• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM / College Transfer Portal

Paytonlives

Staff member
Hate to start this but here we go....

Leaving UM (1)
P/K- Brian Buschini (Nebraska)

Joining the Griz (6)
QB- Lucas Johnson 6'3" 215 (San Diego State) 1 to play 1
OL- Dylan Mayginnes 6'5" 300 (Wash State) (Instagram)
WR- Sawyer Racanelli 6' 2" 210 (2. 3-star) (U of Washington)

LB/ATH- Garrett Hustedt 6'2" 230 (Nebraska) 3 to play 3 (Instagram)
DB- Jayden Dawson 5'11" 190 (Idaho State) 1 to play 1
CB- Robert Whitehead 6'1" 180 (Grossmont J.C.) 3 to play 2

Talk about making college recruiting 100 x harder. Go out and get good guys, coach them up, and pray they don't decide to leave for "greener pastures"

putter said:
Talk about making college recruiting 100 x harder. Go out and get good guys, coach them up, and pray they don't decide to leave for "greener pastures"

This is the death knell of collegiate athletics we grew up with.

I guess you do spell "team" with an "I".

fanofzoo said:
putter said:

I just saw somebody question the transfer portal as being the death of the backup quarterback. Seems legit to me.

The real death is not the portal as much as it's the rule change that to move up or laterally you no longer need to sit a year. This supplies the portal which is just a store in which to shop.

The other huge issue that no one is talking about is the NIL. If a kid goes to a Power 5 or even a mid level, his chances of getting some NIL money is much greater. Hell, the QB from Alabama made well over a $1M this year on NIL deals. I am not implying that a kid can transfer from UM, MSU, etc., and get that kind of money. But if a kid can go to one of those schools, get a scholly, and get some money on top of that, how is he not better off? It is a whole new ballgame, and we need to figure out how to compete.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/university-of-texas-longhorns-lineman-nil-salary-college-football-sec

Linemen at the University of Texas are poised to start making $50,000 per year via NIL benefits through a booster group called The Pancake Factory. Basically, they're getting a salary from rich Texas football fans, and it's under the guise of the name, image, likeness rule that allows athletes to monetize themselves and actually get paid for the revenue they bring to their schools (albeit not from the NCAA or the schools themselves).

The NIL arms race as already begun. Before that though... the Montana schools couldn't even compete with the cost of attendance additional money like other FCS schools.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2015/08/27/ndsu-offer-scholarship-athletes-cost-attendance/32474755/

The anticipated additional cost for NDSU will be up to $3,400 per full scholarship, the athletic department said in its announcement. This initiative will be funded exclusively through private donations. The athletics department has secured lead gifts from several donors that will provide a matching funds program for the first three years of implementation.

Brother Bear said:
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/university-of-texas-longhorns-lineman-nil-salary-college-football-sec

Linemen at the University of Texas are poised to start making $50,000 per year via NIL benefits through a booster group called The Pancake Factory. Basically, they're getting a salary from rich Texas football fans, and it's under the guise of the name, image, likeness rule that allows athletes to monetize themselves and actually get paid for the revenue they bring to their schools (albeit not from the NCAA or the schools themselves).

The NIL arms race as already begun. Before that though... the Montana schools couldn't even compete with the cost of attendance additional money like other FCS schools.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2015/08/27/ndsu-offer-scholarship-athletes-cost-attendance/32474755/

The anticipated additional cost for NDSU will be up to $3,400 per full scholarship, the athletic department said in its announcement. This initiative will be funded exclusively through private donations. The athletics department has secured lead gifts from several donors that will provide a matching funds program for the first three years of implementation.

At one point I believe we offered free hotdogs.

Ursa Major said:
Brother Bear said:

At one point I believe we offered free hotdogs.
:lol:

I was shocked when I heard about Buschini hitting the portal the very day he was named Punter of the Year. While I as a homer would have voted for Sam Clark, given the number of times I saw Buschini either named Special Teams POW or at least nominated for it, he was VERY worthy. His ability to flip the field for the Griz will be sorely missed next year....

SuperHornet said:
I was shocked when I heard about Buschini hitting the portal the very day he was named Punter of the Year. While I as a homer would have voted for Sam Clark, given the number of times I saw Buschini either named Special Teams POW or at least nominated for it, he was VERY worthy. His ability to flip the field for the Griz will be sorely missed next year....
This was no surprise to Hauck; he already has his replacement committed. There will be very little fall off.

Absolutely needed to pin this, but should probably generalize it to "FCS Transfer Portal" to include moves that impact potential competitors.

Sad, but the new world of easy transfers and big NIL $$$ has -- as many expected -- turned the FCS and also many G-5 programs into a minor league system for the P-5 schools. Great for the top athletes, but not so good for the lesser guys (and college football in general, IMO). Unless you're rated a 5-star or (maybe) a 4-star prospect out of high school, your chances of getting a scholarship from a P-5 school has dropped even more. Out of pure self-interest (win games!), the P-5 schools will need to fill their rosters with more "proven" athletes from the transfer portal.

That will change coaching too. The ability to "develop" raw talent becomes less of a priority ... let those poor smucks in the minor leagues do that. We can then cherry-pick the best. Still, it will also add luster to coaches who can polish a very good player into greatness ... so it's not all bad.

Sadly, little of this is good news for us as fans. (I'll say no more.)

I’d like to know how many people that are sad about how the nil money is working when compared to the people who told me I was an idiot when I said the scholarship money was enough. Careful what you ask for, you might get it.

fanofzoo said:
putter said:

This...
:|

Seems to me like the NIL will turn our in-state recruiting battles into a Dennis Washington* vs. Jake Jabs* bidding war.

*representative cutouts for wealthy program boosters.

Over the years, UM has been fortunate to attract several very good drop downs from FBS schools. Two that come to mind are Miller and Ochs. That could dry up now as they will likely move to another FBS school rather than a FCS school.

Spanky2 said:
Over the years, UM has been fortunate to attract several very good drop downs from FBS schools. Two that come to mind are Miller and Ochs. That could dry up now as they will likely move to another FBS school rather than a FCS school.
Changing the rule that an FBS player no longer has to sit out a year to transfer laterally is a killer for us. We would never have gotten those two under today's rule.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
Changing the rule that an FBS player no longer has to sit out a year to transfer laterally is a killer for us. We would never have gotten those two under today's rule.

Going to be a killer for FCS programs like the punter you just lost. I would be shocked if the major programs don't have a "draft board" set up for lower divisions (and probably lower FBS too) and are ready to pounce as soon as a player enters the portal.

footballdood said:
kemajic said:

Going to be a killer for FCS programs like the punter you just lost. I would be shocked if the major programs don't have a "draft board" set up for lower divisions (and probably lower FBS too) and are ready to pounce as soon as a player enters the portal.

Not only do they have said “draft boards”. The big dogs have 100 people departments dedicated solely to recruiting and the transfer portal. Getting those recruits in line with the NIL money and setting up their social media accounts and tracking them.

It’s not something the FCS schools will ever be able to compete with.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
Totally agree.

Personally, I think that the program that accepts a transfer should be required to reimburse the school that he transfers from. Except for walk-ons, the first school had to pony up a scholarship. Then (walk-on or not), a staff of paid coaches helped him develop his skills. And the games (financed by the school) provided the "platform" to publicize his skills. After all, when a minor league baseball player gets traded (sold) to another organization, the company that drafted him expects some value for their investment. Since that's what college football has turned into ... Why not the same here?

Wifely input: Maybe they should get a lower-level player back, like so often happens in minor league trades. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back