• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Knight - working his way back

HookedonGriz

DONOR
I’ve stated a couple times that Knight isn’t quite 100% and they are working him back in slowly and strategically. This was confirmed when I watched the game back on TV…the play by play guys actually mentioned something along the lines of “Knight is getting more healthy each week but is still at 75-80%”. They must have gotten that % from the coaching staff to mention it like that, as I don’t think they’d speculate like that.

Not saying you're wrong, but these Twitter posts seem to paint a slightly different picture and point at some frustration, at least on the part of family:

https://twitter.com/rknight555/status/1573842025736183809

https://twitter.com/rknight555/status/1571628231262085120

Hope to see Marcus tearing it up again like he used to very soon!!

The reality is, he isnt our best RB right now and its very obvious. X has the most juice by far and and Ostmo is bashing dudes.

blackfootipa said:
The reality is, he isnt our best RB right now and its very obvious. X has the most juice by far and and Ostmo is bashing dudes.

Agree that both of those dudes are looking good and tearing it up!

That said, Marcus Knight is the best RB Montana has. He has not really shown his flash yet since his return from injury. None the less, I believe he will return to his previous form. When he does, he will not only be the Grizzlies best RB, but potentially the best in the conference. There is no doubt he has the talent. He just needs to show it when he gets his reps because Harris and Ostmo are both looking solid

Players are coming back quicker and quicker from ACL reconstruction, where you can be cleared in as little as 6 months to resume athletic activities. My experience from a coaching perspective, its a little bit deceiving because while they are cleared most players don't get the full muscular strength return until well after a year. Players lose a ton of muscle mass in those 6-12 months and those losses are rarely standard.

Traditionally, the habit it is to add bulk (which normally adds slow twitch muscles) to protect the knee. Some athletes lose explosive ability because it is really hard to retrain muscles and rewire them after everything they've done for two calendar years is slow-slow-slow. A lot of rehab programs are now focusing on explosion training rehabs (which used to be frowned upon because perceived stress) and developing fast twitch and acceleration/deceleration these days to help players recover explosive abilities quicker. There is a bit more risk, but in the same way with UCL tears (Tommy John), but players can exit the rehab now potentially in a better muscular position than when they entered it.

Knight hasn't had bounce and the type of explosion we saw prior to the injury. There are a lot reasons or potential reasons as to why that has occurred, and the severity of the injury and muscular damage done is an entirely plausible answer to his slower return. I'm not saying that anyone screwed up his rehab, but the recovery to a serious joint/muscle injury is rarely linear. The expectations for Marcus might be in one place, the results in another and his ability somewhere in the middle at this point. I think he'll get better and more explosive as he gets more time, and while I'd advise patience, I'm not Marcus, the coaching staff. Just a pedestrian ex FB coach who provides overly wordy responses on a fan message board.

Grizfan-24 said:
Players are coming back quicker and quicker from ACL reconstruction, where you can be cleared in as little as 6 months to resume athletic activities. My experience from a coaching perspective, its a little bit deceiving because while they are cleared most players don't get the full muscular strength return until well after a year. Players lose a ton of muscle mass in those 6-12 months and those losses are rarely standard.

Traditionally, the habit it is to add bulk (which normally adds slow twitch muscles) to protect the knee. Some athletes lose explosive ability because it is really hard to retrain muscles and rewire them after everything they've done for two calendar years is slow-slow-slow. A lot of rehab programs are now focusing on explosion training rehabs (which used to be frowned upon because perceived stress) and developing fast twitch and acceleration/deceleration these days to help players recover explosive abilities quicker. There is a bit more risk, but in the same way with UCL tears (Tommy John), but players can exit the rehab now potentially in a better muscular position than when they entered it.

Knight hasn't had bounce and the type of explosion we saw prior to the injury. There are a lot reasons or potential reasons as to why that has occurred, and the severity of the injury and muscular damage done is an entirely plausible answer to his slower return. I'm not saying that anyone screwed up his rehab, but the recovery to a serious joint/muscle injury is rarely linear. The expectations for Marcus might be in one place, the results in another and his ability somewhere in the middle at this point. I think he'll get better and more explosive as he gets more time, and while I'd advise patience, I'm not Marcus, the coaching staff. Just a pedestrian ex FB coach who provides overly wordy responses on a fan message board.

or, it could be he isn't playing due to some other reason, or combinations of reasons. that said, i read an article about cooper kupp and his acl repair a few years ago. He was quoted as saying he thought it gave him a chance to relearn how to run, jump, etc, in a way that helped him get faster and quicker than he was before. i know a lot of factors are involved, but his production since then went from good to great, statistically speaking. .

Griz are going to need him down the stretch and into the playoffs...he will probably be the secret sauce.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz are going to need him down the stretch and into the playoffs...he will probably be the secret sauce.

Agreed. Also, having a player of Knight's caliber fighting for touches is a good problem to have (although I'm sure he doesn't see it that way).

HookedonGriz said:
…the play by play guys actually mentioned something along the lines of “Knight is getting more healthy each week but is still at 75-80%”. They must have gotten that % from the coaching staff to mention it like that, as I don’t think they’d speculate like that.

Wow just 75-80% after close to 14 months? While admitting I have literally nothing to base my opinion off of, that still seems surprisingly low.

gotgame75 said:
HookedonGriz said:
…the play by play guys actually mentioned something along the lines of “Knight is getting more healthy each week but is still at 75-80%”. They must have gotten that % from the coaching staff to mention it like that, as I don’t think they’d speculate like that.

Wow just 75-80% after close to 14 months? While admitting I have literally nothing to base my opinion off of, that still seems surprisingly low.

