• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Update on Indoor Practice Facility

Griz til I die said:
Weren't they supposed to break ground this Spring? What the hell happened?

That's what I thought, too. I'd also like to know the answer.

Griz til I die said:
Weren't they supposed to break ground this Spring? What the hell happened?

Right?! All news said they would start this Spring or Summer and could have availability to potentially be used by playoff time this fall. Would be a shame to postpone so late and not even start until next Spring. Bummer.

alabamagrizzly said:
Breaking ground? I thought it was just an inflatable ballon.

The bubble needs a surrounding foundation to anchor it. The artificial field and surrounding track needs a graded and solid understory, like is under the field at Wa-Griz. You don't just lay the turf on top of an old, uneven grass patch.

Others have said, and I agree, the number of construction projects currently going on at the U, especially on the NE corner of campus, probably is the reason for the delay in the practice field project. If you havn't recently, visit the campus. You will be amazed at all the construction happening.

Don't they just have to inflate a Quonset hut shaped balloon? Not to over simplify it, but still. Maybe it's on the same slow boat as the Missoula fireworks.

Cowboys84 said:
KILO217 said:
Anyone have an update on when they'll break ground on the new indoor practice facility?

Ask Karen, I'm sure she knows.
Ok. I’m a bit nervous to ask tho because I’m scared you might report me to the ncaa. Anyway, here goes: can you give us a status report on your Catz’s upgrades? I was just wondering why the no demo reno of Reno’s For Sale Field is taking so long? Didn’t the bubcats announce some reno of Reno years ago? For real, there was going to be a “promenade” connecting the various stadias and everything. Guess it’s starting to fade like Ewe’s “Gateway Project”. Maybe everyone will just forget, huh?

griz4life said:
Don't they just have to inflate a Quonset hut shaped balloon? Not to over simplify it, but still. Maybe it's on the same slow boat as the Missoula fireworks.
75% of the construction is in the base preparation and turf.

I thought they just had to inflate the white part. How could it take more than 12 hours max?

A considerable amount of money has been spent on athletic facilities. Is there a plan, either short term or long term for UM to move from FCS to FBS? Or is it business as usual, we remain in the Big Sky Conference and FBS? Admit it or not, our FCS status has a negative impact on basketball and the university itself.

Spanky2 said:
A considerable amount of money has been spent on athletic facilities. Is there a plan, either short term or long term for UM to move from FCS to FBS? Or is it business as usual, we remain in the Big Sky Conference and FBS? Admit it or not, our FCS status has a negative impact on basketball and the university itself.

Why would our FCS status in football have a negative impact on D1 basketball of which we compete in?

Because UM and MSU are regarded as Division 2 by many. To think otherwise is wishful thinking. Are you proud to be in a conference with Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Portland State? Are they our peers?

Spanky2 said:
Because UM and MSU are regarded as Division 2 by many. To think otherwise is wishful thinking. Are you proud to be in a conference with Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Portland State? Are they our peers?
I guess I don't care if they are regarded as D2 when in fact they are D1. Especially in basketball where there are 350 D1 teams, however regardless of what conference they are in or if they are "regarded" as D2 only a handful have a shot at winning the whole thing.

I'm not proud of the Big Sky conference as I'm pretty indifferent. It's the conference my favorite team plays in. It's a conference that has the best rivalry in the FCS. It's a conference that participates in the playoffs. My enjoyment of Saturday football is very high right now, watching BSC teams. If the Cats were to move "up" in hopes by doing so our D1 teams would be regarded as D1....my personal enjoyment would be just the same.

I really don't care what the rest of the country thinks about our conference or our level of football. I have a favorite FBS team too and I don't feel any better about their wins than I do the Bobcats. :thumb:

Back