• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Does NDSU Stay Dominate for 10 years?

LaJollaGriz

Think about it, they play every year in the NC game. They have a 10-year W/L record better than every other team at any level, including Alabama. They have accomplished this with three different head coaches.

I have my thoughts on how they are able to keep this going every year, no matter who their head coach is:

1) They never change their system on offense or defense from coach-to-coach.
2) They focus on recruiting great offensive and defensive linemen, with the goal of dominating both lines-of-scrimmage every week
3) They play a run-first offensive style, with the run used to set-up the passing game
4) Because they are so good at running the football, they simply wear down teams as the game progresses. In looking at their second half scoring versus their opponents, it is way more one-sided than most any team I have witnessed. You might hang with them in the first half, but they will make you pay after half-time.
5) They recruit nationally. They have players from 16 states on their roster, including several from the recruiting meccas of Florida and Texas

Any other thoughts?

LaJollaGriz said:
I have my thoughts on how they are able to keep this going every year, no matter who their head coach is:

1) They pay $$$ all their players well.
2) They never change their system on offense or defense from coach-to-coach.
3) They focus on recruiting great offensive and defensive linemen, with the goal of dominating both lines-of-scrimmage every week
4) They play a run-first offensive style, with the run used to set-up the passing game
5) Because they are so good at running the football, they simply wear down teams as the game progresses. In looking at their second half scoring versus their opponents, it is way more one-sided than most any team I have witnessed. You might hang with them in the first half, but they will make you pay after half-time.
6) They recruit nationally. They have players from 16 states on their roster, including several from the recruiting meccas of Florida and Texas

Any other thoughts?

Proud Griz Man said:
LaJollaGriz said:

1) They pay $$$ all their players well.
2) They never change their system on offense or defense from coach-to-coach.
3) They focus on recruiting great offensive and defensive linemen, with the goal of dominating both lines-of-scrimmage every week
4) They play a run-first offensive style, with the run used to set-up the passing game
5) Because they are so good at running the football, they simply wear down teams as the game progresses. In looking at their second half scoring versus their opponents, it is way more one-sided than most any team I have witnessed. You might hang with them in the first half, but they will make you pay after half-time.
6) They recruit nationally. They have players from 16 states on their roster, including several from the recruiting meccas of Florida and Texas

Any other thoughts?

What proof do you have that they pay players?

LaJollaGriz said:

In NDSU's case, a full-scholarship athlete will receive $3,400 per year to do as they wish-a figure set by the school's financial aid office. It is called. Pay to play and legal folks.

Copper Griz said:
LaJollaGriz said:

In NDSU's case, a full-scholarship athlete will receive $3,400 per year to do as they wish-a figure set by the school's financial aid office. It is called. Pay to play and legal folks.

If this is legal, why aren't we doing it?

:?: :?: :?:
where have you hid for the last 4+ years, it has been going on for yearssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

LaJollaGriz said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/fcs-power-north-dakota-st-athlete-stipends-154006202--ncaaf.html

https://www.themorningsun.com/2015/08/27/fcs-power-north-dakota-state-to-provide-athlete-stipends/#:~:text=NDSU%20says%20it%20will%20start%20providing%20stipends%20to,will%20be%20up%20to%20%243%2C400%20per%20full%20scholarship.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/fcs-power-north-dakota-st-athlete-stipends-154006202--ncaaf.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/08/27/fcs-power-north-dakota-st--provide-athlete-stipends/32475761/

Proud Griz Man said:
:?: :?: :?:
where have you hid for the last 4+ years, it has been going on for yearssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

LaJollaGriz said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/fcs-power-north-dakota-st-athlete-stipends-154006202--ncaaf.html

https://www.themorningsun.com/2015/08/27/fcs-power-north-dakota-state-to-provide-athlete-stipends/#:~:text=NDSU%20says%20it%20will%20start%20providing%20stipends%20to,will%20be%20up%20to%20%243%2C400%20per%20full%20scholarship.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/fcs-power-north-dakota-st-athlete-stipends-154006202--ncaaf.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/08/27/fcs-power-north-dakota-st--provide-athlete-stipends/32475761/

I guess I missed that one. But again, why aren't we doing it too?

Cost of attendance has definitely helped their recruiting this past several years. They are centrally located to high populous areas that are full of big strapping farm kids which is where they made their living for their runs in D2 and their first few years in the FCS. Once they started to perennially dominate and pull multiple upsets over FBS schools their recruiting footprint has gotten bigger. They mentioned a recruiting trip to Tampa during the JMU game.

Their style of play has survived through multiple coaching changes and their culture has only gotten better. I also have a few other thoughts, but other than a highly publicized incident in 2019 It’s probably just conjecture.

Wolf777 said:
Cost of attendance has definitely helped their recruiting this past several years. They are centrally located to high populous areas that are full of big strapping farm kids which is where they made their living for their runs in D2 and their first few years in the FCS. Once they started to perennially dominate and pull multiple upsets over FBS schools their recruiting footprint has gotten bigger. They mentioned a recruiting trip to Tampa during the JMU game.

Their style of play has survived through multiple coaching changes and their culture has only gotten better. I also have a few other thoughts, but other than a highly publicized incident in 2019 It’s probably just conjecture.

We farm now in highly populous areas?

AZGrizFan said:
Wolf777 said:

Would you agree that Minnesota, Iowa, and even Eastern South Dakota is much more populous than Montana? Also that all these states in their footprint are heavily farmed areas? I said populous areas and not urban centers. Big difference, no?

AZGrizFan said:
Wolf777 said:

Minnesota and Wisconsin. Each have only 1 Devision I program, I believe. Lots of big Nordic kids.

It all starts and ends with dominating line play on both sides of the ball.

Griz average QBs would look like Manziel behind that OL.

Dominating OL and DL make everyone look better, it all starts and ends there

Tony Clifton said:
It all starts and ends with dominating line play on both sides of the ball.

Griz average QBs would look like Manziel behind that OL.

Dominating OL and DL make everyone look better, it all starts and ends there

I gotta agree with this. Yes they have had some great QBs, two of which were #1 draft picks, and Sweat, who I believe is still on an NFL roster. But even without these stud QBs, they still dominate because of their great lines

I am still waiting for somebody to address why NDSU pays players, but we don't. Is it because the BOR won't allow it? Just wondering.

The better question is - Will egriz posters ever learn to differentiate between DOMINANT and DOMINATE and use them correctly? My money is on NO.

Da Boyz Mom said:
The better question is - Will egriz posters ever learn to differentiate between DOMINANT and DOMINATE and use them correctly? My money is on NO.

Both terms are from the same root word. A dominant team is dominant every week of the season, and because of their dominance they are able to dominate their opponent with consistent regularity.

LaJollaGriz said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Both terms are from the same root word. A dominant team is dominant every week of the season, and because of their dominance they are able to dominate their opponent with consistent regularity.

Great use of proper English!! You may still want to fix your thread title, however, since that is still incorrect.

Da Boyz Mom said:

There is a reason that #RTD hash tag is laughed at by everyone outside of Missoula.

Return to dominate just doesn't have the ring

Back