• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Eastern 2022 Regular Season Predictions

Griz til I die

DONOR
Alright everyone, happy Election Day to all of us here in Montana! If you haven't yet, please make sure you go out and vote today and make your voice heard! We are moving onto week 3 of the Big Sky season previews with Eastern due up today. I was traveling yesterday and was not able to get this up, so sorry for being a day late. The big question down In Cheney surrounding this season is who will be the QB. I personally think it's going to be Senior Gunner Talkington who's been sitting behind EB3 patiently waiting his turn, but I know many Eags fans are excited about some of the younger guys, and a transfer from ASU. Keeping this in mind, let's dive in!

September 3 vs. Tennessee State - W. It doesn't matter who the QB is for this one, Eastern will be just fine when Eddie George brings his Tigers across the country to play on the red rug. I do think Eddie George will get this program turned around similar to Deion at JSU, but It'll take some time. Eags roll in this one.

September 10 @ Oregon - L. This will be a tough one. I am a huge fan of Oregon's new head coach Dan Lanning, and I really do like Bo Nix. You looking for a sleeper team to make the CFP this year? I personally think it could be this Duck team. No chance for the Eags in this one.

September 17 BYE. Same week that we had our bye week last year. Absolutely brutal time to have it, especially with a tough schedule, but for the second second straight year, Eastern will get their bye week right before hosting the cats.

September 24 vs. Montana State - L. I'm sorry but I do not think Eastern wins this game. I know that's probably gonna be a hot take with some of you, but I think with schematically what the cats do, it's just not a good matchup for Eastern. Lack of defense and unknowns at QB gives me no confidence the Eags can win this game. Only thing they got going for themselves in this one is it's at home after their bye week. Can they both just kill each other please?

October 1 @ Florida - L. This was the game many of you had questions about. Here's why they're playing 2 money games this year. This was Eastern's scheduled money game for the 2020 season. After it was cancelled, both schools agreed they still wanted to play this game and re-scheduled it for this year. Florida was fine with this cause they needed a game for 2022, Eastern was fine with doing this because at the time, that was when shit really started to hit the fan at Eastern with the budgetary crisis, and they need the money. Good news is with it being a so-called re-build year and the end of the Barriere era, this is a good year to have 2 money games. No chance for the Eags in this one, they're simply just going to cash a $750,000 check.

October 8 @ Weber State - L. This is a 50-50 game. I think both these teams aren't going to be very good this year. That said, there's no excuse why Eastern should have lost to Weber at home last year with how pitiful Weber's offense was. Give me Weber at home in this one.

October 15 vs. Sacramento State - L. At this point, Eastern will be 1-4 and on a 4 game losing streak going into this one, and it will be time to put their money where their mouth is. That said, they're not beating Sac State at home. They lose this game, they'll be 1-5 and only halfway through the year, they'll be eliminated from the playoffs. At this point, you might as well just hang it up and call it a year.

October 22 @ Cal Poly - W. After a 5 game losing streak and not having a win since opening weekend, the Eags finally break through on the road against their old coach. I think this could be a close game, but I like Eastern in this one.

October 29 vs. Portland State - W. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I think PSU will be the worst team in the conference this year. They'll be just fine at home in this one.

November 5 @ Idaho - W. A place that Eastern has struggled immensely at over the years. They lost in Moscow during the spring 2021 season, and lost in Moscow in 2019 as well. The Vandy's may very well find their stride by this time under Jason Eck, but I think Eastern just sneaks it out in this one.

November 12 @ Montana - L. If there was any hope that a 6-5 Eastern team with a difficult SOS could get into the playoffs, their dreams will be squashed in this one. A losing record will not get you into the playoffs, and this will be the final nail in the coffin for the Eags.

November 19 vs. Northern Colorado - W. Good game to send the seniors off. They'll get a nice, comfortable win at home, as they look forward to the 2023 season.

--------------------------------------------------------

I got Eastern going 5-6. If they can beat the cats at home or Weber on the road and finish 6-5, with their strength of schedule and 2 money games, I think they'll get in to the playoffs. If they start 1-4 or even 1-5, which they very well could, you gotta wonder what that does to them mentally. They might just check out for the year and start looking at 2023. They'll have to dig in deep during the second half of the season. Can they do it? I personally don't think they can, but we'll see. That's my prediction. Thoughts???

I think you've got a great analysis here, and I agree with a lot of it on paper, but I also will forever be convinced until proven otherwise that they will just find another great QB and somehow go 7-4 or 8-3. :lol:

I honestly HATE that we're playing them that late in the year because I can see them struggling a lot early, but then finding their stride and getting dangerous.

I'm also not sure they'll lose to both Weber and Sac, but that has more to do with the fact that I don't think either are going to be much better than EWU, if at all.

poorgriz said:
Ya, almost zero chance they go 5-6. This is EWU.
They've had down years before. I could certainly see them being better than 5-6, but which of those games are they going to win?

They get a lot of kids with a chip on their shoulder who didn't receive an offer from other schools even though there's a genetic line of professional athletes in their family. If I were a betting person, I'd bet they split their money games and roll through the conference business as usual. Those kids who go there are busting their ass in the weight room and the summer conditioning program right now.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
They get a lot of kids with a chip on their shoulder who didn't receive an offer from other schools even though there's a genetic line of professional athletes in their family. If I were a betting person, I'd bet they split their money games and roll through the conference business as usual. Those kids who go there are busting their ass in the weight room and the summer conditioning program right now.
I'm pretty bullish on EWU, but they wouldn't have done that even last season with a much better team.

