts%2F

Then, go watch a few of his...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
I like who he is and what he means to the entire state of Montana. He understands the rivalry and feeds the fanbase. His record as a recruiter is definitely his strength and now his ability to surround himself with great assistants who can develop a kid is going to get him stolen from his school.

For a preseason presser, the OP ought to take a bit of time and watch this:

https://www-cbs42-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbs42.com/alabama-news/watch-nick-saban-holds-press-conference-as-alabamas-fall-camp-starts/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16642252762810&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbs42.com%2Falabama-news%2Fwatch-nick-saban-holds-press-conference-as-alabamas-fall-camp-starts%2F

Then, go watch a few of his when things didn't go well.

One of my favorites from this coach was when he asked a Miami sports reporter after a game
"WHATTHE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING!!!!"

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-huskies/only-regret-for-1991-huskies-is-having-to-share-college-football-title-with-miami/

Sports reporters ought to toughen up a bit in some parts of the country.

citay said:

It's a good post, and many feel the same way. I've decided to weight the Ws more than his opportunities with the press. He does it on purpose...he doesn't want to be there...and he does get asked some very dumb questions at times.

I'd like to see Bobby's Ws mixed with Joe Glenn's personality...

I like Bobby. He’s great. I couldn’t care less how he comes in across in his press conferences. He is usually articulate with the words he chooses.

How were the questions? Smart, or dumb? What was his favorite song on Saturday?

Didn’t and won’t watch it. I don’t understand why it still being done. It’s embarrassing for our school, our fan base, and our state. The defenders will now say “ya but you should see him on Wednesday night. Or he’s way better in other situations.” These are true statements but have no bearing on the post game presser. Just get rid of it and stop the embarrassment and ridicule.

Bobby Hauck is a great guy outside the presser.

My complaint is to the reporters who are supposed to be professionals but ask the most stupid f*cking questions you could imagine; "So, how did it feel to run an attempted field goal back for a TD?" "Ah.....good?" " So what was it like to catch that 30 yard pass?" "Um....good?" Holy crap, it drives me insane just trying to listen.....so I don't.

I am inclined to instead point out the treatment of Montana fans by the media. We stomp a Homecoming opponent, winning our fourth straight game in a rout, on top of which we're now ranked in the Top 60 in the entire country by Sagarin. On top of which, Robby Hauck not only sets the all-time record for tackles, he returns a kick for a TD and... the local newspaper leads with the bobcats.

GunnyGriz said:
I am inclined to instead point out the treatment of Montana fans by the media. We stomp a Homecoming opponent, winning our fourth straight game in a rout, on top of which we're now ranked in the Top 60 in the entire country by Sagarin. On top of which, Robby Hauck not only sets the all-time record for tackles, he returns a kick for a TD and... the local newspaper leads with the bobcats.

Maybe it’s because the Cat coach is a soft pussy in the press conferences and ours isn’t.

daGrizJ said:

My complaint is to the reporters who are supposed to be professionals but ask the most stupid f*cking questions you could imagine; "So, how did it feel to run an attempted field goal back for a TD?" "Ah.....good?" " So what was it like to catch that 30 yard pass?" "Um....good?" Holy crap, it drives me insane just trying to listen.....so I don't.
We wanted a winning coach (back) and we got one. As far as the pressers are concerned, I am in the who cares club. Not just reserved for just Bobby's interviews, the vast majority of reporters, nationwide, in all venues, are apparently being paid good money to ask the obvious, mundane, and the stupid questions. IMHO, they all insult the viewers intelligence, and numb our senses.

citay said:

If you watched it and didn't like it, that means you made a concious decision to watch it in the first place. Why put yourself in that situation? If Bobby's surlyness bothers you that much, eliminate the possibility by not watching in the first place! If you want to see/hear a jovial Bobby, tune into one of the other suggested situations where he is reported to exist. If you continue to tune into the post-game interview, be prepared to continue to be dissatisfied.

Some folks are unreal. We could have beat Alabama by three TDs and they’d find a reason to bitch.

How about this for a reality check - these coaches are working 6-7 days per week, some very long days, all of which is capped with a practical where every decision is scrutinized by armchair quarterbacks. I would be mentally drained after that work week and wouldn’t want to go to the dog and pony show.

If Hauck keeps winning and treats folks with respect, he should get an A+.

GrizMusician said:
Some folks are unreal. We could have beat Alabama by three TDs and they’d find a reason to bitch.

How about this for a reality check - these coaches are working 6-7 days per week, some very long days, all of which is capped with a practical where every decision is scrutinized by armchair quarterbacks. I would be mentally drained after that work week and wouldn’t want to go to the dog any pony show.

If Hauck keeps winning and treats folks with respect, he should get an A+.

Textbook hyperbole...

stilwtrgrizz said:
daGrizJ said:

We wanted a winning coach (back) and we got one. As far as the pressers are concerned, I am in the who cares club. Not just reserved for just Bobby's interviews, the vast majority of reporters, nationwide, in all venues, are apparently being paid good money to ask the obvious, mundane, and the stupid questions. IMHO, they all insult the viewers intelligence, and numb our senses.

+1 journalism is dead...including sports journalism. Gotta trust your eyes.

Back