• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Possible FCS vs FBS Upsets (Haley)

IdaGriz01

I know many people on here are Haley-haters, but the guy does have the contacts and generally does his homework. As you would expect, it’s a long article, split into two parts … but worth a read in this “doldrums” time.
https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/05/2...otable-matchups-and-potential-upsets-part-i/

Of course, the Griz don’t have an FBS matchup, but the Big Sky has quite a few. A total of 15 with, obviously, several teams having more than one. Hadn’t noticed that EWU had two this year. Haley’s upset pick is Sac State at Colorado State … which looks like a pretty good notion to me.

As could be expected, Haley sees the CAA as having five “winnable” matchups, but I’m not even close to buying that. However … whenever I see UMass (or UConn, for that matter) as an opponent, I might concede a small exception.

He only picks one upset outright from the Missouri Valley (NSDU over Arizona), but I’m thinking more than that, maybe even two or three.

The NEC does not have much to offer. Even pitiful UConn should be able to handle Central Connecticut. (Smart of UConn to schedule an opponent they might actually win against.) At least Duquesne gets to go to Hawaii in mid-September.

Not much really jumps out to me from there, although McNeese at Rice has possibilities.

The only claim to fame for the WAC (ASUN-WAC Challenge) seems to be that they can beat New Mexico State. I’m not sure that even counts as an upset. :lol:

Just out of curiosity, I checked a couple of Haley’s upset leanings. The first was Chattanooga at Illinois. The Mocs actually looked pretty good at one point last year. They went on a run (four wins in a row) and looked like they might be the team to beat in the SoCon. They even made it into the FCS Top-25 Poll. Then the roof fell in and they didn’t even make the playoffs. I suppose if they play like the mid-season team from last year, they might have a chance at Illinois. Or the Illini could be looking ahead … they go on the road to Wisconsin for their next game. Chances: Slim to none.

The other one I looked at was Stephen F. Austin at Louisiana Tech. No question that La Tech (3-9) was crap last year, with a so-so offense and putrid defense … they gave up nearly 39 points in each of their last four games. Although, in the end, SFA turned out to be a paper tiger, they can certainly score points. One of those: “Whoever has the ball last wins.” Chances: Not out of the question.

Thought this would spark more interest, but apparently not (at least in terms of comment). So let’s look specifically at the Big Sky. Haley has only one “Upset to Watch For” – Sac State at Colorado State. Can’t argue with that, although there are those who think CSU will be on an upturn.

Admittedly, Idaho State is a crappy team, but they did play some teams tough. The point is that UNLV was also crap and no one thinks they’re going to get any better. Not expecting an upset there, but do not think it’s out of the question.

Although San Jose State as had some success in recent years, they didn’t even back into a bowl game last year. Lots of people, including some of their fans, think they’ve reverted to their “normal” bottom-feeder status. Of course, Portland State hasn’t been any good for a long time, but they’ve also had some notable wins along the way. Again … an upset not out of the question.

I like the mighty Bobcats over Oregon State. Neutral field will help. In fact, historically the Bobcats have played many more games at PGE than the Beavers.

ABQCat said:
I like the mighty Bobcats over Oregon State. Neutral field will help. In fact, historically the Bobcats have played many more games at PGE than the Beavers.

With all the proven talent MSC has coming back and a proven passing game with a very experienced QB, I think the Cats have a puncher’s chance. Like if the players all literally start punching the other team.

ABQCat said:
why is the game in Portland?

Yukon said:
ABQCat said:
why is the game in Portland?

OSU is doing a major renovation on their stadium

IdaGriz01 said:
I know many people on here are Haley-haters, but the guy does have the contacts and generally does his homework. As you would expect, it’s a long article, split into two parts … but worth a read in this “doldrums” time.
https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/05/2...otable-matchups-and-potential-upsets-part-i/

Of course, the Griz don’t have an FBS matchup, but the Big Sky has quite a few. A total of 15 with, obviously, several teams having more than one. Hadn’t noticed that EWU had two this year. Haley’s upset pick is Sac State at Colorado State … which looks like a pretty good notion to me.

As could be expected, Haley sees the CAA as having five “winnable” matchups, but I’m not even close to buying that. However … whenever I see UMass (or UConn, for that matter) as an opponent, I might concede a small exception.

He only picks one upset outright from the Missouri Valley (NSDU over Arizona), but I’m thinking more than that, maybe even two or three.

The NEC does not have much to offer. Even pitiful UConn should be able to handle Central Connecticut. (Smart of UConn to schedule an opponent they might actually win against.) At least Duquesne gets to go to Hawaii in mid-September.

Not much really jumps out to me from there, although McNeese at Rice has possibilities.

The only claim to fame for the WAC (ASUN-WAC Challenge) seems to be that they can beat New Mexico State. I’m not sure that even counts as an upset. :lol:

I told Mr Hailey on Facebook he was hated by Griz nation for his perceived bias against the team he was totally offended, replied hate was a very strong word.

IdaGriz01 said:

I told Mr Hailey on Facebook he was hated by Griz nation for his perceived bias against the team he was totally offended, replied hate was a very strong word.

Back