They are going to get pasted by both Oregon and Florida.

uofmman1122 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
I'm pretty bullish on EWU, but they wouldn't have done that even last season with a much better team.

A much better Eastern team couldnt beat a mediocre Texas Tech team a couple years ago. I agree with you.

uofmman1122 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

As I stated I'm not a betting person. Both Chisom and Roberson are back and I believe we all know how that school seems to get kids who work their tails off and develop into good linemen on both sides of the ball. They always seem to get kids who can come down with the ball in those 50-50 situations. For the last 15-20 years their strength and conditioning program has won a hell of a lot of games in the second half of games.

I kind of enjoy watching kids get developed by coaching staffs who were overlooked. Look at the number of kids who walked on at both UM and MSU and did pretty well.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
uofmman1122 said:

As I stated I'm not a betting person. Both Chisom and Roberson are back and I believe we all know how that school seems to get kids who work their tails off and develop into good linemen on both sides of the ball. They always seem to get kids who can come down with the ball in those 50-50 situations. For the last 15-20 years their strength and conditioning program has won a hell of a lot of games in the second half of games.

I kind of enjoy watching kids get developed by coaching staffs who were overlooked. Look at the number of kids who walked on at both UM and MSU and did pretty well.
I don't think you're wrong about any of that stuff, but none of that means they'll stand a chance against Florida or Oregon.

uofmman1122 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

I don't think you're wrong about any of that stuff, but none of that means they'll stand a chance against Florida or Oregon.

Both programs have new coaching staffs. Billy has been around football his entire life and was the runner-up in the Payton Award the year after he lost Louis Ivory in the semifinals against Georgia Southern. Saban, McElwaine, Bobo and his record with Louisana speaks loudly. I know he brought three of his Louisiana kids with him to Gainesville and I have to admit I could care less about pac 8 football (I'll even go so far as to state I hope the SEC and Big 10 form super conferences and absorb those crappy left coast schools and force Colorado back into the mid-major Big 12...but again, I digress), and ultimately, I kind of hope Eastern beats one of the money teams.

On paper, you're correct. What was that pac 8 team ranked when UM went to Lake Washington last year?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
uofmman1122 said:

Both programs have new coaching staffs. Billy has been around football his entire life and was the runner-up in the Payton Award the year after he lost Louis Ivory in the semifinals against Georgia Southern. Saban, McElwaine, Bobo and his record with Louisana speaks loudly. I know he brought three of his Louisiana kids with him to Gainesville and I have to admit I could care less about pac 8 football (I'll even go so far as to state I hope the SEC and Big 10 form super conferences and absorb those crappy left coast schools and force Colorado back into the mid-major Big 12...but again, I digress), and ultimately, I kind of hope Eastern beats one of the money teams.

On paper, you're correct. What was that pac 8 team ranked when UM went to Lake Washington last year?
That Griz team last year was a lot better than EWU will start the season this year, and both Florida and Oregon are going to be better than UW was last season.

I'm not saying they can't beat one of them, I'm just saying they won't.

uofmman1122 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

That Griz team last year was a lot better than EWU will start the season this year, and both Florida and Oregon are going to be better than UW was last season.

I'm not saying they can't beat one of them, I'm just saying they won't.

That's very safe prediction. I, on the other hand, will not be a bit surprised if Eastern beats one of them. And, I certainly hope it's not Billy's team. But, his predecessor did not recruit OL and left the locker room seriously depleted.

I hate this time of year...

Hate waiting to see what comes out of the weight room and just knocks the dog shit out of everybody starting in August...

Griz til I die said:
poorgriz said:
Ya, almost zero chance they go 5-6. This is EWU.
They've had down years before. I could certainly see them being better than 5-6, but which of those games are they going to win?

My prediction is they beat TN State, CP, Idaho, UNCNCU, and PSU. Then IMO they'll win one out of the MSU\UM games, and one out of Weber\Sac. I also bet they put a scare into on of the FBS opponents, probably Florida.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

What are our kids doing? Eating donuts and going to pride parades? :lol:

poorgriz said:
Griz til I die said:

My prediction is they beat TN State, CP, Idaho, UNCNCU, and PSU. Then IMO they'll win one out of the MSU\UM games, and one out of Weber\Sac. I also bet they put a scare into on of the FBS opponents, probably Florida.
I’m sorry, but I do not buy the hype that they will compete with Oregon or Florida. Their defense was mediocre at best last year, and it’s gonna be worse this year. Until they can figure that out, you can score all the points in the world, but you’ll still be in a dog fight week in and week out.

Griz til I die said:
poorgriz said:
I’m sorry, but I do not buy the hype that they will compete with Oregon or Florida. Their defense was mediocre at best last year, and it’s gonna be worse this year. Until they can figure that out, you can score all the points in the world, but you’ll still be in a dog fight week in and week out.

You could be right - we'll see! EWU is always pretty damn tough. Last year they beat everyone on their schedule except losing to Weber by 1 point, and the CATS by 3 points. Then won a playoff game and then lost to you. I'll be shocked if they have a losing record.

poorgriz said:
Griz til I die said:

You could be right - we'll see! EWU is always pretty damn tough. Last year they beat everyone on their schedule except losing to Weber by 1 point, and the CATS by 3 points. Then won a playoff game and then lost to you. I'll be shocked if they have a losing record.

I wouldn't mind it if they had a good year. I miss chopping it up with their fans who used to post in here. If they go 5-6, we may never hear from them again. Now, I hope the Bizon go 0-11, cancel the program, fold up the university, and all of their wins are vacated amid a massive FBI money laundering/illegal importing of cream cheese investigation.

Back