• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#1 Griz @ #2 SAC on College Gameday? ESPN 2 - 10/22/22

Kadeezy

BSC Commish is trying to grease the Gameday to BSC wheels again…

While Sacramento is not the traditional FCS power city, I would say IF, IF, the FCS gets a Gameday this season, this game would be best shot for it to happen for several reasons:

1. Gameday is likely to be in CA for USC and Utah the week before.

2. The FBS matchups are nothing special that week.

3. ESPN is already broadcasting the Grizz and Hornets on national TV that day on ESPN 2.

4. Sacramento’s stadium, infrastructure, and proximity to major airport will allow for a quick setup and take down, moving around of on air talent.

5. There’s a good chance both teams will be undefeated and possibly top ranked at this point.

6. With end zone bleachers and other seating, capacity is around 26,000.

7. Since the video below, there’s a new press box, signage, and Gameday experience add ons.

Still, odds of happening… 5%? Lol

https://youtu.be/awNIPua5H24

That’d be a terrible environment though, no offense Kadeezy. Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of interest in football among the student body at SAC.

Kadeezy said:

While Sacramento is not the traditional FCS power city, I would say IF, IF, the FCS gets a Gameday this season, this game would be best shot for it to happen for several reasons:

3. ESPN is already broadcasting the Grizz and Hornets on national TV that day on ESPN 2.

4. Sacramento’s stadium, infrastructure, and proximity to major airport will allow for a quick setup and take down, moving around of on air talent.

5. There’s a good chance both teams will be undefeated and possibly top ranked at this point.

7. Since the video below, there’s a new press box, signage, and Gameday experience add ons.

That would be great. I've always wondered what happened to your football program because when I was young, it was one of the best in the west for small college football. Your nonrevenue sports are still outstanding although NAU has taken over cross country. Why the apathy now?

https://www.csus.edu/news/newsroom/stories/2021/10/fall-enrollment-2021.html

Meh. GameDay made their decision and lost last year, in my book. Those kind of safe choices are good examples of why the network is in freefall

The day "Gameday" goes to Sac St before ever going to arguably the best stadium/pregame atmosphere in the FCS, is the day I stop watching Gameday.

I have to imagine that even postulating this in the boardroom at ESPN would merit severe ridicule if not possible firing.

All due respect of course

The best chance for Gameday to even consider an FCS stop is on 11/18/23 when the Griz host the Cats... That said it's still only a 20% shot. But it's nice to dream...!

https://herosports.com/football-history-espn-college-gameday-fcs-campuses-byby/
November 16, 2002: Harvard at Penn
Result: Penn 44, Harvard 9

November 26, 2005: Southern vs. Grambling State
Result: Grambling 50, Southern 35

November 15, 2008: Hampton at Florida A&M
Result: Florida A&M 45, Hampton 24

September 21, 2013: Delaware State at #1 North Dakota State
Result: North Dakota State 51, Delaware State 0

September 13, 2014: Incarnate Word at #1 North Dakota State
Result: North Dakota State 58, Incarnate Word 0

November 22, 2014: Yale at #14 Harvard
Result: Harvard 31, Yale 24

October 24, 2015: #11 Richmond at #4 James Madison
Result: Richmond 59, James Madison 49

October 14, 2017: #11 Villanova at #1 James Madison
Result: James Madison 30, Villanova 8

October 26, 2018: #1 North Dakota State at #3 South Dakota State
Result: North Dakota State 23, South Dakota State 16

Their first 3 FCS hosts for Gameday featured unranked teams and the next two were big mismatches on paper beforehand, showing ESPN couldn't care less about the quality of the actual game being played later at the host site. That being said, I'm with others in thinking they won't go to a site featuring a Griz matchup anytime soon.

The lynchpin here is Herbie. If he can make an easy flight to the location he’s calling the game, there’s a chance. Had they chosen to go to Utah last season instead of the blowout they got in Columbus, there might have been a game day experience in Missoula. I think ESPN hamstrings themselves with this arrangement & that he could be replaced on either gig & no one would know the difference.

Kadeezy said:

To quote a line from one of my favorite movies:
"What will it cost, man? What will it cost?"
Paying 26,000 Californicators to show up at the game, not to mention paying those to show up for the Lee Corso Show, and be loud and enthusiastic(en·thu·si·as·tic
/inˌTH(y)o͞ozēˈastik,enˌTH(y)o͞ozēˈastik/)(adjective) 'having or showing intense and eager enjoyment, interest, or approval.'

I doubt California has that many movie extras still alive. Cecil B. DeMille, in his prime, couldn't pull that one off.

Similar to the immediate post-game reaction of the OC or DC of Missouri as their team imploded on national TV. No actors, no set up, just this guy going completely ape shit, destroying whatever was on the desk in front of him. Others in the booth just kinda looked at him with that 'somebody go get the butterfly net' look.

Kadeezy said:

Nice windup. Though it got me thinking and looking.

The first problem is that USC is at Utah. Strange thing is I have a ticket to that game. Very long story, not now.

There have been YEARS when Gameday doesn’t go out west. Twice in two weeks only seems to happen during bowl season. I think we know reasons for that.

What’s your angle? “Good FCS football team” by itself does not cut it. Then again, would ESPN really get caught in Sacramento?

I'm pretty pleased that bunch will be in Clemson instead of in Columbia, Missouri this weekend! I can't wait to enjoy the competion between the St. Louis vs the K.C. barbecues for the tailgates. Although I don't think Missouri will be much of a challenge to the Dawgs, as I've stated many times, there's one hell of a lot more involved in a college game day experience other than the football game. The brother--in-law cut short his vacation through the Canadian Rockies, Glacier and Yellowstone to fly back just to get to see the game. For what it's worth, they were very impressed with Belgrade International Airport.

Latest posts

Back