I think every fan wants to see him not only succeed, but flourish. Clearly the bulk he put on, plus the ACL injury have seriously changed his running style and agility. (Thanks Captain Obvious!). He just does not look like the same player. His weight distribution doesn’t look right when he is preparing to take a hit. Much more upright than previously. Appears he is afraid to put weight on the knee. Maybe he is just too damn muscle bound and lost a lot of flexibility? 70-80% seems low given the timeframe or recovery. Hopefully he turns the corner. I don’t read much into the posts by family members.

Your title sums it. And everyone is rooting for him, how could you not? Time doesn’t wait for you, and there are guys on this team who are quite talented and earned playing time for their hard work. And all if them believe the W is more important than how many snaps, yards and TD’s they accumulate. And that’s why this could be a special season.

go96griz said:
Not saying you're wrong, but these Twitter posts seem to paint a slightly different picture and point at some frustration, at least on the part of family:

https://twitter.com/rknight555/status/1573842025736183809

https://twitter.com/rknight555/status/1571628231262085120

Hope to see Marcus tearing it up again like he used to very soon!!

Even Ford's dad is Tweeting his unhappiness about Justin getting subbed a lot. The downfall of a loaded team.

gotgame75 said:
HookedonGriz said:

As I noted earlier, the injury isn't uniform and the rehab process isn't linear.

That being said, because I have heard similar sentiment among coaches who are frustrated with how players rehab and recover from injury. A PT who worked with a football program I used to coach in sort of put it into perspective about what an ACL/knee injury is. He said over his career the ACL rehab is rarely just the ACL but rather traumatic injury to a joint, occasionally muscles, to bone and other ligaments. He said the illusion is that while the recovery period has been shortened it has in large part because the surgery itself is less invasive than it used to be. The platelet therapies and all those advancements in rehab reduce recovery time, but it is still a significant injury to a weight bearing joint that asks players to rehab the joint and strengthen atrophied muscles. Moreover, he said that while the ligaments installed are in many cases stronger than those present before the injury, an originally wired knee is generally preferable to a surgically repaired one. As he said that most of the time its the inflammation in the joint and surrounding area that creates the most havoc in rehab.

Grizfan-24 said:
gotgame75 said:

As I noted earlier, the injury isn't uniform and the rehab process isn't linear.

That being said, because I have heard similar sentiment among coaches who are frustrated with how players rehab and recover from injury. A PT who worked with a football program I used to coach in sort of put it into perspective about what an ACL/knee injury is. He said over his career the ACL rehab is rarely just the ACL but rather traumatic injury to a joint, occasionally muscles, to bone and other ligaments. He said the illusion is that while the recovery period has been shortened it has in large part because the surgery itself is less invasive than it used to be. The platelet therapies and all those advancements in rehab reduce recovery time, but it is still a significant injury to a weight bearing joint that asks players to rehab the joint and strengthen atrophied muscles. Moreover, he said that while the ligaments installed are in many cases stronger than those present before the injury, an originally wired knee is generally preferable to a surgically repaired one. As he said that most of the time its the inflammation in the joint and surrounding area that creates the most havoc in rehab.

coming from a PT...what this dude said.

when rehabbing from injury, regaining strength is rarely the issue. regaining flexibility is rarely the issue. regaining pre-injury coordination levels is the issue. coordination isn't just walking a tight rope or closing your eyes while on one foot. coordination is contraction and relaxation of the muscles surrounding a joint to 1) move the joint effectively AND efficiently, and 2) stabilize and protect said joint. coordinated 'active' structures (think muscles) take a great deal of burden and strain off of 'passive' structures (think ligament, cartilage, bone). all the strength in the world won't do squat (no pun intended....but if you say 'no pun intended' isn't it by some degree, then intended?) unless you are able to coordinate it effectively.

I think the fan base is much higher on Marcus Knight than the coaching staff may be. At least right now.

It’s probably a bit of both coming back from injury and also having two guys ahead of him that the coaches may think are playing better.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
I think the fan base is much higher on Marcus Knight than the coaching staff may be. At least right now.

It’s probably a bit of both coming back from injury and also having two guys ahead of him that the coaches may think are playing better.

I have heard the coaches are very high on Marcus Knight. He is one of the best RBs in the nation and the Conference. Plain and simple, he is coming off a major injury. Patience and time. He is working very hard to come back. Someone of his caliber does not lose a starting job to injury. It is nice the other guys are holding their own right now. The running game has not really been tested or used that much yet anyway. As the games and the competition progresses, we will need Knight for sure. Prayers for him.

I don't think we have seen Knight touch the ball enough to see if he's back to his form or not. You can't tell that off a couple plays here and there. If we seen him carry the ball around 10-15 times within 2 quarters, we'd have a better grasp of where he is it. And frankly, I'm on his dad's side. Give the kid more shots and let's see wtf happens. Idc how well the others are doing Knight broke records as a freshman and that was just a preview.

Kobezoey said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I have heard the coaches are very high on Marcus Knight. He is one of the best RBs in the nation and the Conference. Plain and simple, he is coming off a major injury. Patience and time. He is working very hard to come back. Someone of his caliber does not lose a starting job to injury. It is nice the other guys are holding their own right now. The running game has not really been tested or used that much yet anyway. As the games and the competition progresses, we will need Knight for sure. Prayers for him.

I’m not saying this based off of opinion. I’m saying it based off of a question that was asked directly to a coach.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Kobezoey said:

I’m not saying this based off of opinion. I’m saying it based off of a question that was asked directly to a coach.

That's cool. My statement was based off of that (coach statement), as well. Bottom line, they love Marcus and will get him out there when they feel he is ready.

